Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving personal items at seat in lounges

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Leaving personal items at seat in lounges

Curious as to what FTers are like with this.

I'm quite protective and wary of my personal things. It's not that I'm a generally suspicious person, it's more that the sorts of things I bring with me on a flight are exactly those I probably couldn't live without. Phone, passport, laptop etc. I generally take my ipad with me too and have it all in a backpack.

A year or two ago, I'd put my things down, coat etc- and then as a force of habit always then take my backpack with me to get food/beverages etc. Recently, I've caught myself relaxing on this principal. Essentially assuring myself I think it's highly unlikely that a premium passenger would steal/be generally interested in any of my belongings. If one looks around T5 GF lounge, there's regularly a plethora of unguarded passports, electronic items, bags. One has to assume that others therefore follow this mindset as well? Surely this has to be one of the few places on earth you'd find such a sight.

Wonder about the experiences of others with this. And hopefully theft is pretty much unheard of in premium lounges like one would assume.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I find a small foldable manbag perfect for carting my too-painful-to-lose belongings around the lounge. It pops inside my carry-on for boarding and cruise, with brief forays next to my body for takeoff and landing...

Books, pens, magazines & chargers, clean underware ? Meh
Old May 8, 2018, 2:11 pm

I think the chances of anything being stolen are small, but not because it's a 'premium lounge'. Rather, because it's airside in a highly secure environment with plenty of security cameras.

Personally, I would leave a bag or clothing while visiting the buffet, but at least make sure that passport, phone, wallet are either in my pockets or at least out of sight.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fruitcage
I think the chances of anything being stolen are small, but not because it's a 'premium lounge'. Rather, because it's airside in a highly secure environment with plenty of security cameras.

Personally, I would leave a bag or clothing while visiting the buffet, but at least make sure that passport, phone, wallet are either in my pockets or at least out of sight.
Understood. But theft of personal items are certainly not unheard of at airports. And what % of people leave laptops/phones/passports lying around at seats near the gates/main airport concourses? Think there's a pretty big difference versus in lounges.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver, Kestrelflyer Silver, FlyingBlue & Expedia+
I suppose instinct plays a role? You get the feeling when you shouldn't and you don't or if you don't get the nervous feeling you leave it! I don't know if that made sense. Either way Passport, Mobile and Wallet always stays with me in the lounge. The rest securely in the bag with the zip well tucked and coat, etc on top of it.

When I come back I can tell if someone has messed with it or leave the stuff in view of others so they can see if someone is trying anything funny.

That being said technology is great if someone pinches my phone all I have to do is text from someone else's a command so it screams HELP I'M STOLEN!!! Can't miss that in an airport hehehe.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Qantas Platinum One and LTG
I don't have many qualms about leaving my bag, jacket or even the cheap travel laptop at the seat while taking a wander. Passport, phone and travel documents are always in my trusty manbag.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:18 pm

I'm probably more cautious than most. My passport and valuables are always on my person; if I'm charging my phone I don't leave it out of sight. If I'm going across the lounge to a place where I wouldn't be able to see my bag for more than about 10 seconds I'll take it with me -- and not even that long if my computer is in it. The bag comes with me to the restroom. I might leave a coat on the chair to claim occupancy, but that's it.

Seth
Scots_Al likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
I left my wallet at the lounge 3 or 4 years ago in BA Flounge and would have only noticed upon arrival. When scanning my BP, agent asked me to step aside. He then told me that a fellow traveler had recovered my wallet and was bringing it to the gate - did not trust BA can get it to me before the gate was closed.
I believe this has little to do with CCTV, class, or personal wealth of folk in BA lounges - rather empathy with fellow frequent travelers and understanding discomfort of having your stuff lost while away from home.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
My carry-on can stay at my seat while I am at the buffet or bar but wallet, passport, boarding pass, etc are always in my pockets.
aktchi likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by fruitcage

People have been caught stealing from the conveyor belt of the x-ray machine.
aktchi likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I have a small bag with passport, credit cards, wallet etc., that always goes with me. The remaining carry-on stuff I would leave in such a scenario. With my phone it is 50/50: I leave it charging if it needs to be charged, otherwise carry around with me. Knock on wood, no problem so far.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:48 pm

I'll leave my backpack (with laptop and iPad and various non-valuable stuff) if I can see it - i.e. to go to the bar or buffet - but I won't leave it alone in a room. It goes with me to the restroom, for example.
aktchi likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
People have been caught stealing from the conveyor belt of the x-ray machine.
I can also remember seeing signs near the gates at AMS warning me to watch for pickpockets at the airport.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
The only thing I'll leave at my seat is my jacket - my bag only stays behind if it only contains clothes and toiletries. Otherwise I trust no-one and am flabbergasted by the number of people who leave their laptops, some of them even unlocked, some of them even work laptops, unattended.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by aktchi
I have a small bag with passport, credit cards, wallet etc., that always goes with me. The remaining carry-on stuff I would leave in such a scenario. With my phone it is 50/50: I leave it charging if it needs to be charged, otherwise carry around with me. Knock on wood, no problem so far.
Pretty much my routine too, but seeing clusters of mobiles at charging stations, I tend to take the phone with me when going to bar/buffet/restroom. Nobody will pay attention to anyone picking own mobile and charger up, also grabbing another phone along. Leaving the computer locked in the same situation, I tend to assure myself by asking neighbour lounge guest (unknown) to keep an eye on it for me, but of course, that person knows I'll be gone for 5 min, and might seize the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.