Reload this Page >

UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain + others cut off relations with Qatar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Detailed discussion about impact on Qatar Air operations and whether to rebook flights can be found here.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

Just got an AP news alert on my phone that EY is suspending flights to Qatar "amid gulf diplomatic rift."

Details on the developing diplomatic issue: http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/05/middle...-qatar-terror/

WaPo is carrying the AP news brief: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.b6a7260943a6

Edited to add: AP news story only broke 5 minutes ago, but the folks over in the EY forum have been on this for more than half an hour: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...ng-6-june.html
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:11 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

I guess this also means that QR will be blocked from flying to/from the UAE? As of now, they are still selling this route.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Emirates is joining the suspension:
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:34 am

UAE, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain cut off relations with Qatar

"Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates have broken diplomatic relations with Qatar, rattling a powerful 36-year-old Gulf states union, over what they say is the country's support of terrorism. Egypt has also cut off relations with the tiny Gulf state."

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/05/mi...ror/index.html

As a consequence:

"All three major UAE airlines including Emirates, Etihad and flydubai will suspend flights to and from Doha from Tuesday morning, they announced on Monday, as the rift between the GCC states intensifies."

Source: http://gulfbusiness.com/abu-dhabis-e...qatar-tuesday/

Related airline-specific FT threads:

Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:30 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Thanks mmff for this update, this came something of surprise this morning when I read it for the first time.

This has the potential to spill over into a full blown diplomatic row between the countries/region involved.

Equally this will affect lots of passengers be it via land/air or sea IMHO.

Only time will tell which and what solution will be found to keep all parties at least somewhat satisfied.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Libya, Egypt and the Maldives are also part of the anti-Qatari coalition currently. But the full impact of the anti-Qatari moves on travelers hasn't yet played out in full. For more coverage on this area, there are threads in some of the airline forums about this.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Surprised this didn't happen before as nobody in the region has been too happy with Al Jizzera network coverage that is more critical than they like. It is a bit ironic as the Al Thani family is not the only one in the region that has allegedly provided support to terrorists (I guess just the wrong ones).

Maybe they can partner with El Al since they are both regional outcasts now LOL.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:21 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Boraxo

Maybe they can partner with El Al since they are both regional outcasts now LOL.
Let's see how long this Qatar snafu lasts...though, I was thinking along those lines, too:

Name:  dsc00002.jpg
Views: 2744
Size:  316.4 KB
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Let's see how long this Qatar snafu lasts...though, I was thinking along those lines, too:

Attachment 33833
Given one of the reasons Qatar has been blackballed by the majority of its neighbours (at least the Sunni ones) is because it finances groups like Hamas and Hezbulah, Israel's sworn enemies...so not sure your alliance would work.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:33 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Given one of the reasons Qatar has been blackballed by the majority of its neighbours (at least the Sunni ones) is because it finances groups like Hamas and Hezbulah, Israel's sworn enemies...so not sure your alliance would work.
Not my point...was merely alluding to QR's "updated" route map.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Not my point...was merely alluding to QR's "updated" route map.
None of those routes touch Qatar.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
None of those routes touch Qatar.
I believe what the poster was saying is that the El Al route maps looks ridiculous as there are a number of countries that El Al can't fly over, and soon, Qatar's will look the same. I actually pulled up their flight from Beirut, QTR419, and since they can't fly over Saudi Arabia, they had to go a northerly route which added 30 minutes.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Shareholder
That is really not one of the reasons. Israel's tensions with militant non-state actors (which may also be foreign-state-aided in various ways) isn't the reason why this kind of Saudi/Emirati-driven blockade has hit QR.

LY+QR would be the alliance of those airlines forced to fly inconvenient flight paths due to tensions between regional neighbors leading to denial of use of a huge proportion of foreign territorial airspace that would otherwise be a more direct and economical route and is open to third countries' common carriers.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
How likely is Oman to also break relations with Qatar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.