Search

Bringing your own food into First Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Go for it. Just please no kimchi.
That was my first thought as well.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:18 am

With how many people have dietary restrictions, I think most people wouldn't even blink an eye. That being said, as others have stated, no kimchi, natto, or hákarl please
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:17 am

Yes I find a feisty Thai mackerel curry with a side of kimchi, followed by a few slices of ripe Durian works well. Bring extra for your cabin-mates
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:43 am
Suspended

Half the reason I hate people bringing food into coach is that they take up so much space - you can't have your tray down during takeoff so they're juggling their carry ons and the bag of five guys or giant sandwich or whatever. If you're in first class that's much less of an issue
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by arkellvspressdram
Yes I find a feisty Thai mackerel curry with a side of kimchi, followed by a few slices of ripe Durian works well. Bring extra for your cabin-mates
That's it! We can have a Flyertalk Durian party on board!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I'm vegetarian and I quite often bring something onboard for me to eat, plus a 1/2 litre or liter of water, depending on length of flight.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Cloudship
How tacky would it be to bring something on board to eat during the flight when you are in first class?
Would you have the same concern it the flight was 14h long in Economy?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Nothing wrong with bringing your own food on board regardless of class providing it isn't malodorous. I've done it several times. I've also brought adult libations on board even though the airlines frown on it.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I see no issue with it. My go-to is typically a cold deli sandwich...ideally assembled fresh in the airport but I'll buy a packaged one out of a case if I have to. Easy to tuck into my carry-on, can easily wait until after take-off to be eaten, can be eaten with or without the tray table, requires no utensils, does not stink, doesn't turn into a greasy mess, and does not create a bulky amount of trash for the FA to haul away.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:56 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

Heck, some airlines like UA in DEN are encouraging it by not having catered flights for like 6 months...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
It's only tacky when the food is particularly pungent. So, no pickled eggs, Limburger cheese, or curry.
It's also courteous to avoid messy foods. Passengers around you and those on the aircraft's next flight don't want to see your crumbs or have sticky armrests and tray tables.

I'll sometimes bring one of the snack packages (sold by my grocery store and IIRC made by Kraft) have cheese, crackers, protein, and nuts on a flight in FC with drink service only or a minimal snack basket if I suspect I'll be hungry. It's not great food, but it's better than pigging out on the peanuts and it's very convenient and easy to eat.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by arkellvspressdram
No meal is complete without some cheese. May I suggest some ripe Brie de Meaux?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
On other hand, some airlines tell you that you can't bring and eat your own food onboard. I always wanted to know what FA will do - try to take the food from my hands or call police to arrest me after arrival for eating?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by onobond
No meal is complete without some cheese. May I suggest some ripe Brie de Meaux?
that's if you're being kind, the malevolently antisocial individual would bring some room temperature Epoisses
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by invisible
On other hand, some airlines tell you that you can't bring and eat your own food onboard. I always wanted to know what FA will do - try to take the food from my hands or call police to arrest me after arrival for eating?
Probably inform you of the policy, and instruct you to hand over your food. Pre-departure I would guess you might be asked to deplane for not following instructions. In air, I doubt anything would come of it... though I guess technically you could be met on arrival for refusing to follow crew instructions.

Re: the OP... People do it all the time, if you want to bring your own food, do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.