Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Going to Watch the Eclipse?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:30 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by invisible
Yep, BTW, google maps was quite good to propose alternative country roads but at the end one had to come back to Route 97 where all the congestion was.
This is why I chose the farm area southeast of Salem. There was no shortage of country roads all the way north to I-205 if needed. I was able to avoid practically all the traffic jam.

As to whether it was worth the trip:

https://xkcd.com/1880/
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Someone in Madisonville, KY has a really good sense of humor. At the entrance to the freeway on ramp leaving town they posted a sign that says "Thanks for visiting. Come again when it isn't so crowded!"
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Yep, BTW, google maps was quite good to propose alternative country roads but at the end one had to come back to Route 97 where all the congestion was.
Originally Posted by nsx
This is why I chose the farm area southeast of Salem. There was no shortage of country roads all the way north to I-205 if needed. I was able to avoid practically all the traffic jam.
Trying to get from from Albany to Eugene I had Google Maps tell me that there was no available route. There certainly didn't seem to be an unclogged route!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by nsx
Did you know where you were going and/or did you have spot to stay/wait?

These of us who arrived from south did not have much choice on this regard....

Anyway. For 2019 - Chile or Argentina?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:19 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Did you know where you were going and/or did you have spot to stay/wait?

These of us who arrived from south did not have much choice on this regard....

Anyway. For 2019 - Chile or Argentina?
I chose a spot on Google Maps street view. I ended up cruising the area to find a secluded overnight spot. In the morning I cruised again and picked a slightly different viewing spot about a mile away. But the escape route was the same one I chose on Google Maps a few days earlier.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by CBear
I'm sorry, schools are closing for the day? Why??

Good heavens. The eclipse will last just a couple of minutes. How are they justifying this?
Like someone else mentioned, it is the liability issue. Besides, as a parent, I would want my child to be with me - if given the chance - to a) enjoy with the child and b) keep the child safe for the duration of the eclipse (the safety and liability issue is absolutely NOT the "couple of minutes" of totality but the couple of hours leading up to and away from it).

That said, neither of my kids' schools closed, but they didn't want to leave school to come with me to watch totality. So, I drove alone about 600 miles each way and had a wonderful viewing of the eclipse. :-)
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by Madone59
This thread has been moved from Trip Reports to a more appropriate forum to expand the discussion.

Madone59
Moderator: Trip Reports
Thanks Moderator, but I will add a short trip report regardless ... once I am done with my Alaska Trip Report :-)
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by an_asker
Thanks Moderator, but I will add a short trip report regardless ... once I am done with my Alaska Trip Report :-)
^^ Looking forward to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.