Wiki Posts
Search

The worst visa you've had to apply for

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Except that the consulate in Toronto requested confirmation of all booking of hotels listed on the letter of invitation.

Had to make refundable reservations at all the hotels on Expedia. Pointless exercise of course since I just cancelled them after since after you're in Russia, noone cares where u stay.

As for other visas, I remember having to mail in applications for Syria (2005), Myanmar (2008), and I think Vietnam (2008). Iran was also a mail away while they still had an embassy in Canada (2011)

India is a pain in the butt in person, really strict on photo size, background, and the agency that processes the applications is only open like 10am-2pm

Someone mentioned Uzbekistan, that was easy once I figured out you get one on arrival assuming your country doesn't have a Uzbek embassy.
Turkmenistan was not hard but you did require booking a package thru an agency.
Regarding my remark about the Russian visa, that was assuming it was through an agency rather than independently. What I do know is that a private citizen has even more headaches getting an invitation sorted than an agency ever would be!

Does Uzbekistan really still have that VOA in place for those without an embassy? Interesting!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
India by far. OMG India. I frequently have to get visas on a very last minute basis (Find out Monday that you leave for India on Wednesday type of notice). India is the only one that is routinely problematic. They always issue one year visas when multi-year are requested. Inevitably, the next trip will be 13 months later, requiring yet another visa. Complicating matters is that I sometimes enter a country on a commercial flight and then leave via company aircraft as crew, or vice versa. Brazil, Russia, Ethiopia, even China, are all fairly time consuming, but easy enough. I never feel like they are subjectively issued or rejected at the whim of the consular officer. India goes out of its way to be difficult.

That said, I am ashamed and embarrassed every time I hear the awful stories of people who dare to try and visit the US.
txviking likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
Complicating matters is that I sometimes enter a country on a commercial flight and then leave via company aircraft as crew, or vice versa.
This is true anywhere in the world though. I've lost track of the amount of times I've been asked to show an "entry stamp" or "exit stamp" when they obviously don't stamp a crewmember in/out on a routine basis. Just keep a copy of your general declaration handy for future reference.
aroundtheworld76 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by B747-437B
This is true anywhere in the world though. I've lost track of the amount of times I've been asked to show an "entry stamp" or "exit stamp" when they obviously don't stamp a crewmember in/out on a routine basis. Just keep a copy of your general declaration handy for future reference.
Yeah, that usually works. It's irrops and such that mess stuff up. arrived PVG once with a Crew visa only to find out that the company plane I was supposed to join the next day had gone mech and the mission was cancelled. No amount of explaining to the Chinese immigration folks would convince them to let me in. I even asked if I could just stay airside overnight before the AA flight back to DFW my office had booked for the next day. Nope. So, off to a still very welcoming HKG I went.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
India by far. OMG India. I frequently have to get visas on a very last minute basis (Find out Monday that you leave for India on Wednesday type of notice). India is the only one that is routinely problematic. They always issue one year visas when multi-year are requested. Inevitably, the next trip will be 13 months later, requiring yet another visa. Complicating matters is that I sometimes enter a country on a commercial flight and then leave via company aircraft as crew, or vice versa. Brazil, Russia, Ethiopia, even China, are all fairly time consuming, but easy enough. I never feel like they are subjectively issued or rejected at the whim of the consular officer. India goes out of its way to be difficult.

That said, I am ashamed and embarrassed every time I hear the awful stories of people who dare to try and visit the US.
Sounds like we have similar travel habits.
India....Yep.
Although I was able to get a 4-year Indian visa from the Chicago consulate. Drop off in the morning, go watch a taping of Oprah's show, pick up visa in the afternoon.
Brazil was a similar process, and required an overnight in Chicago...but at least that was for a ten year visa.
Russia...forget about it. Trip to Washington, several days in Washington...then fly on to Moscow (with a 10 day visa costing as much as a Moscow hotel room )
aroundtheworld76 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by ilcannone
Does Uzbekistan really still have that VOA in place for those without an embassy? Interesting!
To be precise, it was VOA only if you had an invitation letter.
Turkmenistan does not require a tour per se. I used an agency that just had me book the hotel with them, and I was free on my own in the country.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Without a doubt, NIGERIA!!! I applied and sent in documents for a visa 2 months before my trip, paying for 'express service', which would 'guarantee' the return of my Passport and visa within 3 (!!!) days should everything ok.

Everything was not ok. Despite having the correct documentation required, I had to call up around 10 times, 50 times if you counted for all the un-answered calls. Each time would be a different answer. "We haven't received it yet (despite tracking saying it has"). "We have many visas to process". "We can only return your visa within 5 days to departure". True to his word, I received my visa 2 days before my 5 week trip through Africa. I called everyday at T-2 weeks, and had to tell the representative that I would be departing from rural Australia, and that Australia Post could take anywhere between 2-7 days. Luckily, he sent it that day.

Converse to that, next door neighbours, Cameroon Consulate's representative in Australia is a gentleman. Answered questions promptly via e-mail, and had my passport within 3 days of sending it.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
So, you're familiar with every application out there? Got it.
It might have been the Burmese entry form in 2009.

Or, it could have been the Burmese application in addition to the Cambodian one.
Apologies for causing offence to you. Kindly post the form which requested grandparents names and I'll happily retract my statement.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
India, both in its old incarnation in the USA, where you had to go through some incompetent travel agency, and in its more recent incarnation, where you have to go through a very problematic online process.

Having said that, foreign friends and colleagues tell me that they find the USA the worst.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Turkmenistan does not require a tour per se. I used an agency that just had me book the hotel with them, and I was free on my own in the country.
Oh, please, tell me more about this. I've never known anyone to visit without a tour unless travelling by land from Iran to Uzbekistan!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A Turkish one during last year's Turkey/US Visa Spat. Typically you can either get an E-Visa for $20 or a Visa on Arrival for $20. However, the US and Turkey got into a pissing match over God knows what and Turkey suspended visas on arrival and e-visas for people from the US. I had a trip planned and therefore I had to fly to New York on a $435 last minute round trip coach ticket from RDU and go to their Consulate. I had to bring a number of documents including my government filings for my business and all my travel documents. And they couldn't even return to the passport with the visa to me the same day, it had to be picked up the next day. It also cost $160 (cash only) instead of $20. And it was just a single entry 90 day visa.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Nigeria, hands down. Angola was pretty straight forward, in comparison, as it was a transit visa.
Brazil was smooth, Russia was also pretty smooth.
Back in the day when Myanmar didn't have an eVisa, had to get a pre-arranged visa through a consulate in Paris. In hindsight not a big deal.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CMK, it was a little more complicated than that, goes much deeper, however it was the US that first said that they were restricting visa applications for Turks in Turkey which was then reciprocated by the Turks. It was a terrible situation, but once again one can get E-visas for $20.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: Delta PM
As an American who has been almost everyplace in North America, Europe and northeast Asia, it's all pretty easy.
Lat year I had to get a multiple entry visa for Vietnam and that was easier than anyplace I went in the Caribbean.
Must of my travel is my boat. The rules become very different than arriving my air. Strangely, northern Europe was simple, while southern Europe was a PIA.
The Caribbean my boat is a real PIA.
I didn't stop in some places, like Columbia, where I was told it would take 3 days just to get in the country.

Sadly, I think the worst is the USA. Not for me obviously, but the bureaucracy has run amok. I ran in to many boaters who wanted to visit, but the paperwork is daunting and they will seldom approve single people from about 80% of the countries in the world.
Richard on Dauntless
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So much for the Brazilian "reciprocity". due to getting almost no US tourists, they are now moving to an easy online system and dropping the "visa" fee down to 40 dollars. Just an acceptance of reality.

Last edited by hfly; Jan 25, 2018 at 1:40 am Reason: Fix typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.