Reload this Page >

the amazement of the first time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the amazement of the first time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by T2A
So true! I love taking friends and family who don't fly often to the lounge. Im always amazed at how excited they are.

However after experiencing international F and J lounges, you know just how lacking domestic lounges are. Haha
OMG so true, both the OP and what you said! My first time in an AA lounge it was such a nice respite from the terminal. Then I saw what they had on offer at LHR and was blown away. Luckily if you are Oneworld, the AA Flagship lounge is competitive to international offerings, but that's not available from any program except J seats.

Originally Posted by mules
I love traveling with first time/infrequent travelers. Their enthusiasm and curiosity helps me see it all with fresh eyes. I am taking 4 to Italy in October and am really looking forward to the excitement of the hot towels in J class, the lie flat seat, and the flagship lounge in Chicago. I can't wait to see what they notice about Rome etc that I no longer pay attention to.
I was going to surprise my mom with a J upgrade on a trip to Vienna by telling her "I need to book it on my credit card for the trip insurance" then buying J. She ended up not coming with us at all (even before booking, her maybe became "can't go" when I invited her), so I didn't get to experience that excitement. Maybe one day.
mules likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:50 am

Heading OT here: I would like to commend our local Rotary group who has made a real effort to diversify the socioeconomic groups of kids they are sending out on a year abroad and are financially committed to making it feasible. This year 3 low income students are heading out. Rotary is currently fundraising so that these kids have pocket money too for the year. I think that is outstanding.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
My wife and son recently flew to meat me in Beijing. My Citi card gives her access to the Admirals Club. My son texted me saying he was having a hard time getting her out of the lounge and to the gate. Between the guac bar and the coffee machine she, apparently, forgot she was there to catch a flight. I switched hotels when they arrived to an upscale Hilton with Executive Lounge. She was assumed I was pampered this way on all my trips. I had to explain how many nights in Hilton Garden Inns, Hampton Inns, and Doubletrees it took to get this level of service. Also, on the return, my son was several rows up from me in J. A few hours in I saw him doubled over and sound asleep. He had no idea it was a lie flat seat. Sorry for babbling.....
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
I was flying in Y on a red-eye LAX-TPE and the other lady in my row struck up a conversation with me. When I heard that she had been up since before dawn and would have a long layover in TPE before another long flight, I spontaneously offered to guest her into the lounges to enjoy a hot shower and a good feed.

IMO the BR and SQ lounges in TPE are quite nice (BR - fabulous showers with back massage nozzles, L'Occitane toiletries, tasty local style food. SQ - nice breakfast food, not crowded). We went to SQ first. I had to reassure my new pal twice that she could help herself freely to any of the food, and that she wouldn't need to clear her own plates and cutlery. She was so excited that she immediately texted her kids and husband to tell them she was in a lounge. I even posed for a photo for her to post on Facebook to tell her other friends about her chance meeting with me

I then took her to BR, which I had recommended as the best one for a shower. Later that day, I received a text raving about the shower and again thanking me profusely. She also said that she felt inspired to be more organised with her mileage, so that she might enjoy more lounge time in the future

I'm a young lady, but I've been flying a lot since I was a baby, so I do sometimes take the whole travel and lounge thing for granted. It definitely made me smile to see someone get so starry eyed about the lounge experience and I'm glad I could make her day with it!
mules and Uncle Nonny like this.

Last edited by FlyingJoy; Jul 24, 2018 at 9:01 am
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:25 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Well, it was on a beach. The waves were rhythmically lapping at the shore . . . .

Oh, first time in a lounge. Carry on.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by FlyingJoy
I was flying in Y on a red-eye LAX-TPE and the other lady in my aisle struck up a conversation with me. When I heard that she had been up since before dawn and would have a long layover in TPE before another long flight, I spontaneously offered to guest her into the lounges to enjoy a hot shower and a good feed.
I've done this many times if I m flying alone. I really enjoy guesting people into lounges, especially if they have never been.
FlyingJoy likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by T2A
So true! I love taking friends and family who don't fly often to the lounge. Im always amazed at how excited they are.
Same. I always fly my mom in first whether I am with her or not. She loves it. If we are together, I take her to lounges and get her whatever she wants.

I've also amazed quite a few coworkers buy taking them to a lounge. It's easy to forget that even a lot of well-off people do not take 100+ flights a year or aren't at all familiar with these perks and tricks. I am only about 30-40 these days but I used to fly twice a week and those habits and that knowledge never goes away. It's just second nature to me, but only when I fly with others do I realize that actually being able to answer the question "hmm... wonder what is good to eat here" when you are in an airport far from home is not the norm.

I love giving people extra drink tickets and such when they are going to expire and I don't need them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.