Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Frequent business travelers who've never heard of FlyerTalk?

Old Mar 7, 18, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP

I had lunch with two former management consultants (one Bain, one McKinsey) and neither of them had ever heard of FlyerTalk.

I'd understand not using the site, but having never heard of this site? We're top in Google for just about any travel issue one may come across. Their excuse was all their travel needs (including IRROPS handling) were taken care of by travel agents which I understand, but what about stuff like which lounges are the best, how much to tip a shuttle driver, how long the TSA line is....

The Bain guy who always flew United didn't know what "interlining" was, and his mind was blown when I said a UA passenger could be rebooked onto AA and double-dip miles by claiming credit with both airlines.

Both consultants have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card but neither knew that you're meant to transfer the points to airlines, not cash out for 1.5 cents apiece.
AmericanCasey likes this.
Old Mar 7, 18, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
I had lunch with two former management consultants (one Bain, one McKinsey) and neither of them had ever heard of FlyerTalk.

I'd understand not using the site, but having never heard of this site? We're top in Google for just about any travel issue one may come across. Their excuse was all their travel needs (including IRROPS handling) were taken care of by travel agents which I understand, but what about stuff like which lounges are the best, how much to tip a shuttle driver, how long the TSA line is....

The Bain guy who always flew United didn't know what "interlining" was, and his mind was blown when I said a UA passenger could be rebooked onto AA and double-dip miles by claiming credit with both airlines.

Both consultants have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card but neither knew that you're meant to transfer the points to airlines, not cash out for 1.5 cents apiece.
We on FT are the 1%-2%-3%-?% who care and understand ffp's.
Most travellers are not interested in frequent flyer programs. Or FT.
I have worked with people who travel long haul business class and cannot be bothered with ffp's.
Another who got a higher ffp status and did not know why or what benefit that was to him. Was not interested.
AStarr and Seat 2A like this.
Old Mar 7, 18, 3:03 am

Programs: *G
dont those poor guys have to work from 5am to 10pm anyway?

not much free time to trawl the web on how to game FFPs, probably

and they have a robust travel support staff, with good travel policy, and excess of chance to earn lots of points, so having to do it is a non-concern
Fraser and AStarr like this.
Old Mar 7, 18, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
Well, I can admit to being one of those in the thread title. I just found this place last year. Clicked on a link from some travel blog I was reading.

I've been travelling for 5 years quite heavily, flying somewhere every other week almost non-stop (I consistently exceed 100K a year spread across 3-4 airlines) and, travelling for pleasure as well, which has allowed me to have *G status for the last 15+ years.

I just didn't think such a site existed, because having a place for travellers flying, to me anyways, is almost like having a site for those who take the bus to work........who woulda thought eh ?
rickg523 and nsx like this.

Last edited by KDS777; Mar 7, 18 at 8:51 am
Old Mar 7, 18, 9:11 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I know guys in the banking/finance industry who have no idea about this place.
When I mention it they just seem mildly interested at best.
When you always fly J or F, and a Hyatt Regency is slumming it....this place doesn't make that much of a difference.
Recondite likes this.
Old Mar 7, 18, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I was a traveling consultant for years and had lots of colleagues who had no clue about this site.

It's not that strange to me. This is sort of our hobby. Other guys are content to just collect the miles/points that come with their travels and redeem them for whatever sounds good. Even if I explain how to maximize theoretical value from a program, they may just say "I redeemed AA miles to take the family to Europe on AA, and I'm happy with that."
Old Mar 7, 18, 11:33 am

Programs: BA GfL
Everyone I worked with in my investment management career was a frequent long-haul traveler; I was the only one who had ever heard of FlyerTalk. In the finance world, most people get paid enough/travel enough that points scrounging is not a priority. I just looked at it as a game, mostly, until I retired in 2014 and had the time and desire to put my FT-derived expertise on MRs, ITA Matrix, etc. to productive use!
Old Mar 7, 18, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
No, not surprised at all. We aren't as awesomely widely known and admired as some of us think we are.
tentseller, Lost, nsx and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 18, 4:22 pm

Never mind about FT or FFPs, I was chatting to a co-worker recently who mentioned a somewhat odd routing to head office in Europe, caused by his not booking until the last moment. I was intrigued as to which airline he was flying on and he couldn't say! "The airline logo on the booking page was red", was all he could remember.
Old Mar 7, 18, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I work with a clueless one. We were traveling together and he casually asked me what the 1K on his boarding pass meant. I explained and after outlining the benefits I asked how many miles he had. You’d have thought I was speaking Martian.
Old Mar 7, 18, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Certainly I understanding busy and highly paid people not worrying about stuff like points, upgrades and same-day changes.

But value maximization is just a small part of what FlyerTalk offers.

FlyerTalk offers practical advice and satisfies intellectual curiosities - recently in the Delta forum we had a thread about an announcement that lavatories would not work below 16,000 feet. If I were to hear such an announcement onboard, I'd know it is odd as I've certainly used lavs on the ground, and I would fire up google to learn more about such a situation. The first hit for "lavatories under 16000 feet" is an eight-year-old FlyerTalk thread: Did'ja know that A320 toilets donít flush til you hit 16,000 feet???

Even if you don't click through, you'll see on the google results page that it's flyertalk.com. And as you travel more you'll hear more oddball announcements or run into weird situations and see flyertalk.com regularly in google results (because other FlyerTalkers have posted about those same weird situations).
Old Mar 7, 18, 9:36 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
That top-paid and top-paying fliers don't know about the ins-and-outs of FFPs and places like Flyertalk are exactly why airlines like UA/DL/etc went to complimentary upgrades by status and did away with certificates, take orders by full-fare, etc.

You would have people who were paying top dollar and didn't know that they had to do something to get benefits, yet were being bypassed by people who happened to have the time and inclination to redeem a certificate, for example. And they were getting dissatisfied that for all this money they were paying, they weren't seeing any benefit for it.

The more things go revenue-based, the more airlines are trying to serve that demographic. (or remove the benefits that were going to the wrong people, let's say)
Old Mar 7, 18, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
Certainly I understanding busy and highly paid people not worrying about stuff like points, upgrades and same-day changes.

But value maximization is just a small part of what FlyerTalk offers.

FlyerTalk offers practical advice and satisfies intellectual curiosities - recently in the Delta forum we had a thread about an announcement that lavatories would not work below 16,000 feet. If I were to hear such an announcement onboard, I'd know it is odd as I've certainly used lavs on the ground, and I would fire up google to learn more about such a situation. The first hit for "lavatories under 16000 feet" is an eight-year-old FlyerTalk thread:
Are you really saying that you understand people not knowing about FT's role in FF programs, but you're surprised people don't know about FT because of discussions like airplane lavatory altitude minimums?

Really? How many people on the planet do you think are wondering about this?
Old Mar 7, 18, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
Well, I can admit to being one of those in the thread title. I just found this place last year. Clicked on a link from some travel blog I was reading.

I've been travelling for 5 years quite heavily, flying somewhere every other week almost non-stop (I consistently exceed 100K a year spread across 3-4 airlines) and, travelling for pleasure as well, which has allowed me to have *G status for the last 15+ years.

I just didn't think such a site existed, because having a place for travellers flying, to me anyways, is almost like having a site for those who take the bus to work........who woulda thought eh ?
These days, there is a forum for just about everything you are interested in. Just google "your interest" and "forum". Has been that way for over a decade.
Old Mar 7, 18, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Are you really saying that you understand people not knowing about FT's role in FF programs, but you're surprised people don't know about FT because of discussions like airplane lavatory altitude minimums?

Really? How many people on the planet do you think are wondering about this?
Wondering about lavatories? Exceedingly few. You may have missed my point however - the lavatory case was a specific example.

Irrespective of one's (dis)interest in rewards points and elite status, during frequent travel, one is bound to experience things that would spark a curiosity to learn more. What I'm saying is it would be odd not to come across FlyerTalk in the course of satisfying a travel-related curiosity.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: