Have you driven after long flight ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you driven after long flight ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:39 am
Suspended

I think one thing people don't consider is that even if they can routinely sleep on planes, and even if they have lie flats for the flight, you never know if some other factor will be depriving you of sleep on the flight. I remember a FRA-YYZ flight where I planned to be well rested enough to drive on my return, only to have been kept awake the entire flight by relentless turbulence, a crying baby, and hunger from the inability of the crew to do meal services due to the rough air. It's best to assume that after a long haul, you will be more exhausted than you think.
StartinSanDiego and rickg523 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I think one thing people don't consider is that even if they can routinely sleep on planes, and even if they have lie flats for the flight, you never know if some other factor will be depriving you of sleep...It's best to assume that after a long haul, you will be more exhausted than you think.
So this also happens. Last week, returned from a 4 week trip ending with a 10 hour TATL into SFO. Normally, I'll book a flight that lands late afternoon or early evening and take a room near the airport for the night and drive the 90 minutes home the next morning.
This trip I wanted to get in one more 747 upper deck flight, so I left Europe around 10 am, arriving SFO around noon (local time; it was 9 pm to me). So I decided to take the drive right after landing.
Well... for whatever reason, that 90 minute drive turned into a 3 hour 45 minute slog. Average speed less than 35 mph all the way. Effectively, 2 am before I unlocked my front door.
Four days later and I'm just finally getting on California time.
(But the flight itself - KLM - was terrific. )
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I also used to make arrangements so that I COULD drive after long flights but in reality that meant that, even if I had managed no sleep on a flight against all expectations, I would then HAVE to drive. Once you've booked the rental car and the hotel at your destination you feel way more obligated to make the drive, even if you feel toasted.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:04 am

Only you would know whether you can do it. A few years ago, we flew to Napoli then I rented a car to drive to the Amalfi Coast. First time on the Amalfi Coast and first time driving a stick shift but we made it, both ways.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:27 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, bocung
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by bocung
Only you would know whether you can do it. A few years ago, we flew to Napoli then I rented a car to drive to the Amalfi Coast. First time on the Amalfi Coast and first time driving a stick shift but we made it, both ways.
Welcome to FT.

You're wrong! People here shall dictate how it works for everyone else! How dare you drive after a flight!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hdszx
Nagaraj

Thats right So then my 2-3 hour drive ends up being either very tired but during the day, or somewhat tired and at night. Neither one is ideal. But driving in the dark (latter) is just more hairy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.