Bird Phobia - Seeking destinations with few or no birds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bird Phobia - Seeking destinations with few or no birds

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jerry305
Airports usually do a good job of shooing away birds on runways.
I dunno about near the gates.

Here's a hotel pool in Punta Cana.
I know this is a little odd for a destination, but it does check the boxes.

• Sun destination
• Pool
• Hopefully an active bird determent system

Not true. I've seen birds in the terminals and even in lounges at DTW, STL, and JFK (especially the lounge in the old TWA international terminal). However, they were small birds, presumably wild but pretty accustomed to people.

I'd think in terms of big cities with lots of pavement and where parks and waterfronts can be avoided. For instance, I can't recall seeing birds in Tokyo or Seoul. I'd guess Denver would be good too. Maybe Phoenix, but be sure to call the hotel in advance to check whether they have birds in their lobbies and gardens before booking a resort complex.

Many birds migrate, so you might use that fact to your advantage. Perhaps a city in Germany or Switzerland away from water in the winter. I'm picking these countries for their emphasis on cleanliness, although pet dogs in restaurants are common.

In Vegas, Mandalay Bay has/had bird cages for small songbirds in their lobby. I remember another hotel there where I saw a woman remove a big macaw from its cage in the lobby and walk around with it perched on her shoulder/arm, explaining that she had a bunch of big birds at home and know how to handle them.

I'd be concerned about penguins near the North and South Poles.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I'll second the comment regarding Asia - many densely-populated nations have almost no wild birds. A trip to Bali or one of the beach resorts on Java might be a good choice.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:43 am
Suspended

How strict is your "bird" definition? Are penguins ok?

Maybe a trip to Antarctica is in order?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not true. I've seen birds in the terminals and even in lounges at DTW, STL, and JFK (especially the lounge in the old TWA international terminal). However, they were small birds, presumably wild but pretty accustomed to people.

I'd think in terms of big cities with lots of pavement and where parks and waterfronts can be avoided. For instance, I can't recall seeing birds in Tokyo or Seoul. I'd guess Denver would be good too. Maybe Phoenix, but be sure to call the hotel in advance to check whether they have birds in their lobbies and gardens before booking a resort complex.

Many birds migrate, so you might use that fact to your advantage. Perhaps a city in Germany or Switzerland away from water in the winter. I'm picking these countries for their emphasis on cleanliness, although pet dogs in restaurants are common.

In Vegas, Mandalay Bay has/had bird cages for small songbirds in their lobby. I remember another hotel there where I saw a woman remove a big macaw from its cage in the lobby and walk around with it perched on her shoulder/arm, explaining that she had a bunch of big birds at home and know how to handle them.

I'd be concerned about penguins near the North and South Poles.
Fair enough.
And I would be concerned about penguins near the North Pole, too.
sonofzeus and Dave737 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by CPRich
Antarctica.
Need I remind you of penguins?

OP - take a cruise and stay on board in the ports (since birds frequent the water, but only near the shore)?
Or come to the USA southwest. We aren't bird-free but there aren't a ton of birds in Phoenix or Vegas.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Gig103
OP - take a cruise and stay on board in the ports (since birds frequent the water, but only near the shore)?
I took a transatlantic cruise from Europe to the US last year, we saw birds on almost every sea day during the 7 days it took to cross the Atlantic.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Honestly, I can't bring much to the table, because not being afraid of birds (at least not until they fly too close to my head) I can say I've never thought about it, or looked for birds. Must be a hard life to try and avoid them at all times, they're kinda always around.

Maybe some people who HAVE thought about this a bit harder can shoot down my ideas, but these are some hot weather places where I FEEL like I didn't see much in the way of birds...

Bangkok
Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City
Cartagena...I feel though like any sea locale will have lots of birds, but I can't remember really seeing many
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
Small dose of Xanax cures all fears beyond anything else. Well worth it, just find your dosage and only use it as prescribed.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For instance, I can't recall seeing birds in Tokyo or Seoul.
There are plenty of crows near Ueno Park and Ueno Station, although generally for Tokyo I'd agree. I can't remember if I saw any pigeons there, although there were plenty in Kyoto.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by guller
Small dose of Xanax cures all fears beyond anything else. Well worth it, just find your dosage and only use it as prescribed.
Ah, as an old friend of mine would say ... "Better living through modern chemistry."
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by jerry305
Fair enough.
And I would be concerned about penguins near the North Pole, too.
There are no penguins in the Arctic.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by celle
There are no penguins in the Arctic.
Hence the smiley...
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Bird on a plane!

Delta FLT 1943 returns to DTW "out of abundance of caution"

0.25 ounce Sparrow or Hummingbird forces 50 Ton aircraft down!*

*Weights are approximate

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-officials-say
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alangore
Urban China. Friends who have gone there have commented on the lack of any birds in Chinese cities, probably beause of pollution.
Urban China has few birds but the numbers seem to be increasing fairly rapidly now. I'm used to seeing ones and twos, our last trip I saw small flocks twice.

There are a lot of caged birds around, though, and if you're on a street with small businesses it's not unusual to see one hanging out in front of the business.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
My sister in law has a bird phobia. I used to think that I had some major fears/phobias - and I do - but we manage them in completely different ways. I simply try to avoid the thing I fear. She literally freaks out. The difference is marked.
Yeah, phobias come in different degrees. My wife categorically will not go near a mouse. She's made us go multiple blocks around to avoid passing a caged one. (Strangely, though, she loves squirrels.)

I can't think of a beach locale without a lot of birds, but perhaps an artificial beach might work better? (Like - something created indoors?) But as far as birds go, I'd think go inland in colder weather. I wish I could think of a better suggestion, but if the OP runs across one, I hope he shares.
Inland in cooler weather isn't going to be a pool place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.