Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying When Tall

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Flying When Tall

Fellow FT'ers, forgive me for venting out, but I feel like sharing to just find out who among you feels my "pain" with regard to this subject.

I'm 191 (about 6'3 in that other dimension). I've always had issues with my height. It's all great and fun in the basketball court but I've enjoyed my share of pain at movie theaters, subway stations and yes, airplanes.

I tend to travel coach, even on business and I tend to keep an eye out for exit rows and other better than average seats.

I have to. Get me in a flight over 2 hours in a compact seat and it won't be comfortable. I usually get an aisle seat just to be able to stretch. I even feel sorry for those who seat next to me, as I tend to cross that invisible that separates the aisle seat from the middle one.

Actually, I had to stop flying low cost intra europe because of legroom. And with Ryanair and Easyjet charging for exit rows (among many other things) it just didn't make sense. But more and more airlines are now pushing for that extra revenue, with Exit Row charging and Economy Plus.

<sigh>

It's just not getting easier for us "giants", is it?
Old May 8, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
At 6'5" and 250, I feel your pain. I long ago accepted that I simply must pay the extra to get a bit more space. Whether it is Economy Plus, Economy Comfort, Premium Economy or whatever they call it, I have to pay. Likewise, exit row and/or aisle seats are worth the extra cost for anything over about an hour duration. If it will be over 4 hours domestic, I spend what it takes for first class.

For leisure award travel, I suck it up and spend the extra points for international business class.

It doesn't seem fair to have to pay more simply because we are taller but with the airlines in a competition to see how tiny they can make economy seats and how many seats they can cram into limited cabin space, there is little option. Airlines are rapidly "innovating" themselves into a munchkins-only clientele.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Many years ago, I boarded an EWR-DCA flight and noticed that the person sitting in the aisle bulkhead seat in coach was enormous. I looked up and recognized John Thompson, Jr., Georgetown University's basketball coach. I then noticed legs in the aisle most of the way back: his team. Really tall people just don't fit.

Last edited by EricH; May 9, 2017 at 7:23 am
Old May 8, 2017, 7:48 pm

There have been many times in my life that I wished I was taller (5'9"). None of those times were on an airplane.
Old May 9, 2017, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
There have been many times in my life that I wished I was taller (5'9"). None of those times were on an airplane.
And I wanted to be shorter when I was younger, so I could be an air force pilot.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Well, if it's any consolation, I'm only 5'8" and average build, but in recent times there are some airline seating arrangements that are uncomfortable even for me, whereas that didn't used to be the case in the past. I know it's not as bad as for tall folks but it's still unpleasant. And it's only going to get worse I'm afraid. I'll pay for E+ if it's available but that's not always the case especially for late-notice work travel.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:40 am

At 6'4" I certainly understand what the OP is saying. I almost always buy the extra legroom seats, and consider it money well spent. I fly first/business when it is reasonable to do so. I don't think the airlines have any obligation to give me more space for free, I simply choose airlines that sell the option to buy more space. Domestically, I think JetBlue has the best value.

Theater or stadium seats can pose a bigger struggle, as they rarely have bigger seats to choose from (though more movie theaters have big recliner seats now).

Overall, I'd still rather be tall than short!
Old May 9, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I'm 5'10" but women tend to have longer legs and mine are the same length as my brother's (he's 6"2") - I hate airplanes and have, at times, been black and blue at the knees after flying. I try for upgrades or Premium econ whenever I can
Old May 9, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
I am nowhere close to your height, and I feel your pain-- exacerbated by something I read, a day or two ago, about AA reducing some coach seats to 29"!
Old May 9, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I'm 6'6", 240, and I have exactly zero sympathy for your predicament.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:56 pm

Buy seats that give you more space.

Problem solved.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:47 am
mee

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Statman
Buy seats that give you more space.

Problem solved.
Ah yes... the "height tax" argument...

-- M
Old May 11, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by mee
Ah yes... the "height tax" argument...

-- M
So short people should get a discount?
Old May 11, 2017, 1:44 pm

6'6" 240. Flying is a pain. Fortunately through airline loyalty and a relatively generous travel budget its rare that i find myself sitting in anything less than premium economy.

If anything I find it more annoying that I can't fit into an airplane bathroom than i cant fit into an airplane seat.

Can't really ask for too much sympathy. To be blunt, i'd rather be 6'6" than 5'6"
Old May 11, 2017, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's clearly poor lifestyle choices that made you so tall. You should have to pay extra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.