Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

New travel annoyance: medical diversions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New travel annoyance: medical diversions?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Airlines are going to err on the side of caution as they will be held liable if a treatable condition results in someone's death because they didn't divert. Who decides what is life threatening or not? How do you suggest they determine what is a pre-existing condition that makes it too risky for a passenger to fly? Which conditions do you specifically should be kept off commercial aircraft?
That's the rub, of course. There are usually rules for pregnant women, but I don't think there are many rules -- yet alone enforceable rules -- for other at-risk travellers. If I am correct and medical diversions are increasing, we will probably see more gate agent training on spotting at-risk passengers. That's obviously not going to be a perfect solution. The airlines could loosen up on flight changes for illness, but I doubt they will because it is so easily abused (I wonder what happens in the real world if you call the airline and say grandpa isn't feeling so well today -- do they help?). My best guess is that the number of diversions just increases a bit and we all have to deal with it.
Old May 1, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Who decides what is life threatening or not? How do you suggest they determine what is a pre-existing condition that makes it too risky for a passenger to fly? Which conditions do you specifically should be kept off commercial aircraft?
MedLink.

Medical Advisory Services- MedLink

The airlines contract with MedLink to make those medical decisions.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by LarryJ
MedLink.

Medical Advisory Services- MedLink

The airlines contract with MedLink to make those medical decisions.
That covers immediate situations but the OP seems to be seeking far more including instant diagnosis by gate agents of potential diversions and a preemptive determination of existing conditions that would prevent someone from flying. Who decides which conditions might disrupt other travel plans? How does the airline know who has a preexisting condition?

I have no complaints about medical diversions. I am not so self-absorbed to demand the airline consider my schedule more important than the health and safety of another passenger.
84fiero and ajGoes like this.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
That covers immediate situations but the OP seems to be seeking far more including instant diagnosis by gate agents of potential diversions and a preemptive determination of existing conditions that would prevent someone from flying. Who decides which conditions might disrupt other travel plans? How does the airline know who has a preexisting condition?
MedLink. See the link I posted.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by iahphx
In the real world, unless you observed someone in the boarding area who seemed to have a highly contagious disease -- and I'm not even sure what that would look like -- you would be highly unlikely to discuss the matter with a gate agent. It is obviously not the role of other passengers to police who is healthy enough to fly. First and foremost, it is the job of the ill passenger and, often, his or her family (personal responsibility if you will). In the past 2 months, I have seen 2 families completely fail in this assessment, resulting in a (presumably) life-threatening incident for their loved one and a major inconvenience for the 175 other people on board their flight. If you're not 100% sure that grandpa can safely and comfortably make the trip, perhaps you should let grandpa stay at home and visit him there.

If the unwell passenger still wants to fly, it is obviously the job of the gate agent however who, in this day and age, is likely to approach the matter very gingerly. This is, of course, an approach that is almost certain to lead to more medical diversions.
How did the family in your first diversion fail? A presumably unknown issue caused the pax to go unconscious at altitude during flight to Florida. They then visited a doctor who cleared pax to fly home per your OP. So how is this failing in personal responsibility? If the gate agent questions his health based on your perception the pax produces a fit to fly note from his doctor. Yet the pax may still experience an issue as you experienced.

Old May 2, 2018, 8:08 am

My wife theorizes that long int'l flights are actually less likely to have serious medical issues onboard because ill passengers are less likely to take long flights. If you know you're in poor health (or your family knows this), they probably know you shouldn't be taking an 8 hour trip.
Obviously, many people who have medical emergencies mid-flight planned to have those incidents. Clearly, they know a heart attack or an aneurysm is coming, so they book a flight to inconvenience a few hundred other people.

I've been on one flight that I actually think the ill passenger was to blame. It was TPAC and the original flight was delayed a day due to mechanical issues. Three hours into the next day's flight there was the "Is there a doctor aboard?" announcement. Shortly after that was the "We're diverting to Anchorage" announcement. Between getting the sick passenger off and preparing the plane to leave, the crew would've been overtime, so we spent the night there. That night I found out that the passenger was flying home to die among friends and family. But where this person screwed up was putting their medication in their checked baggage, which wasn't allowed off the plane after the first day's mechanical delay. Always pack medication in carry-on.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I remember Virgin Australia actively encouraging people to let staff know if they're unwell a few years ago (both on the LAX-BNE flight and the return trip). At least one person was offloaded before departure too. Other carriers could do better in that regard but I'm not sure airlines should be interrogating people either.

That said, I don't think that medical diversions have increased in regularity. I only remember one ever happening, even (and that was when I was a kid). Of course, that's just one anecdote.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
In the death of the 25 yo female, from what I have read about it, AA most certainly grossly erred. In addition to not taking the word of the doctor onboard, some of the medical equipment was not operable, including the defibrillator.

My DD is a board certified emergency physician. I hope she is never on a plane when they are asking for a doctor. Can you imagine the stress and emotional pain the physician felt after the pilot asked for his professional advise, and then refused it while the doctor is still trying to save her life.

To heck with the "inconvenienced passengers". Her family will never know if her life could have been saved if the pilot had only taken the doctor's educated opinion.
altabello likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
My DD is a board certified emergency physician. I hope she is never on a plane when they are asking for a doctor. Can you imagine the stress and emotional pain the physician felt after the pilot asked for his professional advise, and then refused it while the doctor is still trying to save her life.
I'm a board certified anesthesiologist. About 5 years ago I was one of those "doctors on the plane" on a AA DCA-LAX flight (coming home from an anesthesiology conference, ironically) when the FA asked for assistance over the PA for a woman who was suffering an allergic reaction to the seafood that was being served in F.

TBH, I was rather impressed with the medical treatment kit they had on board. In addition to basic first aid supplies and oxygen, the kit also had IV lines and fluids, syringes, needles, and various emergency medications (Benadryl, epinephrine, morphine, versed, etc.) in it. Of course, the FAs had me show them my medical license before allowing me access to the kit, and I was allowed to talk to the MedLink physician on call as well as the captain to discuss the woman's situation. I gave them my assessment and the captain asked me if I thought we should divert. At this point in the flight, we were past PHX and I had managed to stabilize the patient with some doses of benadryl, epinephrine, and versed and told him we could probably make it to LAX OK. Landed in LAX where paramedics were waiting at the jetway.

Quite an experience.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
In the death of the 25 yo female, from what I have read about it, AA most certainly grossly erred. In addition to not taking the word of the doctor onboard, some of the medical equipment was not operable, including the defibrillator.<br /><br />My DD is a board certified emergency physician. I hope she is never on a plane when they are asking for a doctor. Can you imagine the stress and emotional pain the physician felt after the pilot asked for his professional advise, and then refused it while the doctor is still trying to save her life.<br /><br />To heck with the "inconvenienced passengers". Her family will never know if her life could have been saved if the pilot had only taken the doctor's educated opinion.
<br /><br />From what I've read, it is not clear that "AA most certainly grossly erred". It is within the realm of possibility that AA did nothing wrong and the passenger was entirely at fault for ignoring warning signs on the ground, being that she was a nurse. It is within the realm of possibility that the woman doctor who volunteered had good intentions but did not understand how to use the equipment. (Or maybe that the AED was broken). The AED is not a shocker that brings dead people alive. In particular, if the woman was found on the floor over Albuquerque, it is entirely possible that by the time the commotion subsided enough for a decision that DFW was the best available choice
Old May 3, 2018, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Interpol
TBH, I was rather impressed with the medical treatment kit they had on board. In addition to basic first aid supplies and oxygen, the kit also had IV lines and fluids, syringes, needles, and various emergency medications (Benadryl, epinephrine, morphine, versed, etc.) in it. Of course, the FAs had me show them my medical license before allowing me access to the kit, and I was allowed to talk to the MedLink physician on call as well as the captain to discuss the woman's situation. I gave them my assessment and the captain asked me if I thought we should divert. At this point in the flight, we were past PHX and I had managed to stabilize the patient with some doses of benadryl, epinephrine, and versed and told him we could probably make it to LAX OK. Landed in LAX where paramedics were waiting at the jetway.
Did you start an IV or did you give all those meds IM?
Not used to IM. If an injectable is IV&IM, do you give the same amount? I also suppose the onset of action varies depending on where you give it IM... is it written in the kit where you’re supposed to shoot it?

Airline kit is sort of a crapshoot. On a US airline I flew once, they didn’t have BP machine. Hard to hear anything thru stethoscope on the plane. This Asian airline did have BP machine, but then they had all kinds of meds I’d never heard of, yet no NSAID, not even aspirin.

Btw, I don’t think most doctors carry license card on them.

Old May 6, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
This happened to me 3 years ago.

A very pregnant lady in Y complained 45 minutes in flight, and the next thing you know, we are turning 180 and heading back to YYC. I was on my way to MSP. This is not the problem however. I'd want them to do the same for me if I was having a serious issue too.

I knew we'd be landing heavy due to the fuel load and the aircraft would be grounded until Delta could get a maintenance crew to certify it for flight again. We got the run around from Delta for 6 hours in the airport, before they finally told us to come back tomorrow.

They could have been straight up in the first 15 minutes, but that's not Delta's style apparently.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have no complaints about medical diversions. I am not so self-absorbed to demand the airline consider my schedule more important than the health and safety of another passenger.
I suspect you'd change your tune if you just experienced two diversions in two months that were both 100% avoidable had the passengers, and/or their families, taken just a little more care in deciding whether to fly.

Hopefully, my run of "bad luck" will now end, and I'll get to again experience that "1 in 7000 flights" odds. I'm pretty sure those diversion odds are going to be increasing, though.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I suspect you'd change your tune if you just experienced two diversions in two months that were both 100% avoidable had the passengers, and/or their families, taken just a little more care in deciding whether to fly.

Hopefully, my run of "bad luck" will now end, and I'll get to again experience that "1 in 7000 flights" odds. I'm pretty sure those diversion odds are going to be increasing, though.
My tune would stay the same. There's no point in ranting and raving after the fact. Demanding families and/or individuals "take just a little more care in deciding whether to fly" so you can keep your schedule isn't likely to have much effect.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:48 pm

I have to agree with Badenoch.

It happens. If a passenger is at risk (doesn't have to be human... eg: could also be the pets/service animals onboard) I would expect the crew to keep the health and safety of all the passengers in mind. If it is an inconvenience and costs some people a little bit of time, so be it. If any passengers object, they can certainly take it up with the airline and general public if they so desire.
Jeannietx likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.