Wiki Posts
Search

Get people to be cleaner in lavatory

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Get people to be cleaner in lavatory

Hey everyone,

First I would like to thank everyone that replied to my first thread and took the survey.

I'd like to follow up by asking what everyone thinks would make people to be cleaner in the lavatory? What would make people feel obliged not to make a mess? Is it about better design or changing peoples behaviour?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As people, particularly in the USA, become more selfish, so they don't bother cleaning up after themselves. Societal change is what is required, nothing less.
stormlover and rbwpi like this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:51 am

ignorant and selfish behaviour is what drives it. Or many are leaving it as close as they found it. Self-cleaning toilets would be better but that would put excessive demand on the limited water supply on longhaul flights.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by David Randles
Is it about better design or changing peoples behaviour?
The former can drive the latter.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:01 pm

Problem is many people are not clean at home, other people clean up after them or they just do not care.

No way to make pigs behave better in shared spaces.

Unless the lav was reviewed after each visitor, and the score placed on the IFE screens for all to see. "Passenger in 12b 10/10. Passenger in 2c 2/10", nothing will ever make people change.
emrdoc, KDS777 and PAX_fips like this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Problem is many people are not clean at home, other people clean up after them or they just do not care.

No way to make pigs behave better in shared spaces.

Unless the lav was reviewed after each visitor, and the score placed on the IFE screens for all to see. "Passenger in 12b 10/10. Passenger in 2c 2/10", nothing will ever make people change.
I like that idea! ^
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Haha, toilet cops, love it
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA
One reason we no longer fly Economy: fewer people to share lavs with. Really. Disgusting. Singapore seemed to actually clean up during the flight from PEK to Singapore. Amazing. RReason to use them instead of United for OW. Grumpy UA FAs too important to tidy.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:36 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
The trash bins in airplane lavs are often misused and people don't push their used paper towels all the way into them as they have strong spring loaded lids. This is likely because people don't want to touch the lids.
smc333 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Installing video surveillance in the lavs would do the trick, but there'd probably be some pushback.

The following could work:

1. Lavs locked by default when unoccupied.
2. Scan BP to unlock/enter unoccupied lav.
3. Camera mounted inside lav takes a single pic of empty lav prior to allowing admittance.
4. When pax departs the lav, camera takes another single pic of the newly-empty lav (post usage).
5. FAs review footage when there's a bad lav situation and fine guilty pax for being gross OR just name and shame them over the PA.

Realistically, though, some people are just gross pigs and I wouldn't expect them to change.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:40 pm

It is unfortunate that some are pigs. It is also unfortunate that the person who started this thread decided to make stereotypical judgements against a certain nationality. I wonder if he spends his time in flight, monitoring and rating the lav and nationality of each user. Otherwise, I'm not sure how he is qualified to make his statements.

In terms of piggish people. Some individuals really don't have any idea of how inappropriate their behavior was. I stood waiting for the person using the lav ( business) to exit. She did and I looked in to find the person had left toilet paper all over the floor and the seat. I walked out and approached a FA saying it needed to be cleaned since it was disgusting. The pig, heard my conversation and commented, "I just used it and it wasn't left disgusting." I invited her to go back and look--she declined to do so and the FA went in and played personal maid!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by awayIgo
It is unfortunate that some are pigs. It is also unfortunate that the person who started this thread decided to make stereotypical judgements against a certain nationality.
Did I miss this? I reread his post multiple times looking for the judgements you mention. I cannot see anything.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:23 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Did I miss this? I reread his post multiple times looking for the judgements you mention. I cannot see anything.
Can't see it either.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
my biggest complaint is pee on the floor, likely from men who pee while standing. I get it; standing to pee while sometimes having to hold the toilet seat up with the other hand and while trying to brace yourself into a tiny space during turbulence is not optimal. And I'm sure plenty of men don't lift the seat, which leaves more pee on the seat. Basically, we men are the problem. Can we just get a lav with a urinal and a sink ? Leave the toilets for the ladies.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I looked too. I think the reference is to post #2 . The comment about Americans becoming more self-centered. As an American, I'll only contest that "becoming" part. Americans have always been less than enthusiastic about the social contract. Probably a side-effect of the pioneer cultural meme.
farci and stormlover like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.