Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Settling Hotel Bill With Branded Credit Card from Different Hotel Chain

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Can't imagine the staff care. Like when someone stomps off saying "I'm never going to stay here again" the staff would say fabulous. Less d heads to deal with.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Checking in at Sheraton in Seattle. she asked for my credit card and I handed over a Hilton branded card. She just said "oh come on" and started laughing.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No one will care. Centurion Card holders hate to. E told that.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I always use my SPG AmEx after I hit the DL AmEx spend level that exempts me from Delta's status-earning minimum spend. That includes other hotel chains. Usually they don't notice, or at least don't react in any way. On the few occasions that someone did, I say "I can use their card and stay here, or use your card but stay there. Which do you prefer?" The usual response is always something like "I'm glad you chose to stay with us."
Old May 23, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA, DL, AF
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
Is it bad form to pay at one hotel chain with a branded credit card for a different hotel chain? For example, if I have a Hilton credit card and stay at a Marriott property, is it rude to use the Hilton credit card at Marriott.

Searched prior threads but did not see a discussion. Thoughts appreciated .....
It depends on your strategy.

I have the Amex SPG (double points at Marriotts) and a new Amex Hhonors Surpass that is half way to the minimum spend that will give me the 100k. I'd be torn...
Old May 23, 2017, 8:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Certainly not bad form. Back in the days of the Amex OPEN Hyatt discount, I'd frequently use my SPG card.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AY+
I think only thing is that they might give you add for their loyalty program
Old May 23, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I hope you negotiated a nice rate and points/amenities bonus for such frequent stays.
Ha yeah we got a good rate that's for sure - at varying points of the project we were putting between 5 and 15 people up in the Hampton Inn every M-Th so they definitely were getting good business. No bonus points (rates were negotiated by the consulting firm travel department) but they did let us keep our corporate AMEX MRs (and they paid the annual fee) or use personal cards so wasn't too bad.

Unfortunately there's not much to speak of for Diamond upgrades in a middle of nowhere hotel but they were nice. They'd hold our stuff in the back-office on the weekend (I stored a bag with full size shampoo, toothpaste, etc.) and if we alt traveled somewhere we could just leave our suit bag back there too for the weekend.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kb9522
Pretty sure the only time they'll care is if you try to settle your bill with a herd of alpacas.
Or pineapples. Whenever I see a thread where someone asks "Do I have to change my American dollars into Hawaii money when I get there?" I'm always tempted to say YES - and the local custom is to barter for everything using fresh pineapples.

But alpacas would do nicely as well.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Or pineapples. Whenever I see a thread where someone asks "Do I have to change my American dollars into Hawaii money when I get there?" I'm always tempted to say YES - and the local custom is to barter for everything using fresh pineapples.

But alpacas would do nicely as well.
Is that why everything seems so expensive when I am there? Because I am not factoring in the exchange rate?
Old May 23, 2017, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I take perverse pleasure, now that supermarkets are no longer permitted to give bags, in always using ones from rival chains. Only once has the check out person commented.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I'm sure most front desk staff don't even glance at the card except to orient the stripe/chip - nor would they care what co-brand it is. I'm never bothered when I use a different one.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Is that why everything seems so expensive when I am there? Because I am not factoring in the exchange rate?
The pineapple is pretty strong against the dollar at the moment.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
The days when the Amex Platinum Card had status and cattle used MasterCharge or Visa are long gone. Now the word gold or platinum means nothing.

I tend to leave the warning to activate the card sticker on the card to throw off thieves for 1 second while they wonder if the card is activated. It also covers up the co-branding of the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.