Wiki Posts
Search

Woman flies on husband passport

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Woman flies on husband passport

Wife 'flew Manchester to India on husband's passport' - BBC News

An airline is investigating how a woman flew 4,200 miles from Manchester to Delhi on her husband's passport. A relative of Geeta Modha said she "accidentally" picked up her partner Dilip's passport when she set off on a business trip to India on 23 April. The family member said the "shocking" error was not spotted at check-in or on boarding the Emirates flight and Mrs Modha only realised at Delhi airport. Emirates apologised saying its "usual high standards were not followed".

Surely EK to blame, but also the passenger - didn't realise all this while carrying her husband's passport ! I definitely glance through my passport before handing it over to the check-in desk or even at gate security. Or maybe both the wife and husband look similar and hence the passenger didn't notice the difference
Old May 2, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I check my passport every time I leave to go to the airport, to make sure it's my most current/valid one, as I've got a few older ones that are full/expired/cancelled. I usually just glance at the expiry date.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
All my old passports have holes in them (a simple hole punch seems to be how Norway likes to invalidate old passports at renewal time.) So I don't have trouble distinguishing them.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Pax basically is to blame. OK.
EK is to blame. Why not.

But, how about Manchester police who let her through ??
Old May 2, 2018, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I want to see pictures.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by ioto1902
Pax basically is to blame. OK.
EK is to blame. Why not.

Isn't there no immigration check exiting the UK?

Sounds like the Indian immigration authorities caught her.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:26 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Am I really the only one who wonders why ‘Emirates is to blame’?
When we book any ticket, we are warned that ‘it is the passenger ‘s responsibility to ensure all travel documentation is in order (or words to that effect).
Surely, this should have been picked up at several points en route (including by EK at check in and at boarding), but EK ‘to blame’? Certainly not, it is a typical case of the current fashion of individuals refusing to take responsibility for their actions.
BadoRas and steff_29 like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Isn't there no immigration check exiting the UK?

Sounds like the Indian immigration authorities caught her.
Double negative aside, no, there isn’t.
Old May 3, 2018, 1:24 am

It's an easy mistake to make - the article said she was flying with her own OCI card, which looks exactly like a passport booklet inside.

If she presented the OCI card at check-in, boarding and other checks, it is quite conceivable that it was mistaken for an Indian passport - and of course it had her own picture, details, etc.. which would have matched her ticket.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Am I really the only one who wonders why ‘Emirates is to blame’?
When we book any ticket, we are warned that ‘it is the passenger ‘s responsibility to ensure all travel documentation is in order (or words to that effect).
Surely, this should have been picked up at several points en route (including by EK at check in and at boarding), but EK ‘to blame’? Certainly not, it is a typical case of the current fashion of individuals refusing to take responsibility for their actions.
Emirates to blame since it is airlines' responsibility to verify identification. In case of deportation due to incorrect visa/identification, it is the airline that has to bear the cost.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I want to see pictures.

The passenger
Old May 3, 2018, 3:06 am
Suspended

Now the husband please
Old May 3, 2018, 3:46 am

Do they also have the same name? As don't normally the check in staff swipe the machine readable portion of the passport to bring up the booking? Surely that step would have failed?
Old May 3, 2018, 3:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ioto1902
Nothing to do with the Police.

Generally, there are no outbound passport checks by UKBF.

So, it would be EK who were responsible for ensuring she had the correct documents.
Old May 3, 2018, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Do they also have the same name? As don't normally the check in staff swipe the machine readable portion of the passport to bring up the booking? Surely that step would have failed?
For Indians the names on the ticket barely ever match the passport, so that's barely a flag, also often the wife will share the husband's family name depending on which region they're from and which religion they follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.