Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

BUSINESS CLASS - LAX TO LHR ??? Which airline is best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BUSINESS CLASS - LAX TO LHR ??? Which airline is best?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:09 am

I'm not sure. On the AA site it is a 777 Version 2 and we are in the back of the plane where there are 2 seats in rows 36 and 37 seats J and L. The MCE only offers an additional 1" of pitch. We didn't think it was worth twice the price for the inch. It is flight 108 out of LAX in September. If there really isn't a huge price change more than 30% then I would opt for the roomier MCE or PE. However the seat map doesn't show this to be the case, only an additional inch of pitch. Thank you Yoshi for the help, I find that the help here is amazing to me as I don't fly more than 2 or 3 times a year and mostly domestically. It is hard if you are on a limited budget to be able to travel, so we have to suffer the flights to be able to travel internationally. We don't have CC points.

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Are you on the 77W? If so, think about buying up to their Economy Main Cabin Extra section. On the AA 77W in Y it is 10 seats across vs the more standard 9 across in Main Cabin Extra with 4-5 more inches of Pitch & up to almost 2 inches wider of a seat.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA + IHG
AA vs BA BIZ LAX to LHR

I am flying BIZ LAX to LHR in a couple of weeks.

I bought BIZ on BA (BOEING 747-400) and have a seat on the upper deck.

I also bought a coach seat on AA (BOEING 777-200). I am wait-listed for a SYSTEMWIDE.

Flights are virtually at the same time. I bought the BA as insurance against the systemwide not clearing and will simply re-use whichever ticket does not get used and try and negotiate a reduced change fee.

The systemwide will expire in JAN.

QUESTION: If the systemwide on AA clears which plane would you get on based on the above?

Thank you.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I’m perfectly happy on the UD of a BA 747. I have not flown AA for some time so cannot comment on their current business class offering to the UK.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
given that the 747 is an endangered species, I’d be upstairs on that one in a heartbeat (and that’s why I’m paying BA’s ridiculous surcharges and seat selection fees on next summer’s AS award tix LAS-LHR-CPT)
Old Oct 26, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I would also go for the 747-400 upper deck ( without status you will need to pay a seat selection fee for the cheapest business class fares ( if you have a fully flexible business class fare then seat selection is free)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:00 am

Thanks for everyone to help me lean towards upper deck on BA. Thankfully BA considers AA EP status and allows one to select a seat without a charge.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cg4040
Thanks for everyone to help me lean towards upper deck on BA. Thankfully BA considers AA EP status and allows one to select a seat without a charge.

Hi,

Also remember that AA EXP will give you first class check in on BA and access to the Qantas F lounge at LAX (very good lounge) when leaving LAX for LHR.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:25 pm

Another excellent point; that Qantas lounge is very high end and in my experience rarely has more than a handful of people in it's massive space. Worth getting to the airport early for....THANKS!
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cg4040
Another excellent point; that Qantas lounge is very high end and in my experience rarely has more than a handful of people in it's massive space. Worth getting to the airport early for....THANKS!
Hi,

Depending on when your BA flight leaves, the QF lounge will start getting busier later on in the evening as the QF and Cathay TPAC flights leave late at night ( still plenty of seats available.) and mid-afternoon it is very quiet. You can also use the AA Flagship lounge in T4 ( as T4 and TBIT has the airside connection -about a 5min walk)

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Exit row UD BA J on the 744 (is it 64A/K?) would be my favorite because it's very private and quiet up there and the 747-400 is the greatest. AA's 77W is a very nice hard product, but sadly it comes with the AA soft product.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Exit row UD BA J on the 744 (is it 64A/K?) would be my favorite because it's very private and quiet up there and the 747-400 is the greatest. AA's 77W is a very nice hard product, but sadly it comes with the AA soft product.

Hi,

It is actually 62AK that are the exit row seats ( in front of the emergency exit door mid cabin) but 64AK are also very good and private.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
I absolutely loved the service on NZ, however I think they're ending that route soon. Seat was a bit 'exposed' in the sense it faced inwards - strange, but you got used to it very quickly. The service made it though - incredible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.