Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing your own food into First Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by wendyg
How wonderful for people who have allergies and other dietary restrictions that airlines can't cater to.

I can't see any justification for this policy. As for shorter flights, delays can happen.

wg
The justification is money. They make up for the lower fares by using fees and other charges. This is a hallmark of LCCs, I'm not sure why there is any confusion about it.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: travel
No issue with that, you can enjoy your own meal. Though it is not good wasting the tray of food they serve but its the best substitute to this. bring your own food and enjoy in the first class flights. sounds so amazing..
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by wendyg
How wonderful for people who have allergies and other dietary restrictions that airlines can't cater to.

I can't see any justification for this policy. As for shorter flights, delays can happen.

wg
I would be tempted to go with "I'll buy a meal but first I'm going to teach you how to use an EpiPen". Also having an official allergy passport does bring the point home. Now, I'm not sure if that could get you de-planed for either not following the rules regarding food on board or not disclosing your health conditions.

I haven't had this issue come up so far, and most of the times I can do with what is offered (my allergies aren't life threatening, either) but I like having at least something to eat in my bag on long-haul flights in case the meals aren't appropriate for me or if there's delays in the flight schedule or meal service.

It wasn't fun discovering I was (probably) allergic to (most) gin after a couple of G&Ts in the lounge and a couple more on the plane, though
lmashton likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Obviously depends on country, but I suspect an airline would find it rather difficult from a PR perspective if they deplaned someone simply because they were in possession of otherwise-legal food for the given route. They might even run into legal problems doing this.

Drinks? Yeah, they can (and do) enforce liquor laws, which almost universally stipulate that you cannot serve yourself your own booze. (At least, I've never flown in a country where this was openly done, and I've been several places where I know it's banned.) Once in a blue moon, I'll read a story about how a flight attendant opened and served a passenger their liquor. That's actually legal in some places - sort of like a restaurant corking your wine for you.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Bringing your own alcohol to be served by the FA is common for premium cabin passengers on some middle eastern carriers/routes.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:05 am

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
I was once on a long ground hold at the gate in LAX, bound for NRT. A couple of Japanese passengers broke out their bags of dried shrimp snacks. For that, they should have been deplaned.

I think that bringing your own decent food into F is perfectly acceptable, as long as it doesn't stink up the cabin, as many have said. One thing I hate about flying Y these days is the number of pax that get on with greasy McDonald bags - those really stink in an enclosed place. I would have no objection with airlines banning hot food carry-ons.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
I was once on a long ground hold at the gate in LAX, bound for NRT. A couple of Japanese passengers broke out their bags of dried shrimp snacks. For that, they should have been deplaned.

I think that bringing your own decent food into F is perfectly acceptable, as long as it doesn't stink up the cabin, as many have said. One thing I hate about flying Y these days is the number of pax that get on with greasy McDonald bags - those really stink in an enclosed place. I would have no objection with airlines banning hot food carry-ons.
I don't know if you're kidding or not, but many "decent" foods (hot or cold) can smell up a cabin... A nice tuna (or egg) salad sandwich for example... Anything with a decent amount of sesame oil or fish sauce. Even a simple orange. And that's not counting for example, a nice [insert protein here] biryani or a freshly cut durian (although that might not make it through security). I have seen chinese roast duck/goose brought onboard....(Airside) freshly made curries as well. Even a salad can get smelly once you open up the dressing (if it gets past security).

I will personally bring on food (not necessarily snacks) in case I need/want to eat and don't want to bother the flight crew. There is no way I can bring aboard something that will be so neutral that I would want to consume that would not offend at least one person within the cabin I'm in and get past security. That's true with just about any food served by the airline as well. I would agree that I wouldn't bring on board anything from McDonalds that is potato based (like their fries or hash browns), but that's because those foods don't tend to work very well once they get cold. The same for the other QSRs... some of the sandwiches/burgers from QSRs are downright nasty as well.when they get cold/dried out..
Old May 21, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
It's only tacky when the food is particularly pungent. So, no pickled eggs, Limburger cheese, or curry.
Or durian.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm a choosy enough eater that I can't count on finding an airline's meal service suitable, even in premium classes. Often what'll happen is that I pick at the fruit or vegetable portion and leave the rest, or take a few bites of the meat and leave the rest. To make sure my appetite and nutrition requirements are met I usually eat a meal pre-flight, say in the terminal where there are a wide variety of choices available, even when I know food will be served aboard, and carry aboard a few shelf-stable snacks (like protein bars) in case nothing offered is palatable.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
I've bought salads in terminal and brought them on board. Come meal time, I just ask the FA to give me the tray without the main course. Then you've got napkin, cutlery, glasses, even something passing as dessert..
Old May 23, 2018, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Please, no smell at all.
pinniped likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.