Worst airport to have a layover in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst airport to have a layover in?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Worst International: Heathrow, Lisbon, Nairobi (sorry, can't be bothered looking up codes)
Worst Domestic: LAX, JFK, EWR, Dulles. Plus ORD if transferring between domestic and international
Best in the world: Singapore (of course)
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
SVO, CDG, MNL, LHE, RUH are all worth avoiding as a connection point.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by CMK10
There is, it's a windowless compound surrounded by really thin walls that gets crowded incredibly easily. Sadly I wasn't even able to use it when I was there as I was flying Luxair so I was stuck paying 12 E for a horrible panini.

There is now a nicer, larger and more comfortable new AF lounge with windows and better F&B offer.
The WiFi improved a lot too across the whole airport.
I would not recommend CDG as a transit airport unless you arrive-leave from Terminals 2E-F-G.
Immigration is bad but then it is not better anywhere else when crowded.

Ulxima
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
The rule of thumb for any decent frequent traveller is to exclude airports where you need a VISA to stay in the transit country and airports where the change of Terminals cannot be done airside.

My personal choice, whenever possible, as transit airports is any among: AMS (overnight preferred), CDG (only 2E-F-G), FCO (no overnight transit), HKG (Terminal 1 only, overnight preferred), KUL (Main and Satellite only), ICN, MUC (Terminal 2 only, no overnight transit), SIN, ZRH (overnight preferred).

Ulxima
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
NBO--surprised it hasn't been mentioned here. Beats MNL in my book for sheer unpleasantness.
​​​​​​Haven't transited at MNL, only arrived/departed (and too drink to remember departing on a 6am flight to HKG), but the traffic was horrendous and the airport on arrival didn't strike me as very comfortable. That being said, 100% agree on NBO. 12hr layover, needed visa to enter and no lounge access. A single bar with a ridiculously overpriced beer. Urgh.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: GE, UA silver, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
KWI - Kuwait. Seriously, an "operational stop" on UA had us corralled into a large room with seats. No bathrooms. No shops. No food. No TVs. One exit, but if you left, you had to go back through security again, and this was a big deal. Cigarette smoke was thick, and it was a miserable stop, for sure.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: HH Dia, UA S, US Plat, *A G, Delta Plat, SPG G
ICN too

Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
Worst International: Heathrow, Lisbon, Nairobi (sorry, can't be bothered looking up codes)
Worst Domestic: LAX, JFK, EWR, Dulles. Plus ORD if transferring between domestic and international
Best in the world: Singapore (of course)
This post was started about the worst [for me, MNL & everywhere in Australia] - but I can't really let you get away with only SIN as the best. SIN is good, but ICN is way up there too.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by DebbieT11
KWI - Kuwait. Seriously, an "operational stop" on UA had us corralled into a large room with seats. No bathrooms. No shops. No food. No TVs. One exit, but if you left, you had to go back through security again, and this was a big deal. Cigarette smoke was thick, and it was a miserable stop, for sure.
I used to connect in Ankara (ESB) on some routes to eastern Turkey. Just about the same experience - felt like I was stuck in a holding cell.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:37 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mapu
SVO, CDG, MNL, LHE, RUH are all worth avoiding as a connection point.
I've never had an easier transfer than two at RUH in 2013; I left the plane, went up stairs, and was already at the gate. No security, though...

RUH doesn't have enough decent food options (mostly, it's fast food and baked goods), but I don't mind the airport.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:52 am

Roberts International Airport, long known as Roberts Field, in Monrovia. The place is just scary without mentioning the lack of creature comforts.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:34 am

Surprised no-one has mentioned HEL. First went through there about 10 years ago, was nice in a subdued Nordic way, but recently it's become way overcrowded, even the main business lounge is a "hold onto your table before someone nicks it" kind of place, and security inbound from outside Schengen is an arbitrary circus ("phone in case - OK; table in case - please remove it, sir").
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by planesquid
Surprised no-one has mentioned HEL. First went through there about 10 years ago, was nice in a subdued Nordic way, but recently it's become way overcrowded, even the main business lounge is a "hold onto your table before someone nicks it" kind of place, and security inbound from outside Schengen is an arbitrary circus ("phone in case - OK; table in case - please remove it, sir").
Most airports would object to you carrying a table through security
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Most airports would object to you carrying a table through security
Mind you, given how uncomfortable planes are nowadays, perhaps more people will bring chairs through.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by frogster
Worst experience so far: MLE (a few years ago)

When I can I avoid CDG, PEK and the big US Airports (the hassle of having to go through immigration when conecting Int - Int)

Airports in MOW have been OK for transfers (unless you need to change between them) - most of the lounges are quite bad though

Regarding CDG, it really depends on which terminal. 2E-K is awful, 2E-L and 2E-M are not so bad IMO. Though a nap in the chairs in front of the big window at the end of 2E-K makes it tolerable
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by acidicsystems
I haven't traveled to many places but it seems that ADD in Ethiopia is pretty bad. I was travelling with family in 2016 because of the cheap tickets and new flight path from LAX-DUB-ADD but honestly I think it was a mistake. Don't get me wrong, the new Boeing 787's were amazing but I can say that despite me not particularly enjoying connecting flights, I would take a 18 hour layover in Amsterdam without leaving the airport than a 5 hour layover there.

Aside from the infrastructure, the treatment by immigration and customs officers can also make the experience hell, particularly if someone is from different religion or ethnicity in some regions (Middle Eastern countries, Most of Asia, South America).

What would you have to say was your worst layover experience?
For me, my most dreaded airports are MCI, STL and, absolute worst for a 1-4 hour layover is LGA in the WN terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.