Reload this Page >

Be Proactive - Give Your Gate Agents a Gift Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Be Proactive - Give Your Gate Agents a Gift Card

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Expecting customers to pay 20% on top so that the waiters can make a living. Tipping is done pretty much everywhere (except for some parts of Asia), but it reaches new levels of absurdity here in the US.

Rather than offering employees sufficient pay and factoring in these costs into their prices, we got somewhat stuck to the idea that we pay for food and separately for the service.

I don't mind tipping, but I think that we lost the idea behind it. Rather than rewarding excellent service, it has become an expectation of staff to get tip. IMO they should just pay decent wages so that they don't have to impose 20% service charges and leave it to customers to reward good service.
Gotcha. So just the idea of tipping.

Wait staff in the US it has just been that way. Not sure why/when it was implanted if I am honest. And yes in Japan didn't tip anywhere. Knew not to and no one expected it. AND we had exceptional service everywhere.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I know what you mean. I give my butler and chauffeur regular bonuses. I don't give them time off though because god forbid I have to pick up a sock off the floor or drive myself to the fish and chip shop down the road!
You remove your socks by yourself?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IrishAyes
Given all the disruptions lately and pissy passengers, perhaps an act of kindness beforehand can prevent another incident where everyone is ultimately inconvenienced.

Thoughts....?

https://www.travelcodex.com/2017/04/...ou-to-do-this/
Act of kindness...until they get sacked for taking bribes.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:04 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If I traveled the same flight on a weekly basis and interacted with the same GA, I don't think it would be out of line to bring them a cup of coffee every now and then, especially if I were waiting to be upgraded.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I pay the airline for the ticket. I pay the government's taxes. I pay the airline again for an upgrade or checked bag or early boarding. I pay my credit card issuer for miles. I pay the airport commission via local taxes. I pay absurd prices for airport food and drink to further subsidize the travel ecosystem. I pay TSA for marginally faster / less insane security screening. And now some blogger thinks I ought to "pay" airline employees on top of their salaries and benefits because "they have a hard job," whose parameters were set by the airline I already paid.

No.

And if we all set out to tip everyone in our daily lives who "has a hard job", the streets would be awash in Starbucks gift cards. Starbucks baristas have a hard job. Maybe we should give them Starbucks gift cards too.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
No. No. Just no. The tipping culture is already out of control in the US and I'm disappointed to see it spreading here in the UK too. It's becoming really common for pubs here in London to have tip jars adorned with smiley faces and jokey phrases and I've even seen tip saucers in Starbucks.

Yesterday, while seeing someone off at Heathrow, the American couple printing their baggage tags at the adjacent machine tried to tip the United agent £10 just for spending a minute or two showing them how it worked. Thankfully, the agent was firm and explained gently and professionally that she was adequately compensated for her job and tipping was neither expected nor allowed.

Saying that, I do have an old Sainsbury's gift card at home. Perhaps I should give it to the driver of the number 13 bus I catch to work tomorrow morning....?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1P
Rather than rewarding excellent service, it has become an expectation of staff to get tip.
Well, it's become the expectation because it's built into the business model.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.