Reload this Page >

Dubious hotel billing practice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubious hotel billing practice?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
One solution would be to use cash only.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Second time this has happened to me recently at two different hotels, wondering if it's the start of a bad trend or I'm just behind the times.

At check-in, charged the full amount for my expected stay on my credit card. Not just a pending hold, but a full charge.
At check-out, charged again for the full stay.

First time it happened it took me a full month to get the first charge removed and I wrote it off to bad accounting.
Second time it happened I questioned the hotel and was told this is now normal policy, that I have to wait for a credit to be issued for the original charge.

Is this a legit business practice? Just doesn't seem right to me.
Do both charges go through completely or does the original one just stay pending? If the former, sounds like a scam to me.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
It should really be like it is with gas stations in the US. Pre-pay only. Then the hotel gets their money BEFORE providing the service and if there is excessive damage to the room they have the information to get made whole again.
I can confirm that it's definitely pre-pay at Motel 6 but considering that all they really sell is the room, it's straightforward to do. However, it's a bit harder to do with more high end properties due to things like room service and being able to charge hotel purchases to the room.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:41 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by tmiw
I can confirm that it's definitely pre-pay at Motel 6 but considering that all they really sell is the room, it's straightforward to do. However, it's a bit harder to do with more high end properties due to things like room service and being able to charge hotel purchases to the room.
Same at the low-cost UK chains like Travelodge (not affiliated with US Travelodge) and optionally at Premier Inn. It suits their product well. As you say, they're not running an account for guests, but it's also a matter of efficiency. A prepaid room means all details are already on file, so check-in is a very quick formality (ID check, key handover). As a result, front desks can be single-staffed (or even have check-in automated, with staff performing multiple roles). Big cost saver for the hotels. Add-ons can be paid as and when, rather than on account (easy here with contactless payments now the norm). No checkout formalities.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by tmiw
Most full service hotels are set up to permit billing the room charge to one card and ancillary charges to another. This often occurs when the room is being master billed or the guest is required to separate lodging from other charges for expense report purposes. Also occurs where lodging is billed weekly for extended stays.

Hotels can easily process two billings per reservation if it suits their business model.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.