Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Benefits of Missing Window on Plane

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Benefits of Missing Window on Plane

I have often found that the "missing window" makes it easier to watch the IFE or work on your laptop and sleep. While some may think the missing window is an inconvenience I find it to be beneficial on a day or night flight.Especially since these windows are usually over the wing and you can't see much. You can always go to an Emergency Exit window and look out.

What is your opinion on this? Do some think like me and see the missing window as an advantage?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If the window is truly missing, then you don't have to fuss with your air vent.

ajGoes and gfunkdave like this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

Or the window shade(:
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976

But I would strongly recommend keeping your seat belt fastened.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by danielonn
I have often found that the "missing window" makes it easier to watch the IFE or work on your laptop and sleep. While some may think the missing window is an inconvenience I find it to be beneficial on a day or night flight.Especially since these windows are usually over the wing and you can't see much. You can always go to an Emergency Exit window and look out.

What is your opinion on this? Do some think like me and see the missing window as an advantage?
While I can understand that some people will like to sit in a row with no windows, it's not for me, being able to see outside is always priority no.1 when I'm choosing a seat.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by chris19992
... being able to see outside is always priority no.1 when I'm choosing a seat.
non-window window seats are the bane of folks who make a point of booking window seats for the ability to see out the window

I would have been REALLY irritated had I been in that sort of seat last year, as I would have probably missed most of this 2+ hour show
altabello and kingstontoon like this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
This is probably similar to the window shade up/down debate threads.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:42 pm

I actually prefer not having a window so to me it isn't a big deal, but I understand for those who MUST have a view while they fly and getting unlucky by choosing that seat ahead of time thinking it has a window.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Those who don't want/need a window, but have one, can always raise the shade. Those who really want a window but don't have one don't have a corresponding option. So putting in windows seems to be a better default.

Am I missing something where pulling up a shade on a window makes IFE viewing, laptop work, sleep, etc., more difficult than not having a window?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by CPRich
Those who don't want/need a window, but have one, can always raise the shade. Those who really want a window but don't have one don't have a corresponding option. So putting in windows seems to be a better default.
on many jets, at least one large ECS (Environmental Control System, aka air conditioning) riser duct is routed floor-to-ceiling on each side of the cabin (think 737-700/800/900 just forward of the wing); "putting in a window" at those points is physically impossible

I fly enough to where I know to avoid those couple rows of "window" seats if at all possible
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I use the space for my wide shoulders. Missing window makes it very uncomfortable for me due to curvature of the fuselage, specially on narrowbodies....
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Seat Guru usually shows you pretty accurately which rows are missing windows. But, if you forget to check it can be pretty annoying to expect a window seat and get the wonderful view of the wall. I like looking out the windows and always try to book them on short haul flights. Delta really fails on their CR9s with the misaligned windows
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The missing window isn't a benefit for watching IFE or sleeping if you're sitting in the window seat, because then you control the shade! I can see how sitting in that row is a benefit, though, if you're an aisle seat person and hate bright-light distraction.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I would rather sit in a middle seat with a window 1.5 feet away from me than to sit in a "window" seat with no window.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by danielonn
Do some think like me and see the missing window as an advantage?
No.

I can always close a window shade if I want to. But I cannot open a hole in the wall to create a window that otherwise doesn't exist. Reducing personal choice/options and calling it a good thing is stupid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.