Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your most memorable train journeys (well, except Trans-Siberian and E/O Express)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your most memorable train journeys (well, except Trans-Siberian and E/O Express)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
You aren't too far off. According to this website:

https://www.east-west-tours.com/tran...cow-to-beijing

Prices are:

PER PERSON :
$ 5,870.00 (* Standard - quad)
$ 8,840.00 (Classic )
$ 9,310.00 (Superior )
$ 9,920.00 (Superior Plus )
$11,900.00 (Nostalgic Comfort)
$15,520.00 (Bolshoi )
$18,330.00 (Bolshoi Platinum)
That's a private tour, not the regularly-scheduled Trans Siberian. A first class cabin is ~$1100 per person Moscow to Beijing.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: QF
Darwin to Adelaide on The Ghan
Perth to Sydney on The Indian Pacific
The Rocky Mountaineer
Trans Siberian.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:54 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The first trip up to London with my son, at a tiny 7 weeks old. Isn't it easy when they just sleep..?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
Darwin to Adelaide on The Ghan
Perth to Sydney on The Indian Pacific
The Rocky Mountaineer
Trans Siberian.
I was a bit disappointed with the Ghan, it seemed to be trying a bit too hard, not a patch on the Indian Pacific for interest and general atmosphere, but each to their own,

I actually quite liked the Sunlander and thought Cairns was a great place, if a bit hot.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
When traveling in Europe my preference is always train over plane if the train trip is 8 hours or less. The whole point for me is being able to see the journey.

My favorite trip was from Munich to Florence and we were seated with a lady who was an American from NYC who met an Italian and had move to Italy about 20 years prior. She was so interesting and kept us entertained with her stories the whole journey.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The Flam (Norway) scenic train is pretty amazing. We took it this past July.
A1pax likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
The Crescent, on Amtrak, which runs from New York to Atlanta and New Orleans. I try to take it instead of flying every now and then. It's so nice to get on (in the South), go right to my room and fall asleep, get up, have a nice breakfast in the new dining car, get some work done and then have lunch and get off. The train passes through Virginia in the morning, and it's a beautiful ride.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:06 pm
phb

Originally Posted by farci
I know the thread starter excluded Trans-Siberian but this this You Tube video shows how you can travel from England-Hong Kong by train without breaking the bank. Apparently the journey cost GBP2,000 per person including 4 x country Visas, all train travel and flight back home. Hotels and excursions extra.

I hate the expression but definitely 'Bucket List'
done that from HK to UK. There's a trip report somewhere on ft.

Another good trip from a.couple of years back was saltburn (uk) to Samarkand.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Overnight train from Tangier to Marrakech.

Hot, sweltering train from Yangon to Mandalay.

Train from Budapest to Istanbul with a stop in Bucharest.

Aguascalientes to Cuzco in Peru.

From Williams, AZ to the Grand Canyon as a kid.

Chris
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
I do like to fly, but trains are so much more interesting:
  • Across Patagonia from San Antonio Oeste to Bariloche in 2003. You could open the doors during the ride and watch the spectacular starry sky. Don't know if this train still operates.
  • California Zephyr from Denver to Emeryville in 2013. Laid-back journey, great views, interesting passengers.
  • Nozomi Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto in 2014. Amazing technology and precision.
  • Mandovi Express from Mumbai to Goa in 2015. Best food ever on a train, great views and a fantastic old and nostalgic train.
  • Sri Lanka: Kandy to Ella in 2015. Amazing scenery riding through the tea plantations.
  • Villach to Kranj in an old compartment car in 2016. Nothing like opening the window and sticking your head out into the wind. Childhood memories.
  • Shosholoza Meyl from Johannesburg to Cape Town in 2017. Just a glimpse of South Africa and interesting conversations with my compartment-mates.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
New Zealand. The Northern Explorer combined with the Coastal Pacific, included the 3 hour ferry between Picton and Wellington.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.