Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH vs. UA vs. BA Business Class

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 10:50 am
Original Poster

LH vs. UA vs. BA Business Class

I'm getting ready to book a trip to Greece. Given the phenomenal business class fares, this will be a revenue ticket for me which is unusual (normally my airline choices is based on where my points are).

I've got three choices, each identical in price: LH, UA, and BA. I'm trying decided which would be the best, given that all three have some pretty obvious cons. I've flown UA and BA in J several times so I have a good idea of what I'd be getting, though I haven't been on BA since the new Club World service began. I tried to capture some of the pros and cons but I'm kind of torn. Any thoughts on who you'd go with?

Lufthansa:
Pros: better 2x2x2 layout, more consistent service, best flight timing for my itinerary, less time on an inter-Europe plane
Cons: sometimes weird menus, no snacks, lame pre-arrival meals (soup and salad), more limited IFE

BA:
Pros: I think the seats are very comfortable for sleeping, new and improved bedding and meal service
Cons: dense seating, less consistent service than LH (but more consistent than UA), most time on an inter-Europe plane

UA:
Pros: Improved bedding and meal service (though meals are still average, IMHO), would be able to access new Polaris lounges in both directions, less time on an inter-Europe plane (connection in Germany)
Cons: Requires a second stop on my return, inconsistent service, dense seating (unless the seat map changes by October, it would be in old J seats)

Last edited by CurbedEnthusiasm; May 18, 2018 at 10:54 am Reason: Forgot something
Old May 18, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect LH is the winner, though I've never flown BA J class.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Where do you typically credit your revenue flights? Would one of these lead you to an elite status?

Honestly, none of these three are among my favorites in J. Might go LH just for the less-dense layout and what *should* be a better soft product.

Or...might go BA because I've been crediting to AS this year, and the J partner multipliers on AS are usually quite nice compared to a revenue-based program. (Guessing this based on "phenomenal fare". )
Old May 19, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Presuming that the OP is flying from the USA, I should imagine that LH is the winner and doubly so if the connection is in MUC rather than FRA. In theory the Polaris lounge can be accessed when flying LH.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Downside of LH is the foot situation (if flying alone) which can be better or worse depending on plane type
Old May 19, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
BA CW is crap--don't do it. Horrible seats (you have to crawl over someone to get out, 1998 circa IFE, and food that is more or less inedible.

Go LH.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback so far. I will be traveling with my partner so the lack of direct aisle access or "footsie" situation is not an issue.

Sorry to mention, but yes, I will be flying from the States.

I'm no longer a business traveler so crediting for status is no longer a concern.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
BA CW is crap--don't do it. Horrible seats (you have to crawl over someone to get out, 1998 circa IFE, and food that is more or less inedible.

Go LH.
I haven't been on BA J since last September; do you still feel that way about the new Do&Co catering?
Old May 19, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Considered EK EWR-ATH? 77W in 2-3-2 though
Old May 19, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
I haven't been on BA J since last September; do you still feel that way about the new Do&Co catering?
It was a year ago I flew CW atl-lhr so if there is new catering since I in all fairness can't comment. It doesn't matter as the seat and dinosaur IFE are enough to ever not redeem miles there again, not to mention the horrible surcharge of flying BA into heathrow.
Old May 19, 2018, 2:32 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Where in the US are you departing from? I can't comment on BA or UA but LH is introducing better beddings on longer TATL routes this summer. Check this thread: LH introduces pyjamas and mattresses in Business Class

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you will be able to access new Polaris lounges in both directions. As far as I know there are only two Polaris lounges so far, ORD and SFO. As pointed out already you will be able to access the Polaris lounge at these airports if you are departing on LH in Business.
Old May 19, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
What's the routing options?

I generally avoid BA Club World though the soft product can be quite nice the seating, even on the 787 & A380, are not up to current J hard product standards. I don't mind transiting LHR but some find it tedious.

LH has a nice product and if you are on a 744 or 747-8i you can try for a seat upstairs which has a novelty. I also don't mind transiting in FRA but MUC is preferred. As mentioned the timing is preferred to the OP so that is a huge advantage to me.
UA on PMCO seats are good for a couple but if on a PMUA with high density J I'd go with BA for the better chance in the soft product arena.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
With LH I'd add the following cons: The seat is less private than CW, since you don't have the side partitions and you sit a little higher (at least, on an A380 you do with the air cushion). Some configurations your feet are close to the person next to you. Are you traveling solo or with someone?

But overall I think I'd choose Lufthansa because your pros as listed (timing and less intra-Europe flying). Plus, regarding the Polaris lounge, wouldn't you have access to it flying LH as a Star Alliance business class passenger?
Old May 20, 2018, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Considered EK EWR-ATH? 77W in 2-3-2 though
I'm flying from Washington, DC; I didn't see any codeshares come up that connect on that EK flight. Plus, while I enjoyed EK J last year, I wouldn't fly out of my way for it...especially on a 777.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
What's the routing options?

I generally avoid BA Club World though the soft product can be quite nice the seating, even on the 787 & A380, are not up to current J hard product standards. I don't mind transiting LHR but some find it tedious.

LH has a nice product and if you are on a 744 or 747-8i you can try for a seat upstairs which has a novelty. I also don't mind transiting in FRA but MUC is preferred. As mentioned the timing is preferred to the OP so that is a huge advantage to me.
UA on PMCO seats are good for a couple but if on a PMUA with high density J I'd go with BA for the better chance in the soft product arena.
I've decided to eliminate BA. 4-hours on an inter-Europe product is not my idea of a good time.

I think I've landed on an itinerary that is on UA (PMCO) outbound and LH (A330 via MUC) returning. It has the best timing of all the options and minimizes inter-Europe J.
Yoshi212 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.