I prefer connecting flights to nonstop flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I prefer connecting flights to nonstop flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I did SFO-SIN non-stop in UA's Economy. Once. Never again.

My standard setup is break TPAC flights on two segments SIN-NRT-SFO is the best option with 7 and 11 hours flights.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I try to avoid any single sector over about 8 hours, even if the overall travel time is longer - i.e. I would take 7hrs + 6hrs over a single 11hr flight. Several reasons for this:

1. I travel in Y. This gets exponentially more uncomfortable after the 6th hour in the air.

2. I smoke. Enough said.

3. I find long haul flying incredibly tedious. Onboard wifi can help with this, but not much.

4. Connections can be up to 24 hours without counting as a stopover. This can often offer the chance to see a new city with very little extra expense.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
One small factor not yet mentioned: Takeoffs and landings are slightly less safe than other phases of flight, so by reducing total takeoffs and landings over your lifetime, you shave a bit of risk off.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It depends on the length of the flight and the purpose of the trip. Anything over 8 hours and I'm looking to split it into two. If going to South Africa I'd rather go through Europe with two shorter flights and a long layover than go through the U.S. with a 16 hour flight from JFK to JNB.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
This beeing FT, dont underestimate the potential benefit in some FFP, having multiple segments over the threshold of distance to max TPs. As more and more airlines turn revenue based for elite level flyers, there is still the BIS miles adding up in the EQM column. Although beeing some years ago, I have fond memories of not flying direct CPH-BKK, or even CPH-HEL-BKK, but doing CPH-LHR-MIA-LAX-NRT-BKK, using SWUs on TATL, transcon and TPAC both ways.

If all FFP go revenue based, I guess there will be less incentive for MRs
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, BA, HH
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I try to avoid any single sector over about 8 hours, even if the overall travel time is longer - i.e. I would take 7hrs + 6hrs over a single 11hr flight. Several reasons for this:

1. I travel in Y. This gets exponentially more uncomfortable after the 6th hour in the air.

2. I smoke. Enough said.

3. I find long haul flying incredibly tedious. Onboard wifi can help with this, but not much.

4. Connections can be up to 24 hours without counting as a stopover. This can often offer the chance to see a new city with very little extra expense.

I sympathize with the smoking. When I used to smoke, any long haul was miserable. I couldn't concentrate on anything after a few hours in the air, and this was after the two or more hours already spent prior to boarding at the airport. It was just brutal even with the gum and the patch.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
That's nice. I prefer a cold beer mid-journey as well. Sometimes I prefer to be home faster.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Having a stop in the middle of a long trip does make the travel more comfortable. The primary tradeoff, of course, is time. (Misconnecting risk is a factor, too, as tjl points out above.) Even an efficient stop adds 90 minutes to the journey. LAS/PHL is only about 4.5 hours nonstop.... For that length flight I'd usually prefer to fly nonstop and enjoy those 90 extra minutes not traveling rather than in the middle of it.
Sorry newbie here, what is "misconnecting".?
We planned an Easter trip fom LAX to Boston and that one has a stop at DFW...its a 2.5 hour stop...
Thanks
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
Originally Posted by lindalogan
Sorry newbie here, what is "misconnecting".?
We planned an Easter trip fom LAX to Boston and that one has a stop at DFW...its a 2.5 hour stop...
Thanks
Misconnecting would be if your LAX-DFW leg gets delayed by more than 2 hours or so, causing you miss your DFW to Boston leg.

I'll also add 2.5 hours is reasonable to be able to absorb most minor delays. The stress really comes into play if you're looking at planning on a layover of less than 1 hour and your second flight is the last one of the day on that particular route.

Last edited by mdkowals; Dec 19, 2017 at 9:59 am
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by mdkowals
I'll also add 2.5 hours is reasonable to be able to absorb most minor delays. The stress really comes into play if you're looking at planning on a layover of less than 1 hour and your second flight is the last one of the day on that particular route.
I avoid connections shorter than about 55 minutes (assuming domestic-domestic) because even if the first flight arrives on time there's little time left to relax on the ground before queuing up to board the next flight. And there's very little margin for delays. If the inbound flight is even 20 minutes late, you're left running through the terminal, and if it's 45 minute late you're likely missing the connection. So I look for connections ideally around 70 minutes. This allows time to land, deboard, eat some food without having to wolf it down, and arrive at the next gate in plenty of time for boarding. Plus a 30 minute delay doesn't make me sweat. Sure, I could book even longer connections to be even more safe against delays on the first leg causing me to miss the second, but especially when I'm voluntarily taking a connection I don't want to lengthen my overall trip by multiple hours!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:04 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
I prefer connecting if I'm going to/from Southern California and the East Coast, just so I can avoid LAX. I'd much rather have a stop in DFW, then fly to SNA or ONT than deal with Hell on Century Blvd.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
I've lived in Baton Rouge now for 10 years, and up until about last year it was home to nothing but old CRJ-200's and E-145's. As comfortable as those plane's weren't, they were also comically unreliable. Four hour delay because a sticker fell off a switch in the cockpit ... check. Complete reroute because a bag strap got caught in the baggage door ... check (with amusing visual of ground crew trying to yank the door open by jumping up and down hanging off the side of the plane and the captain and I laughing from the inside).

After a few years of that I think I've Stockholmed myself into liking longer layovers just in case.

Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA, AS
Originally Posted by OTD
I prefer connecting if I'm going to/from Southern California and the East Coast, just so I can avoid LAX. I'd much rather have a stop in DFW, then fly to SNA or ONT than deal with Hell on Century Blvd.
Exactly this. I'll take BDL-DFW-ONT over JFK-LAX any day.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:38 pm

Ten hours is about my limit on any one segment before I start getting really uncomfortable. Always try to break before then if possible. Wouldn't even consider any of the ultra long flights
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Ten hours is about my limit on any one segment before I start getting really uncomfortable. Always try to break before then if possible. Wouldn't even consider any of the ultra long flights
I did 14 hours IAH-DOH last year and it was sheer misery. Never again.
VivoPerLei likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.