Search

"Flights" that aren't actually on aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
"Flights" that aren't actually on aircraft

I saw this trip report recently where the user flew one segment as normal and then connected to his destination using a van...all on one ticket:

I've never heard of such a concept until now but other than the mentioned connection and KLM's bus/train connections from Amsterdam, I'm having a hard time finding such "flights". Is this all that common, and if so, what other ones are there?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:47 pm
Suspended

If you have ever done the Rio to Sao Paulo to US thing, you get a single itinerary with a flight from GIG to CGH, and then have to make your way across the city to GRU for the flight out of Brazil. BTW..make sure you have HOURS. It is a slow drive. There is a shuttle bus, but I think a taxi is probably quicker. Or a helicopter. I looked into the helicopter..it about 500 dollars.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
LH has codeshare options with Deutsche Bahn between FRA and Stuttgart (and I think Cologne and Düsseldorf).

UA also connects at EWR to Amtrak trains to Philadelphia.

There is also a bus service between Dubai city centre and AUH, which I think can be booked as an EY codeshare.

When searching Kayak for flights to/from BHX, results sometimes include a National Express bus sector between BHX and LHR.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Back in the days of the paper ticket, I often flew into SFO and took the UA-affiliated South Bay Flyer bus to SJC...all on one ticket. I hear the same is/was possible on Continental to Philadelphia, although I never took that one.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Reminds me of the fact that Amtrak operates a huge bus fleet.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:12 pm

Beaumont, TX

United has a ''flight" from Houston to Beaumont that is actual a shuttle bus.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
LH has codeshare options with Deutsche Bahn between FRA and Stuttgart (and I think Cologne and Düsseldorf).

UA also connects at EWR to Amtrak trains to Philadelphia.

There is also a bus service between Dubai city centre and AUH, which I think can be booked as an EY codeshare.

When searching Kayak for flights to/from BHX, results sometimes include a National Express bus sector between BHX and LHR.
UA's option is interesting as it would enable you to "fly" to Delaware despite no airline actually sending planes there (at the moment, anyway). Of course, it likely wouldn't count if you actually wanted to try to fly to all 50 states.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by tmiw
I saw this trip report recently where the user flew one segment as normal and then connected to his destination using a van...all on one ticket:
Pax said he did not get miles for the airplane segment, yet got miles for the van segment
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
One of the major mobility trends is towards things like integrated rail and airline tickets, so that passengers can easy book end to end connected experiences. There were quite a few investments by groups like the SNCF (French rail) in this area a few years ago, though I've not seen a mature product yet. At the other end of the scale, you can routinely buy combined ferry/ bus/ flight tickets in the backpacker destinations of Thailand, aimed at Australian teenagers who get lost in their youth hostels.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:49 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Acces Rail (accesrail.com) is one of the main providers of GDS input for this - a look at their website will give some background. Some airlines have deliberately built rail/air hubs (like the high-speed rail station at CDG) for this purpose. In other countries, there is a more flexible approach, such as DB's Rail+Fly product, where a supplement on a rail ticket will give you a flexible journey to/from the airport (which may be on a long-distance high-speed rail service) on or near the day of travel. Swiss Railways go a step further, offering check-in at a number of stations across the network, although they also offer a free "Airtrain" service from Basel to Zurich.

For quirkier ones, perhaps look to the airside "Skypier" ferry pier for transfers from HKG to Macau and mainland China, without even entering the country. There's a whole host of high-speed boats providing this service, and I believe some are now codeshares.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
Reminds me of the fact that Amtrak operates a huge bus fleet.
Yup, but you cannot ride the bus if you do not ride the train.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
LH has IIRC 'flights' operated by buses.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by kool43
United has a ''flight" from Houston to Beaumont that is actual a shuttle bus.
That's the same with UA's "flight" from Newark to Allentown.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
There used to be a UA bus from ORD to Rockford, IL. I want to say it even counted as its own elite-qualifying segment, although you could only book it with a flight connection...not as a mileage run by itself.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Years ago when I used to ski in Switzerland, Swissair allowed you to check your baggage right through to your hotel in whichever resort you were going to, and would pick up your suitcases from your hotel on the return, delivering them at Heathrow baggage claim. I don’t know whether they sold the train ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.