Collect call to USA from Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:01 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Collect call to USA from Switzerland

I did a search on this section of FT: "collect call", the "hits" were over 10 years old. I did a Google search: 0170 is supposed to get you to an "international operator"--it doesn't. I don't have access to Skype.
There does NOT seem to be any way of getting an OPERATOR on SWISSCOM.
Calling ATT DIRECT using 0800-89-0011 entering number I'm calling collect and then hitting O, "no operators are available" is the recorded message.
Not everyone has a cellphone and even then many USA based CPs don't work in EUROPE.
PS: I asked a person at the front desk of my hotel (in Zurich), how do YOU reach a SWISSCOM operator: "I never need to reach an OPERATOR"
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by nrr
I did a search on this section of FT: "collect call", the "hits" were over 10 years old. I did a Google search: 0170 is supposed to get you to an "international operator"--it doesn't. I don't have access to Skype.
There does NOT seem to be any way of getting an OPERATOR on SWISSCOM.
Calling ATT DIRECT using 0800-89-0011 entering number I'm calling collect and then hitting O, "no operators are available" is the recorded message.
Not everyone has a cellphone and even then many USA based CPs don't work in EUROPE.
PS: I asked a person at the front desk of my hotel (in Zurich), how do YOU reach a SWISSCOM operator: "I never need to reach an OPERATOR"
What do you mean when you say you don't have access to Skype (or similar) - not a good enough wifi connection?

You could pick up a long distance calling card - usually pretty reasonably priced and readily available in convenience stores and the like, in most countries.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I'm similarly confused by the lack of Skype access. If you can get on FT you should be able to access Skype or Google Voice.

Otherwise as noted a long distance calling card or a local SIM card to pop into your phone (or even a cheap prepaid flip phone) are all options in an emergency.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by nrr
I asked a person at the front desk of my hotel (in Zurich), how do YOU reach a SWISSCOM operator: "I never need to reach an OPERATOR"
I have a feeling that many people under thirty don't really know what a telephone operator is, and many under forty have never spoken with one in their lives.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:19 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My hotel has a computer terminal in the lobby for accessing the Internet. I don't think I want to use Skype in public.
PS: As it turns out since I will be back in the USA shortly, I won't need to make the collect call NOW--but there might be a future time when I might need to make a collect call to the USA...
PS(PS): Some companies have an arrangement with ATT DIRECT, American Airlines I.e. Is one such company, it's nice: I dial 0800-89-0011 from my hotel room (NO EXTRA CHARGE--since its toll free) dial AA TOLL FREE number, I get connected (AA pays ATT), nice clear voice connection.^

Originally Posted by Duke787
I'm similarly confused by the lack of Skype access. If you can get on FT you should be able to access Skype or Google Voice.

Otherwise as noted a long distance calling card or a local SIM card to pop into your phone (or even a cheap prepaid flip phone) are all options in an emergency.
The PRE-PAID flip phone seems like the best (emergency) option.

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 5, 2017 at 11:20 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am presuming that OP does not have a smart phone or else he would simply use the same WiFi connection to access Skype as he is using to access the internet for his post on FT.

Indeed, if he really is in a pickle, a prepaid cheap phone with a SIM card loaded for calls to the US is the best and cheapest option.

A collect call, if you can make it to an 0170 operator is going to cost the party who accepts the charges an astronomical amount, far more than the a prepaid.

If you are travelling regularly, having a smart phone and a backup is a real necessity.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Why not just call using the hotel phone and pay the bill?

Or just get add an international plan to your mobile phone service?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
During the old days, there used to be a way to reach a US-based AT&T operator while traveling overseas. This was useful before the days of cell phones and prepaid SIM cards. There may still be a way to do this, but I have not tried it in probably 10 years. It may be easier to figure out how to reach a US-based operator while you are in the US and before you leave the US on your next trip.

Even for people without smartphones, you should be able to purchase a cheap unlocked flip phone in the US and purchase a prepaid SIM card at the airport of your foreign destination. Most people working at the airport will speak enough English to set up the phone for you so that you can use it to call back home.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:57 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Was it not possible to use a public payphone?

What's wrong with Skype in public? Just speak quietly. At the absolute worst, go to the airport and use the free wifi...
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Me

Since I have a Voip.MS account (VOIP), all I would do is load Zoiper on my cellphone, configure with my details and use Wifi on the phone to make or receive calls. Yes, I could receive calls made to my US phone number while visiting Switzerland and they would cost me a penny a minute.

Yes, not free but a penny a minute to the US or even cheaper (7/10's of a cent per min) to UK.

Calling this way back into Switzerland is 22 cents a minute to most mobile phones, but 2 cents a minute to landlines.

This service uses one of my US based telephone numbers.

I can only imagine what the call you are trying to make would cost.

ADDED: Using the hotel phone might cost even more as many hotels add charges for that too.

Last edited by Lavarock7; Jun 6, 2017 at 4:10 am
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:16 am

Unlocked Android smartphones can be quite affordable these days. If you prefer iOS an unlocked iPhone 5s from eBay or swappa runs ~ $120.

There are apps for making calls, including Skype and Google Voice (free calls to the US). You can make the call via wifi so you don't even need to purchase a sim card, get the phone unlocked from carrier, or worry about which carrier frequencies your phone may be compatible with. Just look for a decent wifi connection. It is fine to keep the phone turned off if you don't need it. The voice quality over wifi/data has also gotten better, too, though you still often get what you pay for.

Purchasing a local sim card usually requires 15+ min and fitting my purchase into regular business hours so a little planning is necessary. VOIP isn't allowed in every single country in the world so a backup or two is a good idea https://nordvpn.com/blog/why-is-skyp...ain-countries/

As far as "many US cell phone networks not working in Europe", that was perhaps true 6/7 years ago but is no longer the case. T-Mobile data roams for free in many European countries. AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint have paid international roaming passes.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I have a feeling that many people under thirty don't really know what a telephone operator is, and many under forty have never spoken with one in their lives.
I'm in my mid-30's and the only memories I have of telephone operators and collect calls are vague recollections from TV shows or movies that I may have watched in my youth.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:04 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
I am presuming that OP does not have a smart phone or else he would simply use the same WiFi connection to access Skype as he is using to access the internet for his post on FT.

Indeed, if he really is in a pickle, a prepaid cheap phone with a SIM card loaded for calls to the US is the best and cheapest option.

A collect call, if you can make it to an 0170 operator is going to cost the party who accepts the charges an astronomical amount, far more than the a prepaid.

If you are travelling regularly, having a smart phone and a backup is a real necessity.
Banks/CCs accept collect calls from overseas if you lost your cc or other similarly related issues--since their "800" number won't work and is NOT toll-free.
I've not had to deal with making a collect call to the USA until NOW, but buying a pp cp with SIM is good for FUTURE use.
At one time (5+ years ago) pay phones in Switzerland allowed one to use a CC with NO surcharges, a 5 minute call to the USA cost $1.00^--but NOT anymore

Originally Posted by freecia
Unlocked Android smartphones can be quite affordable these days. If you prefer iOS an unlocked iPhone 5s from eBay or swappa runs ~ $120.

There are apps for making calls, including Skype and Google Voice (free calls to the US). You can make the call via wifi so you don't even need to purchase a sim card, get the phone unlocked from carrier, or worry about which carrier frequencies your phone may be compatible with. Just look for a decent wifi connection. It is fine to keep the phone turned off if you don't need it. The voice quality over wifi/data has also gotten better, too, though you still often get what you pay for.

Purchasing a local sim card usually requires 15+ min and fitting my purchase into regular business hours so a little planning is necessary. VOIP isn't allowed in every single country in the world so a backup or two is a good idea https://nordvpn.com/blog/why-is-skyp...ain-countries/

As far as "many US cell phone networks not working in Europe", that was perhaps true 6/7 years ago but is no longer the case. T-Mobile data roams for free in many European countries. AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint have paid international roaming passes.
My cellphone is a VirginMobile on a pre-paid plan, it does NOT get a signal in Europe--even though VM uses Sprint Network in the USA.
But as others have noted, buying a "cheap-o" flip-phone is probably best for my needs.

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 6, 2017 at 8:43 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
You have a smartphone and apparently internet access - why isn't Skype an option?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
You have a smartphone and apparently internet access - why isn't Skype an option?
I first used Skype when the quality was downright terrible. The latest app when used on WiFi produces excellent quality free calls to landlines and US cellphones. I also use it for non-free destinations like European cellphones where the rates are good value on a prepaid account (£sterling10 per credit from UK).

PS: I have no business relationship with Skype. Other providers are available ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.