Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Empty Seat Etiquette - Who is the [jerk]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

I recently had a long international flight sitting in a center row aisle seat. The cabin config was 3-4-3. I had one side of the row of 4, someone else occupied the other aisle seat, and we had 2 empty seats between us. As soon as the flight took off, the other guy put on his headphones and laid down across 3 seats, with his head on the seat directly next to me. I waited until we reached cruising altitude, then asked that he move over so that I could use one of the 2 empty seats as well. He either did not hear me or pretended to be asleep. I then pried back one of his headphones and again asked for him to move over. He glared at me then moved to occupy only 2 of the seats, giving me the other empty seat. Who is the <redacted by moderator> here?
DutchessPDX and ATOBTTR like this.

Last edited by JY1024; Nov 27, 2017 at 9:31 pm Reason: edit by moderator
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
The other guy. But he did eventually move after you asked him so it could've been worse.
DutchessPDX, Zeeb and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: Delta, United
He should be glad you did not lift a butt check and fart :-)

That said I would probably not have lifted their headphones but tapped them on the shoulder until I got their attention.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
As soon as the door closed I would have spread over into the adjacent seat to preclude someone from occupying three seats. Then I would have discussed with him the possibility of us each occupying three seats in shifts.
8MiHi, kaliimc, wxman22 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rbwpi
As soon as the door closed I would have spread over into the adjacent seat to preclude someone from occupying three seats.
This.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by spendlesslivebetter
I recently had a long international flight sitting in a center row aisle seat. The cabin config was 3-4-3. I had one side of the row of 4, someone else occupied the other aisle seat, and we had 2 empty seats between us. As soon as the flight took off, the other guy put on his headphones and laid down across 3 seats, with his head on the seat directly next to me. I waited until we reached cruising altitude, then asked that he move over so that I could use one of the 2 empty seats as well. He either did not hear me or pretended to be asleep. I then pried back one of his headphones and again asked for him to move over. He glared at me then moved to occupy only 2 of the seats, giving me the other empty seat. Who is the <redacted by moderator> here?
He is. It's an airplane, not a jungle gym. You would have done well to "accidentally" spill your wine during some "turbulence."
kaka likes this.

Last edited by JY1024; Nov 27, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: none
I think I saw this same situation on TV where Bart and Lisa were arguing about space in the back seat of Homer's car when they were going on a trip somewhere. It took an adult (Marge) to settle it.

Deal with it.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: *G
* when boarding is completed and door is shut, those 2 seats are free-for-all. you could have placed a clothing or personal item on that seat to preclaim it as yours.

* it is unpolite for the other passenger to bogart BOTH free seats, but it is not quite 'jerk' status. you snooze - lose.

* it is more unpolite for you to peel back someone's headphones. that's a tactless move.

* same goes for the passive-aggressive suggestion below...

Originally Posted by kb9522
He is. It's an airplane, not a jungle gym. You would have done well to "accidentally" spill your wine during some "turbulence."
that he acknowledged your wanting of the seat and (even if begrudgingly) agreed to split them... means you shouldnt really stay soured over the situation.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:44 am
Suspended

Neither of you were entitled to the seats you did not buy, so it comes down to the stronger willed one. At first it appeared to be him for just spreading out, but then it turned out to be you for saying something about it.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:56 am
Suspended

I agree a tap on the shoulder would be more appropriate. I agree neither is entitled to anything. Beyond that, the term 'etiquette' probably doesn't really exist in reality when it comes to airline travel these days. The entire system is set up to pit passenger against passenger. So maybe the mistake is in thinking there is an appropriate etiquette that should be followed.

Next time, book a seat in a row of 3. Now who gets the empty middle seat if there is one? What's the proper etiquitte for that?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:17 am

As soon as the door closed I would have spread over into the adjacent seat to preclude someone from occupying three seats. Then I would have discussed with him the possibility of us each occupying three seats in shifts.
+1

Taking turns to lay down presents far greater comfort to both party on a longhual international flight in coach.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by spendlesslivebetter
the "jerk" was the person who invaded his personal space and removed the headphone, touching his possessions without permission.
smc333 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:51 am

I agree

I agree with the post.....as soon as the door closed however I would no have moved

on another note... the complete opposite. Why do I have to sit next to fat people tha invade my seat?

i am on a flight now and again the invasion of the flesh has started
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by Sticky1

on another note... the complete opposite. Why do I have to sit next to fat people tha invade my seat?
i am on a flight now and again the invasion of the flesh has started
As has the invasion of the recurring complaint about fat people into a thread that was not about that particular issue.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
LOL, I don't even wait that long. We've got the seat map on our phones now, so you know if it's supposed to be empty or not. If it looks like I've got an empty row I toss stuff on the empties to discourage any poachers long before boarding ends. If someone happens to get assigned the seat at the gate then I'll gladly move my stuff. I've been seeing a lot of light loads on transpac flights lately, snagging an empty row is getting much easier than it used to be. Makes traveling on those God forsaken non-GPU-able K fares a lot more palatable.
wxman22 and B747-437B like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.