Wiki Posts
Search

Travel plans on social media is a great help to thieves

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The idea that social media posting of trips is widely responsible for home robberies doesn't compute. Thieves would have to cast a wide net across social media, filter it for people within their geographical area, and be able to accurately connect accounts to real-world addresses. This is beyond the sophistication of most petty thieves. And even for the sophisticated ones it's arguably a steeper effort/payoff ratio than more traditional, opportunistic approaches to theft.
Unless a person is wealthy and high profile (e.g. movie star, sports figure, etc.) or has an over-inflated sense of their own importance the risks presented by posting your plans on social media are insignificant. Updating people on your travels is hardly inviting a local thief to throw a party at your house.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

I think you’re on the right track, but I suggest there’s more to each sentence:

Too many people today are willing captives of our technology.

Too many people think they can (or worse, should) only make a point in regards to any subject using just 140(now 280) characters on Twitter ... liking/repeating/retweeting an ill-considered or ill-informed opinion (to say nothing of an outright lie) a dozen or a hundred times doesn’t change its essence ... we have more than a problem ... these are (or certainly should be) serious concerns.
I have no argument with any of that jrl767. One of the things I find scary is that smartphones are now actually affecting person-to-person conversation in a negative way. People are spending less time actually talking to other people. https://www.google.ca/search?q=peopl...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The 'phone' aspect of the device called a 'smartphone' is getting less and less actual use as a phone!

While I can agree with you that more and more people are 'captives' of our technology, I might question the 'willing' part of your statement. To be willing, implies some knowledge of what is happening to you. I'm not so sure how many people actually know what is happening to them and 'willingly' accept it. I'd say many who are accepting it are ignorant of what is happening.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The idea that social media posting of trips is widely responsible for home robberies doesn't compute. Thieves would have to cast a wide net across social media, filter it for people within their geographical area, and be able to accurately connect accounts to real-world addresses. This is beyond the sophistication of most petty thieves. And even for the sophisticated ones it's arguably a steeper effort/payoff ratio than more traditional, opportunistic approaches to theft. Most thieves choose a target area near home and roam it looking for obvious signs of a good opportunity. Things like newspapers piling up, mail overflowing the mailbox, packages left at the front door for more than a day, car(s) not moved for several days, and grass uncut in the growing season are classic signs that the occupants are away. These are much easier to associate with a specific house being unattended than reading online somewhere that "Barbara Smith just landed in Aruba, woo-hoo!"
[deleted]

All you are doing is arguing the probability of it happening. You are not arguing that it doesn't happen or that you couldn't avoid it happening by not posting your plans.
In other words, are you telling us that you take absolutely no steps whatsoever to reduce your risk of a burglary when you go on vacation?
[deleted]

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Dec 10, 2017 at 12:13 pm Reason: Enough already! Posting should be friendly and welcoming.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Unless a person is wealthy and high profile (e.g. movie star, sports figure, etc.) or has an over-inflated sense of their own importance the risks presented by posting your plans on social media are insignificant. Updating people on your travels is hardly inviting a local thief to throw a party at your house.
I agree, and your point came up in the offline discussions I had with friends about this issue. Social media is credible way for would-be thieves to monitor your whereabouts after they've already personally targeted you. Clearly this can happen for celebrities, as is seen already with paparazzi, obsessive fans, and stalkers. The ordinary middle- or upper-middle class person posting vacation pics on Facebook is unlikely to attract such individualized attention.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.