Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

So at the beginning/end of your trip your passport get lost/stolen...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

I personally never had such experience, but recently have heard a story from a friend how on the first day of arrival in Columbia his backpack with passport, phone and laptop got stolen from a hostel during the process of checking in. He said that one guy distracted him while another snatched backpack.

In case of my friend the good part was that he was in no particular rush - he could stay several weeks in Columbia on his visa free entry and he was traveling from country to country to see South America. His family wired some money via Western Union, while friend of him went to the the passport department of home office ministry and arranged new passport issued for him (it is possible in his country) and then sent it via DHL overnight.

At the end, for him the damage was about equivalent of $300 for getting new passport, plus content of backpack (laptop, phone/etc) and he considers this as a learning experience, not a great loss.

Now If you are a citizen of US/UK/Russia/Germany/China - countries which have representatives in almost every single other country in the world - then this kind of endeavor would be definitely unpleasant but not be a major hassle. However, I would imagine that some other travelers from smaller countries might have way worse experience in cases like this - imagine that you are left without travel documents and money (he had no more than $50 cash) in the country where there is no embassy/consulate of your home country.

Add to this the case when you can’t get new travel documents without physically appearing in front of an official of your home country (my friend’s case getting replacement passport I think is rather not common), plus your visa runs out. What do you do?

If you had a similar experience, would you share how did you handle it?

P.S. Please note - we are not discussing here what to do to _avoiding_ losing passport/etc - that’s different story and I’m sure it has discussed here number of times. Question is what to do post factum, especially when there are aggravating factors like mentioning above.

Last edited by invisible; May 6, 2018 at 8:29 am
Old May 6, 2018, 6:51 am

My story will be boring but to join the discussion...

I'm a US citizen and had my passport stolen a few years ago in Canada, post 911 but before they hardened the US/CA border. A friend drove me across the border back into the USA and I got through with my driver's license.

What happened was my car was stolen from the motel parking lot (no security cameras). And my passport, camera, tripod, monopod, expensive suit... all went with it. I kept the passport in the glove compartment so it stayed put in a known place. But I hadn't planned on the car being gone. This happened over a holiday weekend, I called the US embassy and reported the loss and filed a report with the local police. The embassy agent on duty gave me his name and phone number in case of border trouble. The event was a shock and changed my attitude about Canada. I won't travel there in a good car any longer and I'll only stay in high end hotels with good parking. Even if it's out of the way from where I want to be. Lots of paperwork and phone calls followed and it cost me a tidy sum. But I'm sure we will hear worse from the next posters.
Old May 6, 2018, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The best way to get this information is from your "home" country's ministry of foreign affairs or equivalent agency handling passport issueance. The procedure will differ by country and, as you note, where you are matters.

If you are a US national, you would simply contact and then go to the nearest US Consulate and make arrangements for a "passport replacing document." a temporary document which will get you back to the US. Depending on circumstances, you might not be able to obtain a replacement passport and therefore might not be able to cross any national borders other than return to the US.

Most countries, including the US, are clear that a citizen cannot be denied entry. If you show up at CBP without a passport, you will eventually be admitted once everything can be verified. But, the problem is that your air carrier will not let you board without proper documents. Thus, the "passport replacing document"

In countries where a foreign passport may be of significant value, the passport should never have been in the victim's backpack and should have been on his body somewhere it cannot be grabbed.
Old May 6, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
The best way to get this information is from your "home" country's ministry of foreign affairs or equivalent agency handling passport issueance. The procedure will differ by country and, as you note, where you are matters.

If you are a US national, you would simply contact and then go to the nearest US Consulate and make arrangements for a "passport replacing document." a temporary document which will get you back to the US. Depending on circumstances, you might not be able to obtain a replacement passport and therefore might not be able to cross any national borders other than return to the US.

Most countries, including the US, are clear that a citizen cannot be denied entry. If you show up at CBP without a passport, you will eventually be admitted once everything can be verified. But, the problem is that your air carrier will not let you board without proper documents. Thus, the "passport replacing document"

In countries where a foreign passport may be of significant value, the passport should never have been in the victim's backpack and should have been on his body somewhere it cannot be grabbed.
A. This isn't about a specific country's policy but a general "how'd it work for you"
B. This isn't about how to avoid theft as OP explicitly states.

Killjoy
Old May 6, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond
My first ever business trip out of the country was to Toronto in 1985. I quickly proceeded to lose my passport and left my driver's license at home. I discovered this upon arrival in Toronto (we didn't have to show ID to fly to Canada back then). I was unable to rent a car, so took a taxi to my hotel and the Ford plant in Oakville where I had to go to a meeting and resolve some quality issues.

Still unaware of the requirements to get back to the US, I went to the airport to fly back to Indiana where I was living at the time. I was not allowed to proceed past the pre clearance facility. I was stuck in Toronto. I had no picture ID. The custom's agent started yelling at me about traveling with no ID. I was physically removed from the premises.

This was pre cell phone days, so I found a pay phone and rang up some friends in Detroit. I took a cab to downtown Toronto and caught a Via Train to Windsor Canada.

I had friends drive across the border to pick me up. I hid in the back under blankets and we went back to the US through the Detroit-Windsor tunnel. It was weekday rush hour before 9/11, so the border guards pretty much waved us through.

I then flew back to Indiana from Detroit. It was expensive and my boss was really angry at me. But I also got points for smuggling myself back into the US.

Now I have a picture of my passport on my phone and a photocopy that I keep in my luggage. I have been lucky since.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by WCT3U
What happened was my car was stolen from the motel parking lot (no security cameras). And my passport, camera, tripod, monopod, expensive suit... all went with it. I kept the passport in the glove compartment so it stayed put in a known place. But I hadn't planned on the car being gone. This happened over a holiday weekend, I called the US embassy and reported the loss and filed a report with the local police. The embassy agent on duty gave me his name and phone number in case of border trouble. The event was a shock and changed my attitude about Canada. I won't travel there in a good car any longer and I'll only stay in high end hotels with good parking. Even if it's out of the way from where I want to be. Lots of paperwork and phone calls followed and it cost me a tidy sum. But I'm sure we will hear worse from the next posters.
I don't care if it's the Pennisula or Ritz or whatever 5* star, I would never leave my passport unattended in my car.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I had friends drive across the border to pick me up. I hid in the back under blankets and we went back to the US through the Detroit-Windsor tunnel. It was weekday rush hour before 9/11, so the border guards pretty much waved us through.

I then flew back to Indiana from Detroit. It was expensive and my boss was really angry at me. But I also got points for smuggling myself back into the US.
You definitely get points for being resourceful!
Old May 7, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Bitterproffit:

No need to get resourceful .
Just tell the officer you are American and you lost your travel documents. They will secondary you and verify your identity in the data base and welcome you home.

In 1985 IIRC the border guards on both sides of the tunnel and Ambassador Bridge were waving almost everyone through.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: Independent
In '85? In I think it was '99 I flew to Montreal. Used to driving, I just took my licenses. Arrived in Montreal, border protection told me I needed either a birth certificate or passport, but after a bit of grilling he let me through anyway. It turned out he grilled me because there was a huge drummers convention in the hotel I was staying at. Had no problem flying home with my licenses.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I was about 12 my family went to Barbados. My sister and I didn't have passports, and my parents didn't know you had to have a certified birth certificate for your kid, so they just brought copies. The airline let us on the plane and told us we'd need to get a certified document of some kind to get back to the US. I remember we spent about 4 hours at the US embassy one morning to straighten out the paperwork. This was in 1990 or 1991 I think.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Am I the only one who tends to keep my passport either (a) on my body or (b) in a hotel safe while traveling abroad?

I don't think I've ever put it into a backpack or just left it in a car somewhere. I remember the hostel years of my youth...everybody had a story about stuff getting stolen. While I don't doubt that the stories often took on lives of their own, I still kept my passport physically on me 24x7 when I was staying in hostels. Do people really keep their passports in their backpacks? Or leave them in rental cars?

FWIW, I'm aware that the hotel safe isn't impermeable. It's probably child's play for a serious burglar. But I figure it's a good-enough deterrent when I'm doing something that would make it difficult for me to keep my passport with me (e.g., diving, snorkeling, etc.).
Old May 7, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by pinniped
Am I the only one who tends to keep my passport either (a) on my body or (b) in a hotel safe while traveling abroad?
Ah memories of my first trip to Europe, when I was a teenager. The chaperones kept harping on all of us to keep our passports on our bodies at all times. The day we were doing our scenic sail down the Rhine, two of the chaperones had to take the train to the nearest U.S. Embassy to get new passports as the wife had lost her purse (with the two passports in it).
Old May 7, 2018, 3:03 pm

Several years ago I sleepily answered the phone at around 6 a.m, it was the Canadian embassy in Athens, Greece calling to establish that I did indeed know a person named AB. Friend A had had had their purse lifted as it sat at her feet in a busy cafe. I can't remember the rest of the call, alas, but P did get her passport replaced.

WCT3U, I am sorry to hear of your experience, I'm guessing you were in or near the GTA (Greater Toronto area) or Windsor (across the border from Detroit) when all this went down. I will not rub it in, other to say that our thieves may be polite, but they will still steal you blind. Nicely.
WCT3U likes this.

Last edited by simpleflyer; May 7, 2018 at 3:09 pm
Old May 7, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Ah memories of my first trip to Europe, when I was a teenager. The chaperones kept harping on all of us to keep our passports on our bodies at all times. The day we were doing our scenic sail down the Rhine, two of the chaperones had to take the train to the nearest U.S. Embassy to get new passports as the wife had lost her purse (with the two passports in it).
Exactly. It really depends on the situation, which country you are traveling to, how you are traveling, how long, what activities you'll be doing, your comfort level, your personal habits... In my case, it was my own car. Not a rental. So I knew what was in it. My plan was to show the passport at the border and then not touch it and stay far away from it until I drove across the border on return a few days later. I figure any time I move the passport from one place to another is an opportunity to misplace it. I've since gotten the passport card, which is the size of a credit card and is valid for land border crossings (not air). So the point is now moot. When I travel with that, it sits with my driver's license and credit cards, which I carry and protect on a daily basis. Actually, all things considered, the passport was one of the easiest and cheapest of the non-trivial things to replace when the car was stolen.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
I personally never had such experience, but recently have heard a story from a friend how on the first day of arrival in Columbia his backpack with passport, phone and laptop got stolen from a hostel during the process of checking in. He said that one guy distracted him while another snatched backpack.

In case of my friend the good part was that he was in no particular rush - he could stay several weeks in Columbia on his visa free entry and he was traveling from country to country to see South America. His family wired some money via Western Union, while friend of him went to the the passport department of home office ministry and arranged new passport issued for him (it is possible in his country) and then sent it via DHL overnight.
Psst - if you are referring to the 2nd most populous country in South America, it's Colombia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.