Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotels without chemical "signature scent" and pop rock music in pool, lobby and gym?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels without chemical "signature scent" and pop rock music in pool, lobby and gym?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
It may make "sense" to you, but to those with severe allergies, it all makes too much "scents".
I do get it though - I was thinking of the economics of it, it makes sense for the company's bottom line. (And in the end, that's also what companies are thinking about)

It should be said that fragrances usually are not allergens but irritants. If you're already suffering from hayfever, it'll make things worse
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I always presumed that the "nice" smell was being used to cover up less nice smells - bleach and other cleaning materials, or worse.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
It’s not always awful - I have a candle that recreates the scent of IC Sydney, and in small doses it brings back big lovely memories,

For muzak - ugh IC GS in Hong Kong. In corridors - too loud, repetitive and inane. And at CNY....wow, one song (?) on repeat for two weeks.

Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Both my husband and I are turned off by strong scents. That said...before we got married, we read something that recommended trying a new fragrance on your wedding day because it would evoke scent memories, so we each bought something new. But the hotel where our wedding was held (and that we stayed at for 5 days during our wedding) had a pleasant but subtle signature scent in its lobby. They sell the room spray, and I'm thankful because that now evokes more scent memories than the perfume I wore.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
I am also not enamored with these signature scents. Fairmont Pacific Rim in Vancouver has their Waterfall scent throughout the lobby and toiletries. At first I found it pleasant but after 3 days found it irritating stopped using the provided toiletries. The room itself was not fragranced so at least there was some relief there.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Fragola
I am also not enamored with these signature scents. Fairmont Pacific Rim in Vancouver has their Waterfall scent throughout the lobby and toiletries. At first I found it pleasant but after 3 days found it irritating stopped using the provided toiletries. The room itself was not fragranced so at least there was some relief there.
This is our favorite hotel in Vancouver. I don't remember noticing any scent in the public areas.
And we carry our own toiletries, so we'd never notice any fragrances in those, quite deliberately.
(We save assorted last bits of hand soap, and bring them along in a ziplock... smallest for overnight or even one-use, and slightly larger for a slightly longer stay. For a long stay in one place, we just bring along new bars of soap. And of course, we have small bottles of our regular shampoo/etc.)

"Air fresheners" are just more "junk" (aka pollution) in the air, as far as we are concerned.

GC
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've only noticed scents in a few places in all my travels. The Luxor in Vegas has a strong scent and not a good one IMHO - it's in all of the common lobby and shopping areas. I figured in Vegas they do this because without it, the prevailing scent would be stale tobacco smoke. Occasionally I'll pick up on a scent in a hotel with a high-end spa...they'll have the products out in the lobby, perhaps as a way to entice you to the spa or to buy the scented products.

I don't notice it at mainline Hiltons and Marriotts, or perhaps I subconsciously do and just assume it's there to cover the scents of harsher cleaning supplies.

As for music, I always sort of chuckle when I'm at a large business hotel full of mainly business travelers and the lobby techno is so loud I can hardly hear the front desk clerk. Um, it's 4pm on a Tuesday, I don't need to feel like I'm at a club. Lookin at you, Seattle W Hotel (and probably most W's in general). It might not bother me so much if it only kicked in later at night at hotels that actually want a nightlife scene in their lobby, as some do. Aloft tries to do this too, even at their suburban office park locations. Electronica with my work colleagues at breakfast on a Wednesday? Okay.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've only noticed scents in a few places in all my travels. The Luxor in Vegas has a strong scent and not a good one IMHO - it's in all of the common lobby and shopping areas. I figured in Vegas they do this because without it, the prevailing scent would be stale tobacco smoke. Occasionally I'll pick up on a scent in a hotel with a high-end spa...they'll have the products out in the lobby, perhaps as a way to entice you to the spa or to buy the scented products.

I don't notice it at mainline Hiltons and Marriotts, or perhaps I subconsciously do and just assume it's there to cover the scents of harsher cleaning supplies.

As for music, I always sort of chuckle when I'm at a large business hotel full of mainly business travelers and the lobby techno is so loud I can hardly hear the front desk clerk. Um, it's 4pm on a Tuesday, I don't need to feel like I'm at a club. Lookin at you, Seattle W Hotel (and probably most W's in general). It might not bother me so much if it only kicked in later at night at hotels that actually want a nightlife scene in their lobby, as some do. Aloft tries to do this too, even at their suburban office park locations. Electronica with my work colleagues at breakfast on a Wednesday? Okay.
I guess W is indeed that type of hotel ("nightlife scene in their lobby"), but starting early on.

I have a VERY unpleasant memory of my only (ever!!) stay at a W, at their Midtown Manhattan location many years ago. There was a snowstorm, and I couldn't fly out. None of the regular business (or luxe/leisure) hotels had availability. I think DH found the room at W, and he grabbed it for me from afar. Getting a taxi in the blizzard was also interesting, of course...

Anyway, I walked in to BLARING <name of popular music style then>, and a crowd like they were giving away money. I had to almost squirm though the crowd, and didn't even know where the front desk was. NOT HAPPY!
I get to my room, and... the key doesn't work. I've got heavy luggage (it was a week-long trip, plus lots of papers), so I lug it all back down, as I could see no house phone. Apologies, of course.
Back to the room, and I enter to find a lovely tray with a cake - say what!?
The envelope states, "Welcome Back, Mr UnfamiliarName [I'm female]. We hope you enjoy your stay with us again!"

So... WHO ELSE might be given a key to this room, I wonder!?

Thank goodness for all the chains and bolts on the door. I figured that would at least slow down someone else, even with staff, and also wake me up first

And IF there was any "hotel fragrance", it was overwhelmed by the assorted scents/odors/etc., of a somewhat unruly crowd.

Neither of us has ever been back to a W.

GC
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
The envelope states, "Welcome Back, Mr UnfamiliarName [I'm female]. We hope you enjoy your stay with us again!"
Well, I hope you at least hoovered up that cake for your troubles!!

I stayed at the W Union Square once and it was going for the earthy theme. (2007 or so) The music was soothing (something similar to Enya) and they had these little installations of indoor natural grass in pots in various places. I'm sure there was also some sort of scent that I didn't consciously recognize. I always laughed about how they gave their rooms ridiculous names. I was booked in the "Spectacular" (or similar) category, and that was...an unremarkable hotel room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.