Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Travel plans on social media is a great help to thieves

Travel plans on social media is a great help to thieves

Old Nov 25, 17, 9:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Red face Travel plans on social media is a great help to thieves

As an older traveller who grew up before the advent of 'social media', I am amazed at how many people announce and track (enroute updates) their travels for all to see.

I bring this up as my next door neighbour recently had their house broken into and items stolen while they were on vacation. This is in a small town with relatively little crime. But that also means that most people are known to most other people and announcing you are going on vacation, for how long, etc. and updating a social media page as to your progress is kinda like inviting a local thief to throw a party at your house.

Social media has its good points but it can also have its bad points. Maybe food for thought for some younger travellers who use social media to share everything they do.
Old Nov 25, 17, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I tell my kids the same thing...
Old Nov 25, 17, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis View Post
As an older traveller who grew up before the advent of 'social media', I am amazed at how many people announce and track (enroute updates) their travels for all to see.

I bring this up as my next door neighbour recently had their house broken into and items stolen while they were on vacation. This is in a small town with relatively little crime. But that also means that most people are known to most other people and announcing you are going on vacation, for how long, etc. and updating a social media page as to your progress is kinda like inviting a local thief to throw a party at your house.

Social media has its good points but it can also have its bad points. Maybe food for thought for some younger travellers who use social media to share everything they do.

Oh, did you watch the episode of NCIS a few days ago?
Old Nov 25, 17, 10:21 am

We have friends on Facebook who post about their trips (while they're on them) all the time. I went to post when we were away a few years ago and our then teenager said "why would you let people know the house is empty". Suffice to say, if we post it is AFTER the trip.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Nov 25, 17, 11:17 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

We always post after the trip, but that doesn't mean we're home guarding the house 24/7. Lots of people think we are on the trip when the photos come through. We might be home, but not in the house, since we'd be going about our life. It's hard to protect yourself against wrongdoing, because nothing seems effective against a dedicated crook. I hate thieves.
IWontRegretThis likes this.
Old Nov 25, 17, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Just change your Facebook privacy settings accordingly. I don't bother with Twitter, Instagram or anything else so don't know how those work.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 25, 17, 5:30 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Just change your Facebook privacy settings accordingly. I don't bother with Twitter, Instagram or anything else so don't know how those work.
Nothing on my Facebook is public and I only have people as FB friends who I actually know in real life. So unless a friend or family member is in cahoots with a ring of thieves, there isn't any harm in posting to FB while traveling. My IG is public but there's nothing on it with my name, pic, home town, or anything else and I don't geotag anything with local area pics (or really take any at home anyway), so good luck figuring out my address from IG. My Twitter is public but I just use it for contests and to follow some news and corporate accounts so I'm not sure about its privacy settings.

For me it's more likely that my home would be targeted randomly by thieves who think it looks unoccupied in person, though I of course do what I can to minimize the house being a target of opportunity while we're gone.
Zeeb, ajGoes and smc333 like this.
Old Nov 25, 17, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Personally I find posting on social media about traveling is less risky than stopping your mail, holding your newspaper delivery (or not doing so can also indicate you're away) and leaving lights on while gone that do not change staying on 24/7.

Social media posts, when configured correctly, should only be visible to those that know the person posting which is less than using other services where people outside of a local office can access who is on the "hold" services lists.
Zeeb likes this.
Old Nov 25, 17, 7:24 pm

I have privacy settings on, but even so you could google my name all day long and get nothing more than a famous footballer.

Besides, I get someone to house sit.
Old Nov 25, 17, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
Social media posts, when configured correctly, should only be visible to those that know the person posting
That is an option, of course, but hardly the only "correct" way to use social media platforms.

It is far less likely that a random stranger knows where I live than whether I am home or not.
Old Nov 25, 17, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Has there ever been a single documented case of a burglar breaking in because he knew the resident was out of town thanks to social media, as opposed to much less sexy indicators?

My apartment complex loves to pin notices to everyone's door. Makes it bleeding obvious when someone's not home for a while.

Most recently they set one out reminding residents that this is a non-smoking property. They put them out on the day before Thanksgiving, so if you walked around the next day or two it was very clear who was out of town.
Old Nov 25, 17, 9:55 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by txflyer77 View Post
Has there ever been a single documented case of a burglar breaking in because he knew the resident was out of town thanks to social media, as opposed to much less sexy indicators?

My apartment complex loves to pin notices to everyone's door. Makes it bleeding obvious when someone's not home for a while.

Most recently they set one out reminding residents that this is a non-smoking property. They put them out on the day before Thanksgiving, so if you walked around the next day or two it was very clear who was out of town.
Musician colleague of mine had his house cleared out while on tour last year. Thieves came three times, drove off with the last of the stuff in his car on their last ívisití.
Old Nov 25, 17, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by gr8pirate View Post
Musician colleague of mine had his house cleared out while on tour last year. Thieves came three times, drove off with the last of the stuff in his car on their last ’visit’.
Was it due to social media, or all the other media attention that a touring music group would get?

Hardly comparable.

(Or was it from any number of other potential signs that nobody was home?)
Old Nov 26, 17, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis View Post
...for all to see....
Only if you have a public profile. If you have your facebook set to friends only, the chances of someone breaking in are lower, and if it happens, you can narrow it down.
Old Nov 26, 17, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by nmh1204 View Post
Only if you have a public profile. If you have your facebook set to friends only, the chances of someone breaking in are lower, and if it happens, you can narrow it down.
Assuming you can prove that the thieves used Facebook to determine you're away from home rather than the many, many, many other clues that typically are evident.
ajGoes likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: