Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Name Change Before Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Name Change Before Flight?

Hello, I have a court hearing for a name change the day before my flight. That means my name on my passport, ID, and ticket will all match up. Do you think I will be able to board the plane? Should I reschedule my court hearing a month later (when I come back)?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not sure I understand, but if your name on the date of travel does not match what the ticket is issued in , then no, you won't be able to board. Change your name after you come back.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What country, where are you travelling to & from?

Easiest is to simply handle a legal name change after you return and you will be in whatever country you reside for a sufficient to have your passport and other key documents and accounts changed to your new name.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Actually, re-reading this, I wonder whether the name change will in fact match up with what the ticket is issued in. I'm a little confused by the question.

Is your name currently A or B? Is the ticket issued in the name of A or B?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:45 pm

If you only have a court order, but haven't changed or updated any of your ID's, I would travel under your old name until you get a chance to update everything. If possible I would delay the court hearing until after the travel, especially if its out of country.

In the US, generally, you can use any name you want as long as you aren't concealing your identity or trying to commit fraud.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @Thu Vu.

Please follow the redirect as we move your query.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Welcome to FT!

It sounds like the ticket and passport (which is also your ID for this purpose) will match, because the name change will be too recent to affect either of them. In that case, nobody at any airport will know about your name change. It's not as if there is some universal database that records name changes and tells everyone. Fly under your old name. After your trip, get new documents.
DutchessPDX likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.