Wiki Posts
Search

Plastic waste on board

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Which airlines recycle?
The Canadian carriers separate out recyclable waste, so I assume they do. I am not sure if it depends on more the receiving airport than airline tho - e.g. an Air Canada flight landing at Pearson presumably deals differently with waste than the same plane landing in Haneda, Hong Kong or Heathrow?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
http://blog.lsgskychefs.com/environm...ust-recycling/

I didn't think about some countries requiring airlines/ground handlers to destroy waste of international flights. Certainly, there are quite a few countries out there that prohibit recycling for just that reason.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
IMO the airport is the one who is responsible for dealing with the trash. If they want to recycle it, and make the airline sort the trash for them, fine. If they're lazy and just dump it in the landfill, fine but don't blame the airline for using plastic cups.

What should be mentioned is that when flying, the risk of getting an illness from someone else on the plane is much greater than normal. Diseases can spread around the world in a day because of air travel.

I've seen FAs use gloves when collecting the trash before landing. There is no way I would want the same treatment to my cup with a refill -- that's almost like eating out of the trash.

There is one way you could reduce the number of plastic cups to nothing -- serve coffee or tea in a styrofoam cup, and everything else in the aluminum can it comes in, stored cold. No ice, too bad. If you want a Jack & Coke, take a few sips out of the Coke can, then pour the mini into the Coke can and now you have a mixed drink in an aluminum can (again, no ice, too bad). Aluminum can be recycled much more easily than plastic, so that's another advantage. Personally I could deal with that but a lot of people insist on ice. Also the airline has to give you a full can of soda instead of just a half which fits in the small airline size plastic cup.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Which airlines recycle?
Corendon Dutch Airlines started recycling their waste a few weeks ago. Article in Dutch: http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuw...ding-aan-boord

According to the article TuiFly does the same.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
IMO the airport is the one who is responsible for dealing with the trash. If they want to recycle it, and make the airline sort the trash for them, fine. If they're lazy and just dump it in the landfill, fine but don't blame the airline for using plastic cups.

What should be mentioned is that when flying, the risk of getting an illness from someone else on the plane is much greater than normal. Diseases can spread around the world in a day because of air travel.

I've seen FAs use gloves when collecting the trash before landing. There is no way I would want the same treatment to my cup with a refill -- that's almost like eating out of the trash.

There is one way you could reduce the number of plastic cups to nothing -- serve coffee or tea in a styrofoam cup, and everything else in the aluminum can it comes in, stored cold. No ice, too bad. If you want a Jack & Coke, take a few sips out of the Coke can, then pour the mini into the Coke can and now you have a mixed drink in an aluminum can (again, no ice, too bad). Aluminum can be recycled much more easily than plastic, so that's another advantage. Personally I could deal with that but a lot of people insist on ice. Also the airline has to give you a full can of soda instead of just a half which fits in the small airline size plastic cup.
If you are worried about germs from an FA handling something with gloves, I am astonished you would drink straight out of an aluminium can! They are notoriously filthy, are exposed to all manner of things between manufacturer and service, including being handled by the same people emptying garbage and restocking carts, being stored on floors of buildings allowing them to be exposed to rodent urine and feces, etc.

And styrofoam cups are still plastic cups!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by emma69
And styrofoam cups are still plastic cups!
And not as easily recyclable. There are many municipalities that have banned the use of Styrofoam because it doesn't break down as easily in landfills. This is also one of the main reasons fast food restaurants like McD's and BK have gone away from this type of packaging as well.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The sort of plastic that is used for cups on airlines cannot be recycled, it's as simple as that. Most of these cups end up in landfill or are burned. Some are more recycling-friendly, but even these generally aren't or, if they are, go through a very inefficient process. It is a very wasteful process.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
On my JetBlue flight this past week they separated plastic cups from all other "garbage" during the flight but don't do so for the final collection just before final approach.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:17 pm

people feel good about being green when they don't know what really happens...

...like the time i watched a grocery store employee take all the plastic bags that had been placed in a "recycling" bin...and...he put them all in the dumpster with the rest of the food/standard garbage/random trash waste from the store.

i've asked FA's before. they've told me that even thought they may place things in separate bags, most of it is for "image" but that all the waste "ends up in the same place."
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was on an AA flight last week and got tea. The FA gave me two creamers in their own plastic cup instead of just handing them to me. I thought that was pretty wasteful (but didn't think to say anything or give the cup back at the time).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.