Countries where you've driven a rental car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Countries where you've driven a rental car

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Exec
Wildest place: Kyrgyzstan - from Bishkek to Song Kul (remote lake up in the mountains) then round Issyk Kul - much larger lake close'ish to Chinese border. Driven my own car in Syria - drove there through Eastern Europe and Turkey back in 2008, great trip. Slightly less wild would be Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Kenya, Mexico, Japan, Bali, Latvia, Estonia, then the not-wild-at-all, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, other bits of Europe. Oh - and Cuba, that was wild, more because of the vehicle than anything else!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
...A special shout out to Egyptians (just taxi drivers?) who I found sometimes drive without headlights. As if it will save the battery or something!...
Had this experience in Cairo, too. My taxi didn't even have dash board lights and this was the one screened by the hotel bellhop!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
First and last left-side rental was Australia. Pretty surprising when the windshield wipers come on and you think you pushed the turn signal stick. My wife constantly got in on the right side thinking it was the passenger door, but quickly escaped when asked if she was driving.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:23 am

Australia (home)
New Zealand
USA
Canada
Puerto Rico
Fiji
Samoa
Nuie (wonderful place - want to visit again)

Not many, really. Quite sad.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: BA GfL
USA (home)
Canada
Bulgaria
England
Scotland
Ireland
Wales
Australia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Slovenia
France
Hungary
Jersey
Kazakhstan (driven, not rented)
Russia (driven, not rented)
Namibia
Oman
Panama
South Africa
Spain
UAE
Yemen (driven, not rented)

By far the hairiest driving was in Costa Rica, due to the fact that I was driving through torrential rain in a tropical storm, at night, on a highway with potholes so big you could have fit a rowboat into them. Worst traffic: Moscow. Most pleasantly surprising: Namibia.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: SK EBG *G
Sweden (home)
Denmark
Norway
Finland
Iceland
Faroe Islands
Latvia
United Kingdom (L)
France
Spain
Portugal
Greece
United States
Canada
Australia (L)
New Zealand (L)
Brazil

In New Zealand, me and my friends rented a campervan and were driving around. Just as @rxgeek notes, the windshield wipers came on more often than expected. We all had a good laugh each time and even counted how many times each of us made the mistake

Craziest driving: Brazil and Crete (Greece)
Loved the one-lane tunnels on the Faroe Islands, often described by the locals as chicken race!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:41 am

US
UK (England, Wales, & Scotland)
Ireland
Australia
Belgium

really not difficult adapting to left hand driving.....biggest problem I have in the UK is the width of the roads......one lane wide with two way traffic and parking on both sides....lol.......Wales can be tricky especially the back roads and coming out of Beddgelert in Snowdonia......very narrow tight winding steep road with lorries and buses coming at you and no where to go.....you learn very quickly to fold the mirrors in.....lol
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
USA
Mexico
Canada
UK
Ireland
France
Germany
Italy
Austria
Slovenia
Croatia

I'm mildly amused whenever an airline sends me rental car offers associated with trips to places like Lima, Cairo, or various cities in India. Places where it would be INSANE for a foreigner to attempt to drive, or places where it's simply not permitted to begin with.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:25 am

Surprised no one has mentioned China.

My list is:
Canada
England
France (all over)
Germany (lived there)
Switzerland
Italy
Spain
Netherlands
Belgium
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Denmark
Sweden
Austria
Hungary
Slovakia
South Africa

First time left side of the road was England about 10 years ago. Reserved a small automatic. Rental company "upgraded" me to a minivan. No way. Then they said they had an Audi diesel with a stick - the only thing smaller. Took it and had spouse chanting "stay left". Shifting with my left hand led to a few gear grinds, but wasn't bad at all. Overall I got used to the differences within a few miles. After a few more trips, it's pretty automatic when I switch sides.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For me, four wheels only, automatic only, and almost always with AC:

USA
Canada
England
Portugal
Spain
Andorra
France
Monaco
Italy
San Remo
Switzerland
Germany (West, East, and Reunified)
Belgium (Dutch and French speaking areas, plus Brussels)
Holland
England (only--never Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or Ireland)
Liechtenstein
Norway
Denmark
Sweden
Greece (Rhodes only)

My only experience with driving on the wrong side of the road was in England, several times, but never in London.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: Emirates, Turkish, OmanAir, Lufthansa, United
Smile My List

Spain
Switzerland
Austria
Germany
Czech Republic
Kuwait
Oman
Malta
Isle of Man
Ireland
Greece
Turkey
USA
UK

Worst experience: Turned in a rental at Hertz Frankfurt Airport, realized a box of red wine was still in the trunk. Hurried to counter to alert them and were promptly told "nothing was found" as we heard employees clinking glasses in office behind the desk. Never again Hertz since then. Shameful.

Slowest service: Econocar, Kuwait International Airport. Generally, all Middle Eastern car rental agencies operate at the speed of molasses in January, "club" member or not.

Worst rental car: Spain - after our initial vehicle, Seat Ibiza, gave out on drive from Barcelona along the coast, we got a Skoda Fabia with an anemic 1.0-liter 3-cylinder engine in it. While comfortable enough, the slightest hill meant patience, patience, patience.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Australia (including Tasmania), New Zealand, Italy, San Marino, France, Monaco, Andorra, England
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Right side

US
Canada
Mexico
Belize
Costa Rica
Panama
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Venezuela
Peru
Chile
Argentina
Brazil
Morocco
Spain
Greece
France

Left side

UK
Jamaica
Australia
NZ
South Africa
Namibia
Kenya
Japan
Thailand
Malaysia

Right side in left side car (Micronesia runs on used Japanese cars)
Federated States of Micronesia
Palau
Northern Marianas
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:23 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
USA
Canada
England
Ireland
Greece
France
Belgium
Luxembourg
Germany

When I was driving in Ireland, I told my wife and son they had carte blanche to yell LEFT!!! if I was driving on the wrong side. It happened only twice; once in the rental car lot at DUB, once coming out of a roundabout in rural County Cork.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:18 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
UK, Australia and New Zealand.

I don't like going to places without public transport and I dislike taking taxis.

The only other countries I ever intend to rent a car in are Iceland, Canada and Oman, because there are specific places I want to go which won't ever be served by public transport, and by the time self-driving cars are around I might be too old to enjoy the trip...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.