FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Bringing your own food into First Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1896608-bringing-your-own-food-into-first-class.html)

Cloudship Mar 2, 2018 10:47 am

Bringing your own food into First Class

On longer flights, with the demise of food in coach, I sometimes either pack something in a Tupperware container or buy something at a CIBO or something to eat on the flight. First Class still serves meals, however. As a finicky eater, I find that often I don't like what they serve at all, and feel guilty because I have basically wasted a tray of food I am not going to eat.

How tacky would it be to bring something on board to eat during the flight when you are in first class? I don't mean something you eat while sitting at the gate waiting to depart - I am talking about 2 hours into the flight pulling out your own meal box. Your thoughts on this?

nerd Mar 2, 2018 10:50 am

Go for it. ^

Lost Mar 2, 2018 10:51 am

I see it as no problem at all.

Often1 Mar 2, 2018 11:01 am

Sounds like US domestic F?

Not even a remote concern. Lots of people choose to bring their own food.

Don't worry about the waste. Either a crew member will have an extra something or the meal gets tossed. But, it will be tossed anyway if you are "finnicky" and don't eat.

Doesn't even have to be Tupperware. Could be generic plastic from the grocery store !

MissJ Mar 2, 2018 12:53 pm

Do what you like. I wouldn't give it a second thought if I saw someone do that.

Annalisa12 Mar 2, 2018 1:06 pm

As long as it doesn't stink.

Proudelitist Mar 2, 2018 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 29477397)
On longer flights, with the demise of food in coach, I sometimes either pack something in a Tupperware container or buy something at a CIBO or something to eat on the flight. First Class still serves meals, however. As a finicky eater, I find that often I don't like what they serve at all, and feel guilty because I have basically wasted a tray of food I am not going to eat.

How tacky would it be to bring something on board to eat during the flight when you are in first class? I don't mean something you eat while sitting at the gate waiting to depart - I am talking about 2 hours into the flight pulling out your own meal box. Your thoughts on this?

It's only tacky when the food is particularly pungent. So, no pickled eggs, Limburger cheese, or curry.

CPRich Mar 2, 2018 4:35 pm

Sounds fine.

JY1024 Mar 2, 2018 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by nerd (Post 29477406)
Go for it. ^

Originally Posted by Lost (Post 29477408)
I see it as no problem at all.

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29477437)
Not even a remote concern. Lots of people choose to bring their own food.!

Originally Posted by honores41 (Post 29477561)
I would do it

Originally Posted by MissJ (Post 29477889)
Do what you like. I wouldn't give it a second thought if I saw someone do that.

+1 I've seen people do it. I've done it when I wanted a nice salad for my meal (instead of the 3 pieces of wilted lettuce. Don't see a problem with it at all!

lofirick Mar 2, 2018 5:16 pm

Just do what you have to do. It doesn't seem tacky at all.

Carnforth Mar 2, 2018 5:27 pm

There's certainly a precedent.
Many years ago I read the biography of Akio Morita, the founder of Sony.
It was his normal practice when flying trans-pacific to bring a simple obento on board, eat it after take off and get his head down for the rest of the flight.

Vegas Vegan Mar 2, 2018 9:50 pm

I do it every flight as DL's VGML (vegan) special meals are vile. < insert vomit emoji >

Gig103 Mar 2, 2018 9:56 pm

Preferably nothing stinky - same rule is true of economy though!

Nice that OP found a topic we can all pretty much agree on.

aquamarinesteph Mar 3, 2018 12:32 am

I can't see a problem with a passenger in any class bringing their own food. My own personal request is that a person sitting near me doesn't bring any stinky foods, but ultimately I have no control over that aspect of flight.

Aventine Mar 3, 2018 12:59 am

Go for it. Just please no kimchi.