FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotels without chemical "signature scent" and pop rock music in pool, lobby and gym?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:15 am
GeezerCouple

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've only noticed scents in a few places in all my travels. The Luxor in Vegas has a strong scent and not a good one IMHO - it's in all of the common lobby and shopping areas. I figured in Vegas they do this because without it, the prevailing scent would be stale tobacco smoke. Occasionally I'll pick up on a scent in a hotel with a high-end spa...they'll have the products out in the lobby, perhaps as a way to entice you to the spa or to buy the scented products.

I don't notice it at mainline Hiltons and Marriotts, or perhaps I subconsciously do and just assume it's there to cover the scents of harsher cleaning supplies.

As for music, I always sort of chuckle when I'm at a large business hotel full of mainly business travelers and the lobby techno is so loud I can hardly hear the front desk clerk. Um, it's 4pm on a Tuesday, I don't need to feel like I'm at a club. Lookin at you, Seattle W Hotel (and probably most W's in general). It might not bother me so much if it only kicked in later at night at hotels that actually want a nightlife scene in their lobby, as some do. Aloft tries to do this too, even at their suburban office park locations. Electronica with my work colleagues at breakfast on a Wednesday? Okay.
I guess W is indeed that type of hotel ("nightlife scene in their lobby"), but starting early on.

I have a VERY unpleasant memory of my only (ever!!) stay at a W, at their Midtown Manhattan location many years ago. There was a snowstorm, and I couldn't fly out. None of the regular business (or luxe/leisure) hotels had availability. I think DH found the room at W, and he grabbed it for me from afar. Getting a taxi in the blizzard was also interesting, of course...

Anyway, I walked in to BLARING <name of popular music style then>, and a crowd like they were giving away money. I had to almost squirm though the crowd, and didn't even know where the front desk was. NOT HAPPY!
I get to my room, and... the key doesn't work. I've got heavy luggage (it was a week-long trip, plus lots of papers), so I lug it all back down, as I could see no house phone. Apologies, of course.
Back to the room, and I enter to find a lovely tray with a cake - say what!?
The envelope states, "Welcome Back, Mr UnfamiliarName [I'm female]. We hope you enjoy your stay with us again!"

So... WHO ELSE might be given a key to this room, I wonder!?

Thank goodness for all the chains and bolts on the door. I figured that would at least slow down someone else, even with staff, and also wake me up first

And IF there was any "hotel fragrance", it was overwhelmed by the assorted scents/odors/etc., of a somewhat unruly crowd.

Neither of us has ever been back to a W.

GC