Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How many consecutive nights in a different hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many consecutive nights in a different hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:20 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Does it have to be hotels or do ferries/trains count?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Backpacking Europe, we had a string of about 2 weeks where we didn't sleep in the same place twice. Mix of hostels, cheap pensiones, and overnight trains/ferries. Then we stopped in the middle for 3 nights in Corfu...then 2 more weeks of moving every day.

We were 21 years old so it didn't seem exhausting. No way in hell I could do that today, even if we were talking Marriotts and Hiltons the whole way.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
Does it have to be hotels or do ferries/trains count?
Did you have a long string of them? In my case, it's fly to city, stay overnight, go to customer sites in the morning, drive or fly to next city, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when 1 night on plane (like train/ferry) might also be included

when driving, could have luggage setup in car, not full unpack/pack each night

when returning to same places, decent hotels might store some luggage

would imagine it gets rough, even if upscale hotels

for business travelers flying J/F and spending a lot of time in airports (each day) might consider paid VIP services at commercial airports, to cut down on some of that time
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
summer of 1989 ... not as many as some ...
28 Jul - in-laws' vacation house, Camano Island WA
29 Jul - mom's house, Temple Hills MD
30 Jul - friends' house, West Chester OH
31 Jul - VOQ, Wright-Patterson AFB OH
1 Aug - hotel, LAX area
2 -3 Aug - VOQ, Edwards AFB CA
4 Aug - in transit LAX-BWI (the last Piedmont flight)
5 Aug - mom's house
6 Aug - VOQ, Wright-Patt
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Did you have a long string of them? In my case, it's fly to city, stay overnight, go to customer sites in the morning, drive or fly to next city, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc
Longest string would be about 20 nights of alternating ferry/train/accommodation on a UK-Antwerp-Amsterdam-Berlin-Warsaw-Krakow-Prague-Budapest-Vienna-Venice-Florence-Rome-Geneva-Paris-UK trip. I was 17, and the train accommodation was just seated.

More recently, I used to use creative ways to go on business trips, because, well, I'm just like that. You'd often find that somewhere like Copenhagen would get booked out last minute, so rather than stay at some awful middle-of-nowhere hotel, I'd do something like fly to Berlin, have an evening out there, get the sleeper train to Copenhagen (sadly no more), spend the next two nights in different hotels in Vesterbro, then catch the overnight ferry from Malmo to Travemunde (classy - it has "no shooting up" signs in the cabins), watching us go under the Oresund Bridge, have a wander round the Lubeck Christmas Market, stock up on marzipan, and fly home from Hamburg.

An average holiday will see me stay in about 4-5 different places. This year was different, though, as we now have a baby! So it was just 3.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
5 nights in the same city over three different properties.

The joy of chasing top tier and promotional bonuses.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by tentseller
5 nights in the same city over three different properties.

The joy of chasing top tier and promotional bonuses.
yep; I did exactly the same thing this past January
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
More recently, I used to use creative ways to go on business trips, because, well, I'm just like that. You'd often find that somewhere like Copenhagen would get booked out last minute, so rather than stay at some awful middle-of-nowhere hotel, I'd do something like fly to Berlin, have an evening out there, get the sleeper train to Copenhagen (sadly no more),
Was that the train that rolled right up onto the ferry? I only did it once about 27 years ago, but I remember being super impressed by the experience.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Was that the train that rolled right up onto the ferry? I only did it once about 27 years ago, but I remember being super impressed by the experience.
Nope, it took a very roundabout route via Hamburg and Flensburg. Woke up crossing the Great Belt, which was pretty impressive in its own right. It was one of those trains that had carriages from everywhere going to everywhere - my carriage was Czech.

The direct Copenhagen - Hamburg train still goes on the ferry - and it's an ICE train too! There used to be a sleeper to/from Malmo that did the same via Trelleborg, which promises to wind up every year, but somehow keeps going...
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I once spent 2 nights without sleeping in a bed.

Night 1: red eye flight (not in F or J class)
Night 2: short red eye flight (Spain to UK)
Next day: UK to US and then a domestic connecting flight

ugh
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Most I've done recently was four in four nights. Hanover, Osnabruck, Kassel, Munich last year.

This year, Gatwick ( hotel in terminal), Munich, Kavalla, Athens. I reached my 10,000 steps the first day, just in airport terminals.

I hate moving hotel every day, but if I have to, I pack in sequence so I don't have to unpack completely.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by mandolino
I hate moving hotel every day, but if I have to, I pack in sequence so I don't have to unpack completely.
YES! Careful packing is essential when traveling to a different hotel each night. Otherwise the pack-unpack process becomes a ridiculous ordeal. I pack my bag methodically. It takes a tad more time before leaving home, but when I arrive I can fish out the few items I need without having to dump the whole bag out, and when it's time to leave I can repack in 1-2 minutes just as neatly to be ready for the next destination. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
My record is 3 changes in 3 days in Madison, Wisconsin.

Don't ever stay in a Microtel.

I travelled for business for 5 years and spent 120 nights a year in hotels.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
I once spent 2 nights without sleeping in a bed.
Think my record for this is 5 nights - spur of the moment holiday with two friends when I was younger.

Night on the floor of a ferry (you never had to splash out for a cabin in those days, and could get away with paying for the £1 day trip offers and 10Fr in reverse if you could speak reasonable French and ditching the return half) in both directions, plus two nights bivvying in the woods and one night sleeping in the car (that was cramped). Loved being able to just do that.

If you count indoors, I could probably stretch to a week on the floor in a sleeping bag. Longer if you include on sofas.

Ah, to be young again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.