Wiki Posts
Search

Immigration/Security Howlers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Immigration/Security Howlers

This is only just about BA related as I was on a BA code share flight out of Jakarta but I went through Immigration last week with my wife's passport. She went through with mine a few desks down. Doesn't fill you with much confidence...Nice shiny new, empty terminal though.

Anyone else had any similar experiences? I've also been stamped into Malaysia with the wrong date!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:50 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As this really is not anything to do with BA, moving to TravelBuzz.

/mod
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Where? At the e-gates at LHR or in Jakarta. It would seem surprising at a manned Immigration desk.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:51 am

Do you and your mrs. look alike ?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I've recalled this a few times on here but I had someone at CPT go from check-in, through exit immigration, security, access the lounge and board the aircraft with my boarding pass...we didn't have the same name. I was only aware when the FA asked to see my boarding pass and the guy was standing there expecting to take my seat. I grabbed my passport and boarding pass and handed them over, seeing he had an exact duplicate of mine (my name, FF details, etc.)
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:04 am

And obviously this howler from Emirates

Woman flies on husband passport
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I went thru CBSA security and US CBP immigration and customs here in YYC with a boarding pass in the african american female name of my work colleague, and she with mine........an obvious caucasian male name.

The UA kiosk spit them out and we both were assigned the same seat.

Recognized the problem while sitting waiting to board.

Last edited by KDS777; Jun 21, 2018 at 10:07 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
In PNH once I arrived very late for my flight. At security I just put my bag on the belt, walked through the metal detector without removing anything from my pockets, grabbed my bag and just gave a nod to the poor guy standing there with the wand wondering why I didn't stop.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by DieselYVR
In PNH once I arrived very late for my flight. At security I just put my bag on the belt, walked through the metal detector without removing anything from my pockets, grabbed my bag and just gave a nod to the poor guy standing there with the wand wondering why I didn't stop.
I forgot about one situation...I'd actually prefer to not going into specifics as the country, let alone airport or when it happened but this was when flying commercial at a large international airport. I was directed away from the WTMD and through the "staff gate" security officers use. I was expecting to get wanded down or directed for a hand search, but instead was just waved to go and collect my bags. I hovered for about 30 seconds until I was told that they were not going to search me and was sent on my way. I literally didn't have anything on my person searched at any point, just my bags. Given the nature of security at said airport I was concerned at that stage about bringing up the fact to a security agent that I hadn't been searched, and the area I was had many passengers just a few feet from me who were in sterile area mingling around in shops and so forth. so perhaps rather foolishly went on my way.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: DL PM
Flying from France to the U.S. last month there were two lines, one for EU passports and one for all others. The EU line was much longer, so we were pleased to be in the all others line. It took us 15-20 minutes to snake our way to the front where there was one booth open and both lines feathering into one where all passports were checked by that one guy in the booth. I assume that was because at some point there had been or would be more than one booth open for non-converging lines, but it sure got a lot of chuckles and head shakes from folks as they shuffled up only to find us all talking to the same dude. It seemed very French.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:41 am

Flying from JFK to LHR the other morning, I’d checked in for both of us on the BA app, downloaded our BPs and sent my wife hers. I then forgot to delete my wife’s from my phone and if course caused much confusion to the TSA agent by presenting hers. Fortunatley she’d gone through ahead of me somit simply wouldn’t scan. Then at the gate her BP wouldn’t scan and she had to be processed manually. She blamed my faux pas for that.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:58 pm

At our local airport, my notebook computer was taken aside for security inspection.
I was slightly concerned as the keyboard was in a bit of a state and the screen
was covered in finger-marks
"I'm sorry but it's a bit dirty" I said.
"Whatever is on your computer is of no concern to us" came the somewhat unexpected reply.
pinniped likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rpjs
Flying from JFK to LHR the other morning, I’d checked in for both of us on the BA app, downloaded our BPs and sent my wife hers. I then forgot to delete my wife’s from my phone and if course caused much confusion to the TSA agent by presenting hers. Fortunatley she’d gone through ahead of me somit simply wouldn’t scan.

The TSA barcode readers are not tied to any backend systems so there's no reason a barcode could not scan multiple times.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I took the train to Edinburgh to catch EDI - DUB but left my passport behind in Aberdeen.

At the time I did not have dual citizenship, only Australian. Which meant I shouldn:t have been able to enter and return without showing my passport and a quick Q&A from immigration officer.

But they let me go through on my UK drivers licence, and back into the UK later in the week, without even checking.

Some years before, when I did have my Australian passport, I was entering DUB and showed it to the young woman marshalling the Immigration lines and was shocked to hear her say something rude.

Until I followed her outstretched hand and realised she was pointing to the far queue.
B747-437B and yytleisure like this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rpjs
Flying from JFK to LHR the other morning, I’d checked in for both of us on the BA app, downloaded our BPs and sent my wife hers. I then forgot to delete my wife’s from my phone and if course caused much confusion to the TSA agent by presenting hers. Fortunatley she’d gone through ahead of me somit simply wouldn’t scan. Then at the gate her BP wouldn’t scan and she had to be processed manually. She blamed my faux pas for that.
I've done the exact same thing but in reverse. I had both on my app, my wife only had hers. When I went through security at LGW, I mistakenly used her bp - she then had a terrible time trying to get through security until I was recalled from the sterile side for me to scan the correct bp, and re-clear security. With the bps being matched to photos, this would also cause big problems at the gate, I was told, since the second photo scan at the gate would reject people if the wrong person was linked to the wrong bp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.