Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can I not check my bag all the way to my destination and pick it up during my layover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I not check my bag all the way to my destination and pick it up during my layover

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 6:04 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold

Can I request while checking in at my origin location to only check my suitcase through the layover country, allowing me to pick up there and then check it back in, later on in the day?

I have a 14 hour long layover and I will be heading out of the airport, I would like to have my DSLR camera with me. But with all this talk of expanded travel bans for flights from europe, if I have my suitcase with me, I can then put my camera in the suitcase and check it back in. rather than checking in a backpack, which will get tossed around.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
What airlines? What airports?
Old May 12, 2017, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by fnaime23
Can I request while checking in at my origin location to only check my suitcase through the layover country, allowing me to pick up there and then check it back in, later on in the day?

I have a 14 hour long layover and I will be heading out of the airport, I would like to have my DSLR camera with me. But with all this talk of expanded travel bans for flights from europe, if I have my suitcase with me, I can then put my camera in the suitcase and check it back in. rather than checking in a backpack, which will get tossed around.
I would not want to place a DSLR camera into checked luggage... Too easy to break or have stolen.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I would not want to place a DSLR camera into checked luggage... Too easy to break or have stolen.
And I'm pretty sure that most airlines disclaim responsibility for loss of, or damage to, such items in checked baggage.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I had no problem picking up bag in midpoint in mid-Asia/mid-EU and Asia-EU flights - like IST-FRA-MUC (pick up bag at FRA), SIN-IST-ZRH (pick up bag at IST), TBS-MUC-FRA-SIN - pick up bag at FRA.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by wrp96
What airlines? What airports?
Exactly right. Please provide the relevant information. fnaime23

Old May 13, 2017, 10:52 am
fadynaime
Original Poster

apologies, figured it was generic enough and with the rumored bad extension it would apply to anything through europe.

I'm flying BEY-CDG-MSP-LAX. first segment is Air France and the rest of it is Delta. I've made this trip before and usually bags go through to MSP because its first point of entry to the US. the question is with the 14 hour layover in CDG, I will have my backpack when I land, but with the rumored extension of the electronic ban which might include CDG. I don't want to check in the backpack. if the bad goes through, can I pick up my suitcase in CDG take it with me to my hotel, stuff in it the camera and the backpack if I can and then check it back in.

I know its not safe to keep laptops and DSLRs in suitcases, they can break they can get stolen, etc. but I would hate not having a laptop or a cam on my trip.
my alternative would be point and shoot and a netbook (which I don't currently own).
Old May 13, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
I would expect it's unlikely you will be allowed to do this due to their fear of hidden city ticketing. Probably depends on BEY check in - if you know someone who knows someone you will have a better chance
Old May 13, 2017, 1:54 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by Reds2011
I would expect it's unlikely you will be allowed to do this due to their fear of hidden city ticketing. Probably depends on BEY check in - if you know someone who knows someone you will have a better chance
Never had a problem with this even on small stops (5-6 hour). I usually tell the staff I have to go a airport hotel for a meeting and want my stuff and they explain its faster if checked till my final destination but dont give me a hard time. If you insist you will be leaving the airport, they will let you take your bags at your stopover since they may have to offload them if you don't show up for your next flight.

Also if you are paying for checked luggage, staff will be less reluctant as you may be required to pay again.
Old May 13, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the problem is, if you cannot pickup your luggage at initial destination, and forward it, you have to go back and get it there. the luggage does not continue onward. this was the old rule, i doubt it has changed.
Old May 13, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by sahiljain22
Never had a problem with this even on small stops (5-6 hour). I usually tell the staff I have to go a airport hotel for a meeting and want my stuff and they explain its faster if checked till my final destination but dont give me a hard time. If you insist you will be leaving the airport, they will let you take your bags at your stopover since they may have to offload them if you don't show up for your next flight.
Depends on the route. On a FRA-CDG-LAX-CDG-FRA, it's in my experience unlikely that they refuse to check the bag only for FRA-CDG if you have a 14H stop in Paris, whereas short checking the bag on the return leg may be refused more frequently on the basis that the airline suspects you of not turning up for CDG-FRA and misusing their fare structure.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:23 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Depends on the route. On a FRA-CDG-LAX-CDG-FRA, it's in my experience unlikely that they refuse to check the bag only for FRA-CDG if you have a 14H stop in Paris, whereas short checking the bag on the return leg may be refused more frequently on the basis that the airline suspects you of not turning up for CDG-FRA and misusing their fare structure.
thanks. sounds like I'm going to have to ask.

This would be on my return leg. and only if the rumor of expanded ban goes into effect. I don't want to take my suitcase, I just don't want ot check in a backpack that can be thrown around and can't be fully secured.

the ticket is LAX-MSP-CDG-BEY-CDG-MSP-LAX so I'm not trying to mess with the fare and it is a business fare, so my bags will go through free of charge.

but will have to ask and hope that the air france agent in BEY lets me do it, if its needed.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is one of those situations where past may not be prologue. Under the current circumstances, the answer is "definitely maybe". There is no person who can give you a definitive answer in advance and if they do, they may simple be wrong.

If further restrictions are placed on transportable items, perhaps this will change the rules and perhaps not. But, there is no person here who could even hazard an educated guess as to what might happen because it is unlikely that any carrier has made a decision as to how best to handle the issue.

For the moment, I would not bother trying to research what might happen if X occurs because you will not get a solid and correct answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.