Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

2nd interview coming up, ok to ask about specific travel policies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2nd interview coming up, ok to ask about specific travel policies?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I'm going to play it by ear. If the opportunity presents itself, I will ask, if not so be it. My interview tomorrow is with the person I would report to. Since I already have the benefits package, there is nothing to discuss in that regard, as it has its good and bad points. I did end round 1 with an off the cuff comment, in that I said I'm happy to work for the company, but I'm a diehard Broncos fan and will not convert to a Steelers fan if hired. She asked what I was currently making, and I responded with a question of what others are making in similar roles. She gave me the range and honestly we aren't that far off from what I currently make. I'm doing well enough that its never been about the money, but more importantly will I fit and enjoy what I'm doing. Money is second to enjoying what I do for a living. I'm too old to only focus on money, I prefer being happy first.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: 100000 mile flyer
Break a leg... and get their offer letter in writing ... then hem and haw if you dont get answers to my definitive list of questions. If you are travelling 35-50+% of the time, those scores I discuss are really critical for your well being. Knock their SOX off tomorrow first!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: none
If it is really a deal breaker for you, you owe it to the interviewing company to get it resolved as soon as possible. No sense wasting your time - or theirs. Also, if this process reveals that they have some unacceptable (to you) policies/expectations, send your resume to someone else.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
Having worked for a company that denied reimbursement for a bottle of water purchased at 3pm in the afternoon because it wasn't a "defined meal time", I'd definitely ask.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I'm going to play it by ear. If the opportunity presents itself, I will ask, if not so be it. My interview tomorrow is with the person I would report to. Since I already have the benefits package, there is nothing to discuss in that regard, as it has its good and bad points. I did end round 1 with an off the cuff comment, in that I said I'm happy to work for the company, but I'm a diehard Broncos fan and will not convert to a Steelers fan if hired. She asked what I was currently making, and I responded with a question of what others are making in similar roles. She gave me the range and honestly we aren't that far off from what I currently make. I'm doing well enough that its never been about the money, but more importantly will I fit and enjoy what I'm doing. Money is second to enjoying what I do for a living. I'm too old to only focus on money, I prefer being happy first.
If you get an offer, don't be afraid to graciously thank them for the offer, then say something on the order of "I do want to make the best possible decision for my family, and so I have a couple of final questions; is it OK if I ask?" Then make sure it's only a couple of questions.

One might be something like, "I know we've talked a bit about the travel, and it looks like there isn't a formal travel policy. I'm just curious: Would you describe expense reimbursement here as more frugal than most, more generous than most, or pretty much like most other companies?" No matter the answer, follow up with "Tell me more about that."

If they say "Why do you ask?", don't be afraid of a little honesty. "As you probably know, a heavy travel job is a lot different from an office job, so I think it's a good idea to have a clear picture of policies and expectations around travel and expenses."
COSPILOT and Cardboard55 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
A few thoughts from a person who's traveled and managed traveling teams the past 15 years:

1) You're at the right stage of the process to be asking about travel policy, given that it is a travel job. You're not asking "Do I have to travel?" or even "How much do I have to travel?" (these are first interview questions, frankly, not later) but rather what policies and norms govern travel.

2) Asking about travel policy doesn't necessarily mean demanding, straight up, "Tell me what kind of hotels and flights I can book." I like to ease into it naturally as part of a conversation beginning with broad starter questions like, "Tell me what a typical week looks like for you/would look like for me." From there I'll dig in to how grueling travel is, where people tend to stay, what flight schedules are like (always 6am departures or fly out the day before?), who manages bookings, etc.

3) Any would-be direct supervisor of a traveling employee who reacts negatively to the above is an immediate red flag to me as an interviewee. These are material components of the job situation, and I am a traveling professional. If you don't recognize that, better we agree now it's a bad fit than 3-6 months from now.

4) Asking for a copy of written travel policy as you get close to terms with the company is a good thing to do in addition to casually discussing travel norms with your prospective manager and colleagues.

5) The fact that this company has no written policy strikes me as odd. How small is the company? I joined a company with fewer than 15 people that had a written policy. It was less than 3 pages and it was basic, but it was something. Without this it's crucial to collect multiple data points on travel practices.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
A few thoughts from a person who's traveled and managed traveling teams the past 15 years:

1) You're at the right stage of the process to be asking about travel policy, given that it is a travel job. You're not asking "Do I have to travel?" or even "How much do I have to travel?" (these are first interview questions, frankly, not later) but rather what policies and norms govern travel.

2) Asking about travel policy doesn't necessarily mean demanding, straight up, "Tell me what kind of hotels and flights I can book." I like to ease into it naturally as part of a conversation beginning with broad starter questions like, "Tell me what a typical week looks like for you/would look like for me." From there I'll dig in to how grueling travel is, where people tend to stay, what flight schedules are like (always 6am departures or fly out the day before?), who manages bookings, etc.

3) Any would-be direct supervisor of a traveling employee who reacts negatively to the above is an immediate red flag to me as an interviewee. These are material components of the job situation, and I am a traveling professional. If you don't recognize that, better we agree now it's a bad fit than 3-6 months from now.

4) Asking for a copy of written travel policy as you get close to terms with the company is a good thing to do in addition to casually discussing travel norms with your prospective manager and colleagues.

5) The fact that this company has no written policy strikes me as odd. How small is the company? I joined a company with fewer than 15 people that had a written policy. It was less than 3 pages and it was basic, but it was something. Without this it's crucial to collect multiple data points on travel practices.
Regarding # 5, its what I call a small company. About 400 employees with only 12 or so that travel. I agree that they likely have a policy, but she was simply unaware of it. I'm likely overthinking this, but I learned long ago to know more about a company than they know about themselves whether its an employer or client.
Guess I will know more tomorrow. Thanks again for everyone's very detailed thoughts.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Regarding # 5, its what I call a small company. About 400 employees with only 12 or so that travel. I agree that they likely have a policy, but she was simply unaware of it.
Hmm. With such a small percentage of employees who travel it's believable they don't have a written policy. Maybe it's never seemed that important to them to document and they've been able to get by with a "spend company money wisely" policy. As you probably know, that can cut both ways. That's where it's important to understand the mindset of the person/people approving travel. One person's "wisely" means nonstop flights and 3.5 star hotels, another's means taking 6am departures with multiple connections because it's $100 cheaper and staying at dingy motels.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by chrisdenver1
Having worked for a company that denied reimbursement for a bottle of water purchased at 3pm in the afternoon because it wasn't a "defined meal time", I'd definitely ask.
Why would you make a point of remembering something like that. I mean, it was a bottle of water. Not exactly a budget buster for you I am sure.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chrisdenver1
You tried to expense a bottle of water in the mid-afternoon? Why would anyone reimburse that?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by LondonElite

You tried to expense a bottle of water in the mid-afternoon? Why would anyone reimburse that?
My company would reimburse this without a second thought. I'd approve this without a second thought.

Better question - why is this an unreasonable expense on a business trip?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Just a quick update. I finished the interview (round 2). The opportunity to discuss specifics on travel never happened, in regard to policy. He was focused on what matters, in that I can sell. Good conversation with round 3 tomorrow, although he is trying to override that and hire me soon. He seems like a great guy/manager and has zero desire to micro manage me. It was made clear that I drive the boat for my territory, with no need for approval with what I would do.

Never had an interview via video conference before. He figured out I like coffee, and I figured out he likes Snapple.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Feb 28, 2018 at 11:17 pm
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: LH M+M
Dont get overexcited and just assume that all goes well (which might, but safe > sorry).
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
It was made clear that I drive the boat for my territory, with no need for approval with what I would do.
Yikes--be careful with that!

Good luck too.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Phase 3 complete, phase 4 tomorrow morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.