Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All-inclusive resort without Zika

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 9:01 am
Original Poster

All-inclusive resort without Zika

I'm looking for a Caribbean-style all-inclusive resort, without the Caribbean risk of Zika. A nice beach, all you can eat dining (preferably with a buffet option as well), relatively inexpensive. I've been having a pretty hard time finding that in a Zika-free area.

Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions? I know a cruise would be an option to get the food part of it taken care of, but we weren't really looking to move around like you do on a cruise. Just wanted to relax and do nothing for a few days.

Also, since there are different definitions: when I say all-inclusive, I really just mean all meals included. We don't have to have tons of activities included in the price or anything like that. Like I said, we're not looking to do much.

Mods, please move if this isn't the right forum. I couldn't decide.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

general idea of budget?
location restrictions? definitely Mediterranean, probably Australia ?

many offer meal plans, a few offer optional meal plan including alcohol
some properties charge so little for food the plan isnt really necessary

could go in TravelBuzz ?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 8, 2017 at 10:13 am
Old May 8, 2017, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
general idea of budget?
location restrictions? definitely Mediterranean, probably Australia ?

many offer meal plans, a few offer optional meal plan including alcohol
some properties charge so little for food the plan isnt really necessary

could go in TravelBuzz ?
Last time we paid ~$160/night total for the two of us. I'd say anything under $250 would be reasonable. Not looking to blow a huge amount on this trip. We'll pay for the flights with miles, so don't worry about that calculation.

Location: the closer the better, although everywhere close does seem to be a Zika zone. We're worried about Zika because she's pregnant, so she also doesn't want to spend too long on a plane. I'd say max distance somewhere around 8 hours from the US (pick a coast, any coast). At least the overwater flight shouldn't be any longer than that. If we have to tack on a short one at the end, that's fine - the point is not to be on any one plane longer than that. So Australia is probably out.

No alcohol required, if that makes it easier.

I didn't realize there were many places like that in the Med. If there are specific areas we should be looking in, let me know. Thanks.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't heard of any real Zika in Hawaii (16 cases total, but with that few it's probably all people who got it somewhere else and didn't pass it on). Wouldn't that fit the bill?

Or, if you're not going to actually go into the (colder) water, but just want a nice beach, anywhere along the west coast of the US there are sure to be lots of beach resorts with no danger of Zika. Plus no risk of hurricanes, which is a consideration in the Caribbean starting soon.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 8, 2017 at 3:35 pm
Old May 8, 2017, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean all are affected by Zika.

The only nearby options which which are virtually Zika-free are Hawaii and Bermuda; neither really offer any all-inclusive options, though some hotels offer meal plans, or lounge access.

Neither destination is cheap.

Otherwise Europe is your only option for true all-inclusive (and cheap) resorts; e.g. Spain, Croatia etc.

Especially if you don't drink, why not consider a resonably priced resort/hotel and just budget $$ for food per person per day?
Old May 9, 2017, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I haven't heard of any real Zika in Hawaii (16 cases total, but with that few it's probably all people who got it somewhere else and didn't pass it on). Wouldn't that fit the bill?

Or, if you're not going to actually go into the (colder) water, but just want a nice beach, anywhere along the west coast of the US there are sure to be lots of beach resorts with no danger of Zika. Plus no risk of hurricanes, which is a consideration in the Caribbean starting soon.
Hawaii and the west coast are definitely options, they just don't have anything resembling the all-inclusive resorts we're looking for.
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean all are affected by Zika.

The only nearby options which which are virtually Zika-free are Hawaii and Bermuda; neither really offer any all-inclusive options, though some hotels offer meal plans, or lounge access.

Neither destination is cheap.

Otherwise Europe is your only option for true all-inclusive (and cheap) resorts; e.g. Spain, Croatia etc.

Especially if you don't drink, why not consider a resonably priced resort/hotel and just budget $$ for food per person per day?
Just budgeting for food may end up being what we have to do. We were avoiding that option originally for the same reason we're avoiding Zika: pregnancy. The cravings and/or indecision when it comes to food can get really bad (not to mention having to eat more frequently), so having lots of options available to us at all times would make life much easier.

I didn't realize there were many all-inclusive places in Europe. I had seen a few mentioned here and there, but I'll have to do some more looking and see what I missed. Thanks for that tip.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Hawaii certainly has plenty of food options right where you'd be staying in most any of the popular resort areas - grocery, fine dining, fast food, fast-casual, you name it. Might be better than being locked into whatever choices an AI might have - what if she doesn't have an appetite for anything on offer at that moment? My wife often changed her appetite at the very last minute when she was pregnant (I know everyone is different). Just a thought.

There may not be AIs but if you're mainly looking to just chill on the beach, the southeast US might be worth considering rather than schlep across the pond just to have basically the same beach you'd find anywhere. Plenty of condos to rent which you could find more economical overall where you can just buy groceries and fix whatever you both feel like. Any of those areas of course have plenty of food options.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like you really want a hotel that offers full board plans. This is the norm, with at least half board often being required especially in high season, at many European resorts.

Alternatively, a resort hotel with a big buffet restaurant on site could work. This would be more likely in large properties.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:55 am

Turkey is one of the cheapest options for all-ins. Your budget seems too low for most of Europe, Hawaii, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.