Wiki Posts
Search

What's your personal travel style ...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
What's your personal travel style ...

Not work related. What's your style of a trip. When I am with others I just put my interest aside now and do their usual chit chat, eat, drink, malls, walk along the most touristic things. The other half is that they always go to the same place that they know friends and family and then sticking to the suburban areas or the Asian Estate tall apartment areas - the day to day stuff, going to markets buying food and then come home to cook.

Is it mainly ...
Just relaxing, shopping dining ... experiencing the local food, markets etc .. maybe the most typical touristic attractions.
More indepth .. culture, museums, history stuff
Other specific interests - cooking course, enrolling for a language course, dance course, food and wine little course .., undertaking fishing, hiking, or various sports like golfing you are into ... Maybe a concert or something? Maybe some sport event like the Rugby or Soccer or the Olympics?
Resort based or beach based or cruise ship ...
Visiting friends and family you know there already ...
Something else?

Cheers.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I work my butt off 7 days per week so when I go away I want to stay in one or two places over a two week period and relax. I want to swim, read books, sleep in, stay up late, eat and do a little bit of sight seeing. I just want to be out for a morning or arvo seeing the sights. I don't want to travel from hotel to hotel or do multiple flights.

My goal one day is to go to a city holding the Olympics.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like doing more of the sightseeing/walking around thing. I don't have to stay in fancy hotels (and generally don't, since I'll be asleep most of the time I'm in a hotel anyway) but do like to go to nice restaurants.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
For me, a vacation is not about relaxing. I like to see and do as much as possible. I don't mind splitting a vacation between a couple of hotels or even a couple of cities. I can spend a few days lounging around a beach or pool but I get bored easily and want to move on to something else.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:49 am
Suspended

I hate tours, particularly guided ones.

When I am travelling for leisure, I tend to play it by ear day by day. I am more interested in walking around, going into restaurants and bars, napping and generally trying to integrate. If there are things I really should not miss, I will go and see them but for the most part I am treating every day like a lazy saturday.
AEM7AC likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:13 am
Suspended

Most of my travel is outdoor interests based. I go somewhere for the hiking opportunities or because there is great snorkeling, etc. I rarely visit cities as they have few attractions for me compared to anything to do with being outdoors and enjoying nature. I can enjoy a week sightseeing in somewhere like Rome but given my preference I am more likely to go and stay in a small mountain village in the Alps somewhere and go hiking every day. If I end up on some typical beach vacation island, I will rent a car and spend my time exploring the island. I'll spend no time lying on the beach.

It really is a case of to each his own, we don't all have the same interests.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM
Retired means I'm not looking to relax. I book okay-not-great hotels based on proximity to public transportation and plan to spend as little time in them as possible. I like longer trips -- 3-6 weeks -- and break them up between cities and countryside. We live in an area where mountain hikes are a dime a dozen so I don't look for that when traveling but enjoy if it happens to be there.

I'm not a fan of groups but it is nice to break up long, DIY trips with a cruise or something just to have a week or two where someone else is worrying about the details. By the end, I'm usually close to wanting to throw myself off the bow and happy to be on our own again, refreshed and ready to go.

Historical sites, museums, walking tours, food tours, leisurely lunches and dinners (preferably outdoors) with lots and lots of walking during the day and into the evening. Jogging in the park or along the river if my feet are up to it. I try to get a walking tour and a city museum in early so as to have at some context for what we'll be seeing. We typically average 8 miles of walking a day, some days as much as 12. This is because we enjoy exploring all the nooks and crannies and off-the-beaten-trail parts and because we need to walk off all those leisurely lunches and dinners.

We're enjoying driving less and less these days, which makes touring the smaller villages difficult. There are still plenty of smaller cities and towns we haven't been to that are accessible by train, but at some point we'll rent a car again and hope we don't get run off a cliff in southern France or sideswipe a limestone wall on a one-car-wide road with 2-way traffic in the Cotswolds.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by rayonline
Not work related. What's your style of a trip. When I am with others I just put my interest aside now and do their usual chit chat, eat, drink, malls, walk along the most touristic things. The other half is that they always go to the same place that they know friends and family and then sticking to the suburban areas or the Asian Estate tall apartment areas - the day to day stuff, going to markets buying food and then come home to cook.

Is it mainly ...
Just relaxing, shopping dining ... experiencing the local food, markets etc .. maybe the most typical touristic attractions.
More indepth .. culture, museums, history stuff
Other specific interests - cooking course, enrolling for a language course, dance course, food and wine little course .., undertaking fishing, hiking, or various sports like golfing you are into ... Maybe a concert or something? Maybe some sport event like the Rugby or Soccer or the Olympics?
Resort based or beach based or cruise ship ...
Visiting friends and family you know there already ...
Something else?

Cheers.
flown and traveled for singular purpose for each of those activities listed. why not
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:36 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I love relaxing on the beach.

But then there's another 23.5h of the day to fill, so I tend to find plenty stuff to do it with. I'm really quite easily pleased. Give me a couple of good markets and a café, I'm happy. The rest, urban or rural, is icing on the cake, and I love icing.

I'm not a natural sit-still relaxer. I have an urge to explore places, although less of the kind that used to get me into trouble.

Just don't organise a tour for me.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:51 pm
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
while l like not being at work, relaxing is a waste of time. laying by a pool or beach would kill me. i go places to see things i've always wanted to see. everything is planned and booked ahead of time. everything. get in, see it, get out. traveling solo really helps with this. i like multi-city, multi-(plane, train, auto) trips.

i will take time to walk around a city with interesting architecture, try the local street food (i'm not a foodie, i detest fancy food & restaurants), find a pub with live ethnic music. i'll talk to locals i run into, but i don't go out of my way to meet or hang out with groups of people.
bigbuy likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:46 am

Solo
By bicycle or, sometimes, taxi brousse
Lightly planned
One shoulder bag
Non-Disney Africa (e.g., Africa minus Morocco, Tunisia, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, South Africa and safari places)
People-oriented, not food or museums or attractions
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Our "style" of travel has changed a bit with age. My late mother-in-law used to say "growing old isn't for sissies" She was right.

Stairs are out now, we still enjoy walking around and discovery, however the territory covered by walking has reduced. One mile maybe, but no more 4 or 5 miles.

Our trips are usually 3 or 4 months, definitely researched and planned, only by us.

Since they typically involve planes, ships, trains and at times automobiles, they are pre-booked. Lodging is also pre-booked, but only by us.

Last edited by Jeannietx; Feb 19, 2018 at 8:18 pm
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At 64, still looking to spend as much time walking as possible. Just being in another culture, another language, another history is energizing.

Museums, drinking, eating and just being elsewhere. That's my list.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
My travel style is best described as "free range." Maximum flexibility with a general disdain for anything organized or pre-packaged. All inclusive resorts, guided tours and cruises are generally avoided.
KDS777, The_Bouncer and Beltway2A like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I am going to try something new and spend a week solo at a resort in Cancun.

I'm not sure how I am going to like it as I usually go-go during my vacations.

But I am planning on walking the beach every day, taking the little bus to all the tacky tourist areas up around Punta Cancun, reading a book. I picked a more relaxed resort, not all inclusive.

I will either return relaxed or insane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.