Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Frequent business travelers who've never heard of FlyerTalk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent business travelers who've never heard of FlyerTalk?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Two pages of self-admiring....
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
.... I've described FT to at least a half dozen frequent traveler coworkers over the years, and none have been interested.
If I mention FT to someone who hasn’t heard of it, I get one of only two reactions: they are immediately interested or their eyes glaze over. Mostly the latter.

There are too many things in the world clambering for our attention. We have to make choices about what we are willing to pay attention to. Folks not interested in FT aren’t clueless, they’re just not interested in devoting time to this particular topic.

OP mentioned Bain/McKinsey. The consultants I know would rather poke themselves in the eye with a sharp stick than talk or read about air travel during the couple of hours a week they’re not working or flying. Or, more accurately, working AND flying.

I know a few other frequent flyers who have plenty of free time but are no more interested in getting the most bang for their flying buck by studying sites like this than I am in learning how to modify my Prius to squeeze out better mileage. Yet there are web sites devoted to that very thing. Go figure.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by rpjs
Never mind about FT or FFPs, I was chatting to a co-worker recently who mentioned a somewhat odd routing to head office in Europe, caused by his not booking until the last moment. I was intrigued as to which airline he was flying on and he couldn't say! "The airline logo on the booking page was red", was all he could remember.
I've done this more than once. I fly WN and AA pretty evenly and if I book a short haul more than a few weeks out I'll forget which airline I booked on
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by davie355
I had lunch with two former management consultants (one Bain, one McKinsey) and neither of them had ever heard of FlyerTalk.

I'd understand not using the site, but having never heard of this site? We're top in Google for just about any travel issue one may come across. Their excuse was all their travel needs (including IRROPS handling) were taken care of by travel agents which I understand, but what about stuff like which lounges are the best, how much to tip a shuttle driver, how long the TSA line is....

The Bain guy who always flew United didn't know what "interlining" was, and his mind was blown when I said a UA passenger could be rebooked onto AA and double-dip miles by claiming credit with both airlines.

Both consultants have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card but neither knew that you're meant to transfer the points to airlines, not cash out for 1.5 cents apiece.
I used to have my secretary or the company TA handle anything that came up... Never had to Google anything, so I hadn't heard about FT until a short time ago. After realizing I can find more comfortable solutions or ones better in line with my loyalty programs, lounge memberships, etc. I started taking care of things myself.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:19 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yeah, I think this whole world is a lot smaller then we like to think here on the site. I have had my Flyertalk tag on my bag now for over 500k miles of flying in over 50 countries I have transited every major global and domestic hub with the exception of DXB and ATL in that time. I am a consultant so I am regularly flying out Monday morning back Thursday afternoon connecting in places like ORD,MIA,IAH home base is EWR. I have had one chance encounter and it was actually another Flyertalker I had already met. I also have one friend who works for a regional airline doing flights for UA/AA/DL I was stunned when he had no concept of how any of the loyalty programs worked on the airlines.

Another friend of mine got a job that saw her traveling every week all over the country. After a year she was like hey I know you travel a lot and know about miles and points I need to figure all this out can you help me. After flying 100+ segments she got her first Frequent Flier account after talking to me.

Its the same thing with all of coworkers none of them can be bothered to look into this stuff. Then they fly with me to a conference or something and see me getting upgraded, or guested into the lounge and they are like wait why do you get all of this stuff? My company will even cover a paid lounge membership and they don't even take advantage of that.

Its like so many other things people want everything but don't take the 5 minutes to put in the work.

Of course this thread is ironic because how many posts are there here of people complaining about how bloggers have ruined everything and there are too many people taking advantage of these programs and they wish there weren't blogs about all of it.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Let's be frank about it: we're a bunch of dorks.

The UA forum has a thread on seating on just *one* 777 variant that now goes on for 34 pages. The trip report forum contains thousands of photos of airplane bathrooms. Endless debates about wheeled vs. non-wheeled baggage—which I have gleefully participated in.

And let's not even talk about how this place gets during airline or hotel mergers. Insanely vicious fighting about logos and carpet colors and which shiny metal name sounds most prestigious for a mid-tier status level.

I started reading this forum about eight years ago. I've spent a LOT of time here and I've certainly learned a lot. Pretty sure I could best just about any quiz on IATA airport codes at this point. I am fully on-board with the level of nerdery we enjoy here.

But at the end of the day, we're just debating crazy staws.

https://xkcd.com/1095/
Cardboard55, Zeeb and DragonSoul like this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
As a footnote to my original post, I worked for an IT company where 25-50 of the 175 people were on the road every week, and the rest did so once per quarter.

About 1/2 the people in my department of 15 staff didn't track points for hotels, car rentals, or FF miles. None at all..........amazing.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by KDS777
As a footnote to my original post, I worked for an IT company where 25-50 of the 175 people were on the road every week, and the rest did so once per quarter.

About 1/2 the people in my department of 15 staff didn't track points for hotels, car rentals, or FF miles. None at all..........amazing.
The odd thing to me, as a footnote to my earlier post, is that the frequent-traveler colleagues I've recommended FT to do care about miles, status, etc. yet still are not interested in joining the forum.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:18 am

i flushed in an a320 while on the tarmac

it worked fine.

Certainly I understanding busy and highly paid people not worrying about stuff like points, upgrades and same-day changes.

But value maximization is just a small part of what FlyerTalk offers.

FlyerTalk offers practical advice and satisfies intellectual curiosities - recently in the Delta forum we had a thread about an announcement that lavatories would not work below 16,000 feet. If I were to hear such an announcement onboard, I'd know it is odd as I've certainly used lavs on the ground, and I would fire up google to learn more about such a situation. The first hit for "lavatories under 16000 feet" is an eight-year-old FlyerTalk thread: Did'ja know that A320 toilets don’t flush til you hit 16,000 feet???

Even if you don't click through, you'll see on the google results page that it's flyertalk.com. And as you travel more you'll hear more oddball announcements or run into weird situations and see flyertalk.com regularly in google results (because other FlyerTalkers have posted about those same weird situations).
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:27 am

sophisticated consumer

same thing with grocery store points cards, so many people can't be bothered.

not everyone likes to read thru t&cs and go for points i guess.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
But, the OP cites people who travel regularly for Bain or whatever. These people are incredibly busy, will be seated in Business Class and will probably either work or sleep through their entire flight. They have lounge access because of their ticket.
Not so much any more. Even the Bain, McKinsey and BCG's of this world are increasingly subject to short-haul Economy only tickets. Of course, the most frequent flyers in those companies will be AA Concierge Key equivalents and not have to worry about flying in the back all that often when in the US.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Mar 13, 2018 at 3:51 am
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I know guys in the banking/finance industry who have no idea about this place.
When I mention it they just seem mildly interested at best.
When you always fly J or F, and a Hyatt Regency is slumming it....this place doesn't make that much of a difference.
Yeah. If all your travel is international business class (or higher) and all your domestic legs are first class then, well, other than having FF accounts so the points pile up there really isn't all that much for you to do. All status does is help you gain access to a subset of the benefits that you purchase when you buy a business/first ticket.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Yeah. If all your travel is international business class (or higher) and all your domestic legs are first class then, well, other than having FF accounts so the points pile up there really isn't all that much for you to do.
When you have all those points you need to figure out how to spend them. Definitely not as easy as one might think it should be. That's what originally brought me on here when I was one of the types mentioned in the OP.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:47 am
Suspended

I had lunch with two former management consultants (one Bain, one McKinsey) and neither of them had ever heard of FlyerTalk.

I'd understand not using the site, but having never heard of this site? We're top in Google for just about any travel issue one may come across. Their excuse was all their travel needs (including IRROPS handling) were taken care of by travel agents which I understand, but what about stuff like which lounges are the best, how much to tip a shuttle driver, how long the TSA line is....

The Bain guy who always flew United didn't know what "interlining" was, and his mind was blown when I said a UA passenger could be rebooked onto AA and double-dip miles by claiming credit with both airlines.

Both consultants have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card but neither knew that you're meant to transfer the points to airlines, not cash out for 1.5 cents apiece.
Umm, well there are several ways to look a this obviously. I have heard of Flyertalk (I'm here aren't I) but have no interest in 'interlining' or 'points'. I am only interested in FT as a travel related forum.

I leave it to my wife to enjoy the 'fun' of collecting loyalty points from whatever company we happen to do business with. She gets a kick out of it when she gets 10,000 bonus points from the supermarket chain we shop at. Worth a whole $10. She gets even more of a kick from it when she can use her Supermarket affiliated credit card to pay (and get points) while using her drugstore chain loyalty card to get points as well, thus 'double dipping.' I see it as akin to 'coupon clippers'. And just like coupon clippers, some people take things to the extreme. Let's be honest here, some people who post in FT probably spend more time figuring out how to 'interline', do 'mileage runs' etc. to 'game the system' than they probably do figuring out how to be the best there is at the job they are being paid to do and ultimately perhaps not need to worry about the nickel and dime stuff anymore. Perhaps the two people you refer to are more interested in figuring out how to retire by age 40 or become CEO of the company rather than how to get 'points' from an airline.

Perhaps they don't need to get 'status' in order to fly Business or First every time they fly. That's why you concern yourself with it right? Because you can't afford (or your employer) to just buy the tickets you want whenever you want.

Perhaps after lunch, they talked to someone about the weird guy who went on about how many airline 'points' he collected and what 'status' he had and how many 'upgrades' he got, as if it meant something. When you are in a group of like minded people (most FTers) who think those things are all important, you tend to think the same way. Not everyone thinks airline 'points' are a factor worth considering in life however. That may come as a shock to some people I suppose.

The reality is that airline points, status, etc. are all about how to get something you can't afford to pay for. Nothing wrong with that per se but if you can afford to pay without even noticing the price, then points etc. have no real value to you. As the saying goes, 'if you have to look at the price, you can't afford it.'
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by dalehill
OP mentioned Bain/McKinsey. The consultants I know would rather poke themselves in the eye with a sharp stick than talk or read about air travel during the couple of hours a week they’re not working or flying. Or, more accurately, working AND flying.
When I started in my current job, I talked to a colleague who was very happy about being demoted to a lower level of FB. Becuase it meant he didn't spend half his week in airports.

I only really understood him when I've done 10 segments in little over a week. That was, incidentally, also the time I found myself for the first time pondering about paying extra for a direct flight (or at least the first time when time was not a factor)

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Its the same thing with all of coworkers none of them can be bothered to look into this stuff. Then they fly with me to a conference or something and see me getting upgraded, or guested into the lounge and they are like wait why do you get all of this stuff? My company will even cover a paid lounge membership and they don't even take advantage of that.
The same colleague only found out that he has free checkin bag a couple of months later when he proclaimed himself an idiot for forgetting to add a bag to a booking he has just made. I pointed it out when he asked if anybody knew how to get in touch with our TA to add it to the ticket.
Booking fares with bags in them is standard for us, even though most everyone from the travelling consultants has status. Well I guess at least as the FFPs move to revenue based models, we will get extra miles.

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Let's be frank about it: we're a bunch of dorks.

The UA forum has a thread on seating on just *one* 777 variant that now goes on for 34 pages. The trip report forum contains thousands of photos of airplane bathrooms. Endless debates about wheeled vs. non-wheeled baggage—which I have gleefully participated in.

And let's not even talk about how this place gets during airline or hotel mergers. Insanely vicious fighting about logos and carpet colors and which shiny metal name sounds most prestigious for a mid-tier status level.

I started reading this forum about eight years ago. I've spent a LOT of time here and I've certainly learned a lot. Pretty sure I could best just about any quiz on IATA airport codes at this point. I am fully on-board with the level of nerdery we enjoy here.

But at the end of the day, we're just debating crazy staws.
Indeed - these colleagues are not interested particularly in the technicalities of the FFP, they aren't disinterested violently either. It's just something that is, and gives them some benefit; usually the one most appreciated is priority security and priority boarding. Other than that, it's water under the bridge. Most of us like the fact that we get to travel on someone elses dime, even though the romance of going to Cyprus is often lost on one when one is going there for the 10th time in as many months, and it's always Nicosia, not even the coast.
But as always, some people like to travel, but still view the airplane only as a means to get them there quick enough, not much more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.