Personal items in the overhead bin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

Thread title says it all.
Amazes me to see how many get pulled out after landing.

For clarity (had no idea this thread was still going) this was on DL Comfrot + on an MD 88. When we landed at least 7 people pulled down rollaboards and a personal item. Was forced to gate check my bag due to no space.

I always put my laptop bag in the seat in front of me when I have a rollaboard out of courtesy to others.

Last edited by apodo77; Mar 27, 2017 at 2:05 pm
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
It was an issue before 2006, which actually improved a little bit when the liquid ban (restrictions) went into effect, but then got worse in 2008 once the airlines started charging for bags and I don't see it getting better unless they take the Spirit route and charge the same (or more) for carryons than checked-baggage.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What's wrong with carry-on bags in the overheads?

How is this a problem specific to flying Delta or using SkyMiles such that this poorly articulated thread topic should be in the Delta forum?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
I'm confused. Aren't all carry on bags supposed to be removed from the O/H bins after landing?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Is OP talking about true carryons (aka "personal items") vs. rollaboards and suitcases that used to almost all be checked back in olden times?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL GM
In my experience frequent flyers, who are also usually early boarders, are the greatest offenders.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What's wrong with carry-on bags in the overheads?

How is this a problem specific to flying Delta or using SkyMiles such that this poorly articulated thread topic should be in the Delta forum?
Obviously meant personal items.
ThIrd flight in a row in ATL on the ultra modern MD 88 in comfort plus where I had to gate check my rollaboard due to all the personal items in the overhead.

Due to connections not able to board in Sky in case you wondered.

Sorry for the bad thread title.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Isn't that where carry on is supposed to be stored?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:17 pm

If you only have 1 personal item (backpack) and you want some room for your feet, isn't that your right to put it up there?

As a 6'4" gentleman I purposefully put my bag up there when I shove myself into coach.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by paramount
If you only have 1 personal item (backpack) and you want some room for your feet, isn't that your right to put it up there?

As a 6'4" gentleman I purposefully put my bag up there when I shove myself into coach.
This (from someone who is 6'4 as well). I usually check my roll-a-board so that I only have my "personal item" with me, thus I can put my personal item in the OH bin. Tell me to take it down and make room for someone else's roll-a-board and in the future I'll purposely start putting my stuff in a roll-a-board so that it can't go under the seat in front of me and I still have the space under my seat to stretch my legs.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:44 pm

What is a "personal item" in this context?

I have been checking real luggage more often on multi-segment trips which means I only have a small laptop bag. You can bet that's going in the overhead to give me more leg room.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by paramount

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
This (from someone who is 6'4 as well). I usually check my roll-a-board so that I only have my "personal item" with me, thus I can put my personal item in the OH bin. Tell me to take it down and make room for someone else's roll-a-board and in the future I'll purposely start putting my stuff in a roll-a-board so that it can't go under the seat in front of me and I still have the space under my seat to stretch my legs.
Originally Posted by shiner
What is a "personal item" in this context?

I have been checking real luggage more often on multi-segment trips which means I only have a small laptop bag. You can bet that's going in the overhead to give me more leg room.
<snark>

But....but....but..... You guys are so SELFISH!!!! You are supposed to sacrifice your legroom so that the UNSELFISH *other* passengers have room to stow their steamer trunks, coats, emotional support animals, grandmas, etc!

If your item will physically *fit* under the seat in front of you, it is incumbent upon you to do the "right thing" and save the overhead bin space for someone else! They are too cheap (they will say "too smart") to check their bag, so you HAVE to save room for them!!!!

</snark>
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
You would think most people here would know there is a difference between a carry on and a personal item. Even Delta has defined them, and has for years.

The OP is obviously talking about random things like the below:
Approved Personal Items
1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag
or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked)
or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above

Of which you are allowed exactly 1 in addition to your carry on luggage allowance.

The problem is when someone manages to board with carry on luggage, a purse, a shopping bag, and a maybe even laptop bag and somehow get past a lazy GA, and then proceeds to take up an entire overhead bin on their own.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Recent flight and he was quite insistent that it will fit.

Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by HonoraryOrange
You would think most people here would know there is a difference between a carry on and a personal item. Even Delta has defined them, and has for years. ...
Personal Item = anything placed in the overhead in a location where a FT member wants to place his item.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.