Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra Pitch of 34 Too Cramped for 6'6'' passenger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Main Cabin Extra Pitch of 34 Too Cramped for 6'6'' passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Main Cabin Extra Pitch of 34 Too Cramped for 6'6'' passenger?

Hello. I'm 6'6'' tall guy. I'm going from Charleston to San Jose, Costa Rica. American Airline's first plane has 34 inch pitch and their second is 37. First one is 1h+ and second is 2H+. My question is there anyone who's 6'6'' that finds 34 pitch comfortable? The main cabin extra is a 120+ charge for the extra inches. Also, there's Jet Blue Flight I can take which the 38 inch pitch more extra option but cost 690 altogether vs the America flight which cost 560 altogether. I don't know which one to choose.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, UA Gold
I'm 6'4" and find a 34" tolerable but not comfortable. But for a 1 hour flight, it'd be fine. $120 seems like a pretty high charge though for a short flight.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kadomony
I'm 6'4" and find a 34" tolerable but not comfortable. But for a 1 hour flight, it'd be fine. $120 seems like a pretty high charge though for a short flight.
Yeah, I thought it was going to be 11 or 25, but I'm technically a first time flyer so I don't know about legs and seat pitch.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
That seems steep for MCE.

I'm 6'4" and I probably wouldn't pay extra for it. (I'm AA Gold so I have a shot at it 24 hours prior to the flight...I'd just wait and hope.)

I do avoid torturous pitch like you find on some ULCCs. The *only* way I'll consider Spirit is if the front seats are available. (And even then, the only reason I'd consider Spirit is when all other options are really bad.)

But AA regular seat...two short flights...I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Jetblue might be an inch or two better in their "regular" seats. If things are equal and you have no loyalty to AA, that might be worthwhile.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:32 pm

I'm 6'5" and 300, I used to always get window seats, but no more,
now I always take an aisle seat because I can put one leg (knee) more
into the aisle just a smidge, and the other leg bent a little that way also
(as opposed to sitting with both legs straight forward).
If they need me to move my leg back in, I can, no problem, but it's nice
to be able to slack my legs over to one side.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fredman
I'm 6'5" and 300, I used to always get window seats, but no more,
now I always take an aisle seat because I can put one leg (knee) more
into the aisle just a smidge, and the other leg bent a little that way also
(as opposed to sitting with both legs straight forward).
If they need me to move my leg back in, I can, no problem, but it's nice
to be able to slack my legs over to one side.
Lol. I went with Jetblue BTW. It was a bit more, but I heard More Extra was worth it so I took the plunge. On my next trip back I will consider AA, but it's for a dental trip. Need about four implants done and some other mouth work.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
For a one hour flight even regular economy is fine. Just lose yourself in a good book.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I'm long-legged, 6'4" and travel with a legroom-hugging service dog. MCE will work reasonably well. I would not want to sit in a standard economy seat at your size, even for three hours.
Check the plane types scheduled to operate your flights. The A319 offers more legroom in the exit row - on these, row 14 is the place to be.
AAs A320s are especially bad - these are ex-US Airways planes and don't even have proper MCE (where AA removed rows of seats to create the cabin) - here, AA went and sells the bulkhead row and the exit rows as MCE. Row 11 is it on these. If you cannot snag a seat there, I'd select another routing...
All 737s have a 'proper' MCE cabin. Check if the plane scheduled to operate your flight offers inflight entertainment - if it does, get a window seat (window seats do not have a legroom-robbing equipment box) or the bulkhead row (8). Avoid the bulkhead on planes not offering inflight entertainment - much less legroom.

For details, see the seating threads over in the AA forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...idated-32.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...interiors.html

some 'good' seats are reserved for elite status passengers, and only become available shortly before departure as upgrades clear. Check back on the seat map a few times in the last day prior to departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.