Community
Wiki Posts
Search

missing out cause you're flying premium

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I've never really understood the idea of major retail shops in airports. I suppose it is something to do, but who buys stuff while flying? How do you carry it around? I could see showrooms for something you might buy later, or travel necessities, luggage for instance, or clothing. But other large items?
Luggage for sale in the airport never fully made sense to me, especially past security. I always picture someone clearing TSA with a few grocery bags full of clothes and then seeing a luggage shop thinking "Oh yeah, I could have put this stuff in a suitcase - good idea" before making the luggage purchase in the airport. I forgotten things while flying before, but forgetting the actual luggage (while remembering to bring the contents of the luggage) is just not one of them!

Now, say you didn't forget your luggage and just bought new luggage at the airport. Do you re-pack right then and there? Check the new luggage empty? If you repack and want to discard the old luggage, do you leave the old luggage laying around the airport until the bomb squad finds it? - You can't stuff it into one of those trash cans with the 8" opening.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by mdkowals
Luggage for sale in the airport never fully made sense to me, especially past security. I always picture someone clearing TSA with a few grocery bags full of clothes and then seeing a luggage shop thinking "Oh yeah, I could have put this stuff in a suitcase - good idea" before making the luggage purchase in the airport. I forgotten things while flying before, but forgetting the actual luggage (while remembering to bring the contents of the luggage) is just not one of them!

Now, say you didn't forget your luggage and just bought new luggage at the airport. Do you re-pack right then and there? Check the new luggage empty? If you repack and want to discard the old luggage, do you leave the old luggage laying around the airport until the bomb squad finds it? - You can't stuff it into one of those trash cans with the 8" opening.
Personally, I have had to do this when my bag broke, which I think would probably make up most of the sales. Maybe frequent travelers as well. But yes, find quiet corner in an unused gate and split some of your stuff up, then check the second bag at the gate. If it is completely no good then the luggage store would likely take the old one back if they made a nice sale.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
And on flights, even though the big seat upfront is nice, you miss out on interesting passengers (seated in economy last time on a domestic US flight I encountered a strange experience with a lady asking to plug her headphones into my laptop. Something that I could never imagine would happen upfront), the view outside (first in some airlines blocks out your windows), edutainment (Berlitz anyone?) which is like a blast from the past.
Speaking of interesting passengers: on a flight a while back I'd just gotten settled into my window seat and gotten a glass of water to take a pill when the woman in the aisle seat asked if I had some medication she could take to calm her nerves. I guess she saw the prescription bottle and thought she'd ask? Anyway, the bottle was just for my blood pressure meds and I told her that.

I was sympathetic as I had an ex- who always took anxiety meds for flights. Nonetheless I wouldn't feel comfortable handing medication to a stranger.

But yeah, Changi is a great airport. One of my Singaporean friends told me that local students even go there at exam time to study. There's a piece in the Straits Times which lists it as one of its six suggestions for study spaces.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by mdkowals

There was a nice pen store at PIT and I collect pens and purchased a number of them there.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many airlines block the windows on the 787 so you can't see outside for most of the flight. This happens in economy and business so I guess it doesn't matter what class you are in in that case. As far as airports, even in airports with the best lounges I prefer to walk around a bit and check out the planes/people before hitting the lounge. I generally find I have more interesting conversations with seatmates flying up front, rather than in the back although that is changing as more airlines go to single bed seats upfront.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

There was a nice pen store at PIT and I collect pens and purchased a number of them there.
This post makes complete sense in the context of the post you quoted.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:04 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I fly out of JFK T8 (AA) a lot---there is nothing of interest pre or post TSA.
ZRH (Zurich) has lots of things pre security [shops, a supermarket, flight observation deck], except for duty free, not much after security.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:31 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by pewpew
Same with the girls, unfortunately
+1000
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by kb9522

This post makes complete sense in the context of the post you quoted.
Let me spell it out for you.

Luggage Big. Hard to deal with when you get it at the airport.

Pens small. Easy to deal with at airport.

Other than that do you have a problem with my post?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

Let me spell it out for you.

Luggage Big. Hard to deal with when you get it at the airport.

Pens small. Easy to deal with at airport.

Other than that do you have a problem with my post?
The post you quoted was about buying luggage at the airport and the logistics of doing so. What does your affinity for pens have to do with this topic? That’s all I was asking.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by kb9522
The post you quoted was about buying luggage at the airport and the logistics of doing so. What does your affinity for pens have to do with this topic? That’s all I was asking.
The context in the few articles before that was, "Who buys anything at shops in airports?" mdkowals wrote about how selling luggage seemed especially odd, GadgetFreak wrote about how a high-end pen shop caught his interest.

My $.02 is that airport shops are occasionally nice for a bit of window-shopping when I'm bored but I can only barely imagine myself buying anything bigger than a snack or small souvenir. Airport prices are so inflated. I figure anything I don't need in transit I can get much cheaper elsewhere.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when premium includes pajamas sometimes you get passengers changing into them at their seat
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:58 pm

I love to chat with folks in the lounge. Some of my favorite conversations have been at the lounge bar. At one lounge the airport was experiencing massive delays, so every time I received an automated call I said it was my girlfriend and everyone around me was howling in laughter. It is people that are interesting, not the lounge furniture.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The context in the few articles before that was, "Who buys anything at shops in airports?" mdkowals wrote about how selling luggage seemed especially odd, GadgetFreak wrote about how a high-end pen shop caught his interest.

My $.02 is that airport shops are occasionally nice for a bit of window-shopping when I'm bored but I can only barely imagine myself buying anything bigger than a snack or small souvenir. Airport prices are so inflated. I figure anything I don't need in transit I can get much cheaper elsewhere.
Thanks, I thought it was pretty clear but maybe your explanation helped. In terms of prices, PIT said they guaranteed that the prices in the airport stores weren’t any higher than non-airport stores for the same item. I never specifically checked an item but they seemed like reasonable prices. In general though, airport prices do seem quite inflated.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by CAWineNerd
I love to chat with folks in the lounge. Some of my favorite conversations have been at the lounge bar.
I agree. I've met some fascinating people in the lounges and had some very enjoyable conversations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.