Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Frequent Flyers, What's a Business/Service you wish existed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Whether it's to do with ticketing, check in, baggage, flight changes, or anything else, what's a service relating to commercial air travel that you feel is either missing or could be improved upon? I'm interested in hearing any and all ideas, no matter if involves a physical airport location or if it's strictly online/telephone based.

I'm an entrepreneur looking to start a business targeted towards frequent flyers, and I figured the FlyerTalk community would be a great place to ask.

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
GMC917, welcome to FlyerTalk. We're going to move this to a more apropos forum.

Pls follow at its new home.

Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:17 pm

Wouldn't a better question be "Frequent Flyers, What's a Business/Service you wish existed, and would be willing to pay for?"
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by GMC917
Whether it's to do with ticketing, check in, baggage, flight changes, or anything else, what's a service relating to commercial air travel that you feel is either missing or could be improved upon? I'm interested in hearing any and all ideas, no matter if involves a physical airport location or if it's strictly online/telephone based.

I'm an entrepreneur looking to start a business targeted towards frequent flyers, and I figured the FlyerTalk community would be a great place to ask.

Thanks!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

I suppose my #1 request would be priority immigration/customs:

- priority immigration for J/F pax is quite common in several Asian countries (as well as a handful of other countries such as the UK and Australia), but is non-existent (or extremely limited) in other countries
- VIP service can be arranged at most airports (outside North America), but the cost varies from "very reasonable" ($50-$150) to astronomical ($2k-$3k)

Otherwise I would love to see a website/database with contact information (phone #, e-mail address, name of general manager and e-mail address) for hotels, or at least chain hotels. I can't say how much time I've wasted trying to locate such information.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:45 pm

Luggage delivery, like Yamato Takkyubin

Terminal return services for airports whose rental car center is far away (via shuttle or something), for those times you have luggage and do not want to have to get to the airport half or one hour earlier because how long it takes to get to the terminal after dropping off the car
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Dry cleaning/pressing

How about a laundry at the airport, where you can leave your stuff when departing and pick it up when you return or vice-versa? Coupled with luggage storage; imagine having your small garment bag ready to pick up as you're taking a trip, especially in destinations where one takes public transport to the airport.

I realize that the traveler who would spring for such a service is also the one who could afford to pay for express service at the hotel in the arriving city, but even many upscale hotels don't have dry-cleaning overnight since they send it out. And I still don't like paying $40 for express dry cleaning at a major city hotel when it's available.

I remember one airport in Europe (ZRH? VIE?) that had a dry-cleaner in the attached shopping concourse and one in Asia.

Also a 30-minute dry cleaning/pressing airside or at an arrival lounge would be nice, though with more limited applications may not be viable. I am surprised that no airline has added this feature to its lounge (to my knowledge). Like for business trips where it would be nice to drop your suit off before catching your red-eye flight and heading to work the next day or having it done while you shower in the arrival lounge.
DHSGemini likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
[QUOTE=GMC917;28679990]Whether it's to do with ticketing, check in, baggage, flight changes, or anything else, what's a service relating to commercial air travel that you feel is either missing or could be improved upon? I'm interested in hearing any and all ideas, no matter if involves a physical airport location or if it's strictly online/telephone based.

1. Prepaid futures on airplane tickets. For example, one could buy 5 LAX-JFK roundtrips at a set price good for 2017-2019. If they are not used, tough luck. If they are used, they can be used for any flight (or any flight as long as there is 6 days advanced booking).

2. Guaranteed overhead bin space so that one can board at the last minute.

3. Reliable and instant bookings in case of flight problems. For example, when I was aboard a plane at the departure gate, the flight was cancelled due to weather. There was then a long wait to get off the plane and wait to get rebooked. Instead, I ran to the ticket counter landside, but that took time.

This is hard to promise because some operators are slow.

4. Reminder service to keep frequent flyer accounts and hotel accounts and other frequent traveler accounts active. Alert people of how and when to keep accounts alive.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
4. Reminder service to keep frequent flyer accounts and hotel accounts and other frequent traveler accounts active. Alert people of how and when to keep accounts alive.
This one exists already. AwardWallet is one I commonly hear
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
More massage services or things to kill time. An airport lounge is great the first few times then it is boring.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
More massage services or things to kill time. An airport lounge is great the first few times then it is boring.
Free or paid?
Incheon is like a shopping mall. Singapore has gardens (multiple, butterfly, cactus) and a video game area and movie area and sleeping area.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:33 am

Pay as you go shower facilities in public areas so that those of us who can't access premium arrival lounges can freshen up after a long flight.

There's a couple at LHR, Yotel at CDG and one in JFK, but they seem to be few and far between. It would also be good to have the option to just pay for a shower, rather than have to pay for full two hour lounge access if you just want a quick shower before you head off.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
ability to buy groceries like milk, fruit, veggies, bread after arrival. after a longish trip like transcon or europe/asia to dulles, my kitchen is bare. i'd pay some premium but not crazy prices. frankfurt airport has such a market.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Free or paid?
Incheon is like a shopping mall. Singapore has gardens (multiple, butterfly, cactus) and a video game area and movie area and sleeping area.
I'm happy to pay if it kills the time. In Singapore we've left The Private Room to have an hour massage.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
A layover app that reads your pulls information from your itinerary and gate information from flight tracker and can quickly provides information useful to your layover (highest rated restaurants on path from gate A to B, best ways to get from A to B, alerts if you need to do something unexpected like leave and re-enter security, or if the commuter system between terminals is down). It can provide you a quick report to look through while you've landed and are taxiing into your arrival gate to make for an efficient, informed, layover.

You can set your preferences before getting on your first plane so it gives you a text alert when you land.

"i.e. Welcome to DFW. You are arriving at gate E24 and your next plane departs from gate D17. It should take 8-10 minutes to get there, including time on the Skylink. You requested that you would like wine and a currency exchange during this layover. The currency exchange closest to your route is at gate D22, the highest rated restaurant serving wine on your route is Viva Vino at gate E20" ,

You can then open the app and there is a map with the route and places that perform your desired services highlighted.

Last edited by mdkowals; Aug 13, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AlanInDC
ability to buy groceries like milk, fruit, veggies, bread after arrival. after a longish trip like transcon or europe/asia to dulles, my kitchen is bare. i'd pay some premium but not crazy prices. frankfurt airport has such a market.
Many major European airports have this IME. I love it.
Originally Posted by mdkowals
A layover app that reads your pulls information from your itinerary and gate information from flight tracker and can quickly provides information useful to your layover (highest rated restaurants on path from gate A to B, best ways to get from A to B, alerts if you need to do something unexpected like leave and re-enter security, or if the commuter system between terminals is down). It can provide you a quick report to look through while you've landed and are taxiing into your arrival gate to make for an efficient, informed, layover.
Not perfectly what you're looking for, but take a look at https://getgrab.com/, at least for the airports it supports the ability to do the restaurants along the path (and even pre-order) is pretty slick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.