Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recurring and lucid dreaming on flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Recurring and lucid dreaming on flights

Does anyone else get recurring lucid dreams while flying?

I generally don’t sleep very well on planes, even when I have a lay-flat seat. But I can reliably sleep on early morning flights after at least a partial night’s sleep. A few years into traveling weekly for work, I started to get a variant of the same recurring dream every week. In my dream I’d “wake up” with the flight making it’s final approach for landing. I’d look out the window and see some very vivid scenery (always different), the plane would land and taxi to the gate, and I’d get off the plane and exit the airport. That’s when I would actually wake up, usually about halfway through the flight.

The other unique element of this reoccurring dream is that it’s a lucid dream – I’m aware that I’m dreaming and could choose to wake myself up if I wanted.

Now that I don’t travel regularly for work, I still get this dream without fail when I’m flying early in the morning. Has anyone else here experienced anything like this?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ruckzac
Does anyone else get recurring lucid dreams while flying?

I generally don’t sleep very well on planes, even when I have a lay-flat seat. But I can reliably sleep on early morning flights after at least a partial night’s sleep. A few years into traveling weekly for work, I started to get a variant of the same recurring dream every week. In my dream I’d “wake up” with the flight making it’s final approach for landing. I’d look out the window and see some very vivid scenery (always different), the plane would land and taxi to the gate, and I’d get off the plane and exit the airport. That’s when I would actually wake up, usually about halfway through the flight.

The other unique element of this reoccurring dream is that it’s a lucid dream – I’m aware that I’m dreaming and could choose to wake myself up if I wanted.

Now that I don’t travel regularly for work, I still get this dream without fail when I’m flying early in the morning. Has anyone else here experienced anything like this?
I'm usually two sheets to the wind on long flights so I'm out--no memory of any dream whatsoever.
rucksack likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Are you taking any drugs you only use for flights? Some drugs, including some OTC can give people vivid dreams. I get them with Aleve and this is a documented condition.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by milepig
Are you taking any drugs you only use for flights? Some drugs, including some OTC can give people vivid dreams. I get them with Aleve and this is a documented condition.
sounds good to me. Where can I get this “aleve” you speak of. Lol
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
If you are using melatonin for sleep, it has a known effect of vivid dreams. That could be exaggerated in flight by the different air pressure and surroundings.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Nope, never take any melatonin or meds. Usually just a water and a Chic-fil-A biscuit. I guess you could count Chic-til-A as medicine haha.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: *G
Yeah I get tons of dreams of the landing sequence , and , less often, just dreams of the cruise portion of the flight itself, while onboard.

I think it's due to the partial sleep and being influenced by exterior environment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.