Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever told another pax he/she is being offensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever told another pax he/she is being offensive?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by DCP2016
I would have defended the guy, not you. I don't believe in security theaters and hate boot-lickers.
so you'd be happy to have no security so knives etc can get on board with lunatics
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
so you'd be happy to have no security so knives etc can get on board with lunatics
Isn't that already the case? Testing has shown that the TSA is an abysmal failure at catching such things.

But hey, at least they consistently stop passengers from traveling with a nice bottle of wine or scotch...
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by kb9522
Isn't that already the case? Testing has shown that the TSA is an abysmal failure at catching such things.

But hey, at least they consistently stop passengers from traveling with a nice bottle of wine or scotch...
This

This is Australian security at SYD.
IMHO much better customer relations than TSA.
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
people get knives on flights all the time. I have accidentally at least 4 times. No one is going to hijack a plane with a knife again. Security would be better served with behavioral (not ethic) profiling not banning knives or making people take off their shoes
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The challenge with telling someone you consider their behavior offensive is that they might take it as an attack and escalate the situation.
Yeah. Yesterday, I got seated next to the twitchy probable meth head. While they were still boarding Zone 2, he started to jab his elbow into my rib cage. The next time he makes a big twitch, I use my own arm and elbow to stand my ground (err, sit my seat) and while keeping myself entire within my seat space block him from doing it again. Which offends him to no end and he goes off on a 'Ma'am, you've got to work with me here." and I try for firm but less confrontational "It's a small plane (CRJ-700); no room over here either" Because I was a swimmer and shot putter in college and still have The Shoulders, and I'm a traffic hazard if I ooze further into the aisle.

I'm usually not great about picking up on danger signals, but this guy was weirding me out, and I would have given up the exit row and asked to be reseated if it hadn't been a 100% full flight, and I figure it's only about 40 minutes from wheels up to wheels down for ATL-VPS soI put the earbuds in and try to ignore the twitching, groin scratching, wandering about the cabin when the seatbelt sign is still on, and the attempts to elbow me again. And then, since the car is parked way out in the woods overflow parking lo where the black bears sometimes roam, I make sure to have keys in hand before leaving the terminal and am constantly looking over my shoulder as I walk out and locate my car via the keychain fob 'marco polo' method.
1flyer likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Yeah. Yesterday, I got seated next to the twitchy probable meth head. While they were still boarding Zone 2, he started to jab his elbow into my rib cage. The next time he makes a big twitch, I use my own arm and elbow to stand my ground (err, sit my seat) and while keeping myself entire within my seat space block him from doing it again. Which offends him to no end and he goes off on a 'Ma'am, you've got to work with me here."
Some people have uncontrollable tic disorders. You may well have been sitting next to one. However, he should have offered a simple and clear explanation, like "I'm sorry. I have Tourette's syndrome/a neurological condition. I know the tics can be upsetting, but I'm doing my best to minimize them. Thanks for understanding."

Many people with these conditions carry little cards they can offer people. I used to carry them myself.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Some people have uncontrollable tic disorders. You may well have been sitting next to one. However, he should have offered a simple and clear explanation, like "I'm sorry. I have Tourette's syndrome/a neurological condition. I know the tics can be upsetting, but I'm doing my best to minimize them. Thanks for understanding."

Many people with these conditions carry little cards they can offer people. I used to carry them myself.
Like a lot of people here, I'm more than glad to help another passenger if they ask proactively but go straight to a cranky 'No' if assumptions are made about what I'l just do. Would have offered him the aisle to see if it helped him if he hadn't gone straight to the manspreading.
GadgetFreak and ajGoes like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The challenge with telling someone you consider their behavior offensive is that they might take it as an attack and escalate the situation.

Don't believe me?

Just look upthread. There are already at least two posts endorsing physical retaliation against a person who's complained about someone's behavior.
Let them. If someone wants to escalate a verbal interaction to physical, that will end poorly for them.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Badenoch
What I don't believe in are "freedom advocates" who want to get into an argument about their "rights" when they are in the security line ahead of me. Find another venue to express your objections to "security theater." At the airport either get with the program or get out of the way.
In line I would object as well as I want to get forward quickly and with as little pain as possible, but if he wasn't in line holding people up I would shake his hand and thank him for looking out for our rights instead of bowing down to any sort of authority.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
No, there is a difference between actual security to stop threats and the current security theater system we have in the US today. Many other 1st world country airports have perfected a system that eliminates threats while also providing a customer service aspect to it.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by DCP2016
No, there is a difference between actual security to stop threats and the current security theater system we have in the US today. Many other 1st world country airports have perfected a system that eliminates threats while also providing a customer service aspect to it.
As pointed out earlier, this happened here in Australia in 2001. Nobody was being barked at by an American in a uniform - I suspect Sydney is one of the first-world airports you might be thinking of that includes a customer service aspect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.