Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever told another pax he/she is being offensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever told another pax he/she is being offensive?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by WorldLux
And a "Please, shut the F up. Thank you!" didn't fix it?

This is usually my approach and so far it worked very well.
I wouldn't go with that. If someone asked me kindly to amend any behavior that was bothering them, I would of course be courteous and do so, but if someone said that to me, I just might take umbrage to it...
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I must be some kind of wuss. Basically, I never confront people for this. I just sit there and let my blood pressure rise.

On a Eurostar some time ago, two drunken guys in the seats in front of me were talking about their sexual exploits. One was mocking the other for not taking advantage of an opportunity to cheat on his wife. They were using adult language to discuss specific sex acts. It was inappropriate. It was loud. I hoped they'd tire of the topic, but they basically kept it up for the whole journey from Paris to London. Perhaps I should have stepped up to these drunks. In retrospect, everyone else in the car would have been on my side.

On a flight from LHR to MIA earlier this year, I was in an exit row. The person across the aisle and behind me decided to say very loudly at the start of the safety demonstration "What's the point? If this thing goes down, we're all dead anyway, right?" I looked at the FA and raised my eyebrows in horror. She suggested that I move to the other end of my row. I did so, but even after moving four seats away, and putting in earplugs, I could still hear every inane comment he was making to his neighbor throughout just about the entire flight (and it's a long flight). His favorite topic of conversation seemed to be the cost of various items in foreign countries vs. in the USA. How much is a gallon of gas? Gee. How much is a beer? Wow. Why do they tax things so much? Uhuh. His neighbor had an appropriate "indoor voice" that I could not hear through my ear plugs. I told myself that it was better than hearing him talking about airplanes crashing, so I sat and stewed.

Perhaps I give people the benefit of the doubt, or perhaps I hope that they'll tire, or perhaps I fear that confronting them will make a bad situation worse. I have started to think that an early intervention is probably wise - but then I feel like the guy who tells the other cinema goers to be quiet during the commercials. I hate that guy.

Last edited by jib71; Mar 12, 2017 at 5:26 pm
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Yes I told an older woman who was berating the cabin crew loudly and at length about a delay on the flight. Something wasn't quite right on the pre flight check and the captain had quite rightly called for engineering to sort it out and it delayed us by an hour or so... the old bag whinged and moaned at and about the cabin crew for the duration of the delay, all through the flight and again on landing..... it was just non stop.

When I strod to get my bag down, i told her in no uncertain terms that she had said enough on the matter, and that we were ALL inconvenienced by the delay, not just her, and that it was not the cabin crews fault....

She went to say something back to me and I simply told her that I had heard enough from her and had no interest in what she had to say as I was sick and tired of the sound of her voice.... she was left catching flies while the passengers round me quietly said "well said!" to me.

She tried to catch up with me at the carousel to tell me I was rude, and I just said the only person who had displayed questionable behaviour on the whole flight was her..... and walked off with my luggage!
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
I don't see why people are afraid to politely ask the offending party to hush. It's not that hard and they're not going to hurt you for doing it.
a lot of people are uncomfortable with speaking up.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Not an intentional offensive situation, but many years ago I was coming home on a friday from a long work week trip on the now defunct YX (Midwest Airlines). A family boarded with several kids and one of their sons, 6-7 y.o. ended up on the aisle next to me. Good kid, very bright, but immediately started talking my arm off, non-stop. I just wanted my vodka soda and chill. At the time, YX had individual entertainment players and headsets for an extra charge. When the FA came by, I rented one for the kid, turned to "Dad" who was sitting behind us with the boy's sister, asked o.k.? He smiled knowingly yes. I tuned it to the kids cartoon selections. The little guy, was thrilled, and quiet the whole flight. 10 bucks, as I recall, well spent.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by nmh1204
a lot of people are uncomfortable with speaking up.
If someone is truly obnoxious, another passenger speaking to them has a good chance of not turning out well. I'm certainly not going to argue with another passenger. While judgment is called for, I think this is FA's business, and I would not hesitate to call (or go to) them and ask them to handle it.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Only once with two parents who wouldn't control their brat. I politely asked them to stop him from kicking my seat. When he continued I asked again in a manner that was neither polite or repeatable here. They kept him under control for the rest of the flight. The next step was the call button.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I asked again in a manner that was neither polite or repeatable here.
If you did that to me I would order a Sprite and "accidentally" spill it over your head.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by davie355
If you did that to me I would order a Sprite and "accidentally" spill it over your head.
Why? Do you think it's your kid's right to kick the seat in front? If you take no notice of a polite request then something stronger is needed. Sounds like father like son here.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The challenge with telling someone you consider their behavior offensive is that they might take it as an attack and escalate the situation.

Don't believe me?

Just look upthread. There are already at least two posts endorsing physical retaliation against a person who's complained about someone's behavior.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Just after 9/11 i flew out of Sydney. Lots of double screening. At the departure gate a guy wss complaining about having to remove his shoes again and was being a big jerk. I said.. shut up and stop complaining and also think of what might happen if shoes aren't checked. He took his off immediately for screening.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by lloydah
Why? Do you think it's your kid's right to kick the seat in front? If you take no notice of a polite request then something stronger is needed. Sounds like father like son here.
It wouldn't happen. If he doesn't have what it takes to keep his own child under control there is zero likelihood of him pouring soda over a complete stranger. He'd fantasize about it but never do it.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The challenge with telling someone you consider their behavior offensive is that they might take it as an attack and escalate the situation.

Don't believe me?

Just look upthread. There are already at least two posts endorsing physical retaliation against a person who's complained about someone's behavior.
And just look at many of the reports from recent years of passengers being removed from a flight after confrontation - even one that was verbal-only - that the FA decided was a "threat" - and it's not always the original offender who solely gets the boot. Like it or not (I don't) FAs seem to be more hypersensitive to any sort of commotion nowadays - choose your battles wisely.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:52 am
Suspended

One time, someone kick my seat when I try to recline, stand up, hurling some expletives while pointing out that he himself recline his own seat.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
I don't see why people are afraid to politely ask the offending party to hush. It's not that hard and they're not going to hurt you for doing it.
99% of people will probably comply with what you request if polite. Its the 1% that end up being crazy that make folks decide to not say anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.