Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever told another pax he/she is being offensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever told another pax he/she is being offensive?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:58 pm

Yes I was on BA upper deck Y sitting by the window and there was a young girl who kept kicking my seat and I politely told the Mother of the girl to ask for her to stop kicking. While the girl had a disability but this does not excuse her kicking my seat very hard and I almost hit my head on the IFE screen.

I reported this to the Flight Crew who passed it off. The other passenger got into my business and bashed me. I told him to please mind your own business. He claimed that I was not injured but really my neck was in pain from the sudden force. The girl kicked the upper part of my seat.

So as we are getting off the plane the man would not let me go with my Father and kept telling me how bad I am and how bad it was for me to cause a scene. Now mind you I told the Mother as did my Father more than once politely for her Daughter not to kick us. We gave them more chances and she could have moved but did not.

On the way to the jetbridge I told the Passenger that if you do not stop harassing me I will have US Border Patrol handle this and will press charges for harassment. He said don't threaten me. I said you are not welcome here in America I suggest you take the same bloody plane back home. I mean he was in my personal space. I even told this rude bloke that I will have my solicitor subpoena his information as I wrote down his seat number and have a description and report it to TSA and US Border Patrol and the San Francisco Police as he was getting into my personal space and spit while he was talking and would not let me go with my Father as I wanted to be peaceful. I politely said to the man "Excuse me may I please go with my Father". He said no and blocked me. Blocking my freedom of movement and harassment no good. What a rude Brit.

Nobody can mess with me(:

I told the flight crew to tell this guy to bugger off.

I should have recorded this and put it on Youtube.

Did I handle this good? I sure hope the bloke was scared for his entire trip that he would be stopped by a law enforcement officer for charges of verbal harassment and assault for spitting in my face and get deported back to the UK and with the potential ban of returning. Just imagine he was dressed in a suit so if he was in the middle of a meeting two law enforcement officers arrest him and take him in for harassment and then back to SFO as a criminal.

The scare that I would report it to US Border Patrol, SF Police and TSA was enough to stop him. If he continued his harassing comments I would have done a citizens arrest and asked for the closest US Customs Officer to report to the location and pressed charges. A real FTer at its finest. I was the adult in this situation and the passenger was the child.

Your in America you follow our rules buddy. I diffused the situation without getting physical.

Last edited by danielonn; Mar 16, 2017 at 3:18 pm
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
Yes I was on BA upper deck Y sitting by the window and there was a young girl who kept kicking my seat and I politely told the Mother of the girl to ask for her to stop kicking. While the girl had a disability but this does not excuse her kicking my seat very hard and I almost hit my head on the IFE screen.

I reported this to the Flight Crew who passed it off. The other passenger got into my business and bashed me. I told him to please mind your own business. He claimed that I was not injured but really my neck was in pain from the sudden force. The girl kicked the upper part of my seat.

So as we are getting off the plane the man would not let me go with my Father and kept telling me how bad I am and how bad it was for me to cause a scene. Now mind you I told the Mother as did my Father more than once politely for her Daughter not to kick us. We gave them more chances and she could have moved but did not.

On the way to the jetbridge I told the Passenger that if you do not stop harassing me I will have US Border Patrol handle this and will press charges for harassment. He said don't threaten me. I said you are not welcome here in America I suggest you take the same bloody plane back home. I mean he was in my personal space. I even told this rude bloke that I will have my solicitor subpoena his information as I wrote down his seat number and have a description and report it to TSA and US Border Patrol and the San Francisco Police as he was getting into my personal space and spit while he was talking and would not let me go with my Father as I wanted to be peaceful. I politely said to the man "Excuse me may I please go with my Father". He said no and blocked me. Blocking my freedom of movement and harassment no good. What a rude Brit.

Did I handle this good? I sure hope the bloke was scared for his entire trip that he would be stopped by a law enforcement officer for charges of verbal harassment and assault for spitting in my face and get deported back to the UK and with the potential ban of returning. Just imagine he was dressed in a suit so if he was in the middle of a meeting two law enforcement officers arrest him and take him in for harassment and then back to SFO as a criminal.

The scare that I would report it to US Border Patrol, SF Police and TSA was enough to stop him. If he continued his harassing comments I would have done a citizens arrest and asked for the closest US Customs Officer to report to the location and pressed charges. A real FTer at its finest. I was the adult in this situation and the passenger was the child.

Your in America you follow our rules buddy. I diffused the situation without getting physical.
Good god, before making legal threats you really should learn something about the law in the United States. Starting with the fact that if you live in the United States, you do not have a solicitor unless you have a personal salesperson, which isn't much of a threat, or unless you are a government agency. I'm sorry, but you don't come off as the adult in this situation (particularly if you're calling on your dad to back you up), but rather as someone who's using big words in a context you do not understand.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:27 pm

Your in America you follow our rules buddy.
You're*. Also, I've encounted this behaviour a lot in America, so I would say he was following the rules
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:03 pm

That's pretty awful. I don't see that he broke any laws. He may have annoyed you, but it doesn't sound like an assault. It also seems like the annoyance was mutual.

If you are being kicked by a child with a disability and the parent isn't doing anything about it, bring it up with the flight crew - very, very politely and discretely - and even see if you could move.

Standing in someone's way isn't illegal. I walk around a city often during the week, I almost wish people could get tickets for being in the way.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Good god, before making legal threats you really should learn something about the law in the United States. Starting with the fact that if you live in the United States, you do not have a solicitor unless you have a personal salesperson, which isn't much of a threat, or unless you are a government agency. I'm sorry, but you don't come off as the adult in this situation (particularly if you're calling on your dad to back you up), but rather as someone who's using big words in a context you do not understand.
In England a solicitor is a lawyer in the US. I was using a term the British man would be familiar with.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
How old are you? 12? "Did I handle this good?" No, you didn't. Perhaps it's your writing style but if you behaved true to what you've written, you made an unpleasant situation worse with your childish behaviour and silly threats.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
In England a solicitor is a lawyer in the US. I was using a term the British man would be familiar with.
In the UK we understand the word "lawyer" just fine. If you were trying to use UK English you failed as we would never use the word "subpoena" and certainly never in the context of "I will have my solicitor subpoena his information". This is wrong in so many ways.

I am quite appalled at this entire story. I really hope it's just trolling as I can't believe anyone would behave so badly yet think they've done nothing wrong. It's rare to take the side of the seat-kicker on a plane but in this case they seem to be the lesser of the two evils.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 4:32 am

Did I handle this good?
You handled this like a spoiled brat. Well done.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
My policy is to either stay quiet or inform a flight attendant if I feel too uncomfortable.
Yes, that is much more appropriate than to threatening somebody in closed environment!

Smart in terms of human evolution, too...you do not want to start serious altercation unless life and the limb are in danger. ^
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:58 am

Only once on a flight from ORD to PHX. Right as we started the takeoff roll the girl behind me started kicking the back of my seat. I figured she was just scared and ignored it except 20 minutes into the flight she was still doing it. I turned around and politely said "You're not going to kick the back of my seat all the way to Phoenix are you?" Her mom gave her the "knock it off NOW!" look and that was the end of it. The girl was probably 7 or 8 so she knew better than to be doing that.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
Only once on a flight from ORD to PHX. Right as we started the takeoff roll the girl behind me started kicking the back of my seat. I figured she was just scared and ignored it except 20 minutes into the flight she was still doing it. I turned around and politely said "You're not going to kick the back of my seat all the way to Phoenix are you?" Her mom gave her the "knock it off NOW!" look and that was the end of it. The girl was probably 7 or 8 so she knew better than to be doing that.
At least the parent did something about it. That's the issue is that so many parents just ignore it "that's my kid being a kid. What do you want me to do about it?" or get nasty about it.

My most recent experience was on a west coast flight out of SEA. Parents behind us had a lap infant who must have been just under the 24 month requirement. The kid was bouncing and playing and frequently hitting my wife's seat and it was even jolting my seat as well. My wife tried to just ignore it much of the flight but at one point (just as we stared descending) the seat really slammed. I turned around and see the mom is playing some kind of "patty cake" game with the kid and the kid is bouncing back and forth into the seat and my wife finally had enough and while not nasty, said in a stern tone that the kid kept hitting her seat and asked them to stop. It did finally cease from there though during deplaning the dad gave us a really nasty look as he stood up in the aisle to get his things. I know, how awful that people don't want their seat kicked during a flight.

Maybe a new rule should be that parents have to sit IN FRONT OF their own kids on planes so that kids kick their parents' seats.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:24 pm

I was surprised mom gave her "the look" as well but it annoyed me that she even let it go on that long. I guess having 15+ years of retail under my belt at the time helped since I've gotten pretty good at dealing with misbehaving kids. I've found in 95% of cases when dealing with kids smiling and using a cheery voice will usually get what you want. Of course if mom or dad adds their two cents in who knows what'll happen.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by bibbju
In the UK we understand the word "lawyer" just fine. If you were trying to use UK English you failed as we would never use the word "subpoena" and certainly never in the context of "I will have my solicitor subpoena his information". This is wrong in so many ways.

I am quite appalled at this entire story. I really hope it's just trolling as I can't believe anyone would behave so badly yet think they've done nothing wrong. It's rare to take the side of the seat-kicker on a plane but in this case they seem to be the lesser of the two evils.
To me this is just a story made up by either a child or someone who thinks they can write like one ! I am sure we will not hear from him again
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
And a "Please, shut the F up. Thank you!" didn't fix it?

This is usually my approach and so far it worked very well.
Worked for me once at the theater. We were watching a musical and the three 20 somethings in the row to the left of us were talking and singing along with the music. I leaned over and "Shhhhushhed" them...one of them leaned forward and gave me a dirty look so I said, "Shut the .... up!" none of them said another word the rest of the show.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:33 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum

Thsi appeared to happen again. Are you stalking that family now then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.